Do You Uber?

jcboy

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2015 09:37 pm
About six months ago I downloaded the Uber app on my iPhone. So now when we go out to dinner and have a cocktail or two we don’t have to worry about waiting for a taxi, I simply click on my Uber app and within minutes a car arrives and the cost is about a third the price of a taxi. I personally think Uber great. Now I have read some bad reviews about Uber but I can’t say I’ve had a bad experience with them since we’ve been Ubering.

Plus the cars the Uber drivers have can’t be older then 4 years, the cars are clean the drivers are nice and friendly, unlike some of the taxi drivers you come across.

So what do you think? Have you Ubered yet?

View best answer, chosen by jcboy
ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2015 10:19 pm
@jcboy,
no

won't

they don't do very good clearance of the drivers and there are questions about the insurance on the vehicles and drivers

also some sketchy stuff going on around licensing that one of my media guru buddies has been sending me updates on

same thing with air bnb - staying far far away from that as well
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 02:17 am
No, but I will. Just over Christmas I was asking my two girls who live in Seattle if they have done it, they said often. And one is a bit paranoid about safety. I have never done taxi in seattle because I either have my car or a mass transit plan, and seattle has lots of mass transit, But I am going to try Uber just so I will not be a virgin anymore.

Girls love it btw, never more than 10 min for a ride, cheap cheap cheap, and neither has been raped yet. They actually like the drivers.
0 Replies

EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 05:53 pm
Heck we use Uber all the time, we haven't had any problems, fast reliable and very cheap. Now we did have that one close call when we were almost broad sided by an SUV because the Uber driver cut him off but that could have happened with a taxi just the same. Very Happy
ehBeth

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 06:11 pm
@EqualityFLSTPete,
Be warned about possible insurance coverages if you are in an accident in an uber vehicle. Make sure your own insurance will cover you in case they don't have the best coverages. Particularly make sure you've got good underinsured TP coverage.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 06:19 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Be warned about possible insurance coverages if you are in an accident in an uber vehicle. Make sure your own insurance will cover you in case they don't have the best coverages. Particularly make sure you've got good underinsured TP coverage.

WHY?

Quote:
From the time a driver accepts a trip request through our app until the completion of the ride, our partners have $1 million of coverage for driver liability. We were also the first ridesharing request service to include $1 million of coverage for uninsured/underinsured motorists, meaning that passengers and drivers are also covered for injuries when another party is at fault and lacks sufficient insurance. This $1 million coverage from trip acceptance to drop-off is consistent across cities. This coverage kicks in regardless of whether the driver’s personal insurance applies to the trip. We have also added contingent comprehensive and collision insurance during trips, up to $50,000/incident with a $1,000 deductible.

http://blog.uber.com/uberXridesharinginsurance
farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 06:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
we don't have any ubers around here. We got neighbors wholl pick you up if yer cars are in the garage . I even get rides into town on an Amish buggy whenever I have the hour of spare time to waste on a buggy ride.
0 Replies

ehBeth
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 06:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
$1,000,000 is too low for liability coverage

that's below the minimum for a good personal policy, let alone a commercial policy

people can hit $50,000+ in hospital bills in 3 to 5 days in the US
an actual serious injury - where the driver is liable - is going to run into millions

http://www.policygenius.com/blog/insurance-secret-uber-doesnt-want-know/

Quote:
All of that backstory is very important in understanding the debate happening across the country right now: who, exactly, is liable when a driver gets into an accident?

It's a question that strikes at the heart of how these companies self-identify. If they are just facilitating a relationship between a third-party driver and a user, as they claim they do as "technology companies," then they shouldn't be liable for much, if anything.

That leaves much of the insurance burden on the drivers, who are using their own personal cars and their own personal car insurance (PCI). What these drivers may not know, however, is that their PCI policy may not cover them if they're driving for Uber, Lyft, or any other "ride-sharing" app.

Despite the Lyft website describing their drivers as "your friend with a car," auto insurance companies see them as commercial drivers. If you have a PCI policy, insurers typically won’t cover an accident that occurs while you’re conducting a commercial activity.

depending on the insurer, cancellation ab initio can happen and you're SOL if your own insurance isn't good

Quote:

Ab Initio
This Latin term means "from the beginning". An insurance policy may be cancelled 'ab initio' if the insurer felt that there had been a non disclosure serious enough to not wish to proceed with the policy at all. Normally the insurer would refund the premium paid.
0 Replies

shanewilsonjr

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 09:13 am
@jcboy,
Not yet !
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 01:08 pm
@jcboy,
No and never. Two words: surge pricing. I don't need Uber because NYC has the best public transit system on the continent.

Surge pricing is legalized highway robbery.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 10:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
I remember being in an ethics class where the topic of conversation was why it is wrong to charge ten times the regular price for a generator the day before a hurricane hits. I dont think that premise would get away unharmed today. Children of the "me generation" proclaim to be less selfish than their parents, but the apples dont fall from the tree in reality. This is how we get low talent auto-tuned punks making $50 million a year, and EMT's on average make $14 a hour....everyone is entitled to a much or as little as they can get.

I object.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 06:11 pm
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 06:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
That's funny!! Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 04:42 pm
http://www.blogto.com/city/2015/03/police_crack_down_on_uberx_drivers_in_toronto/

Quote:
Toronto police are getting serious about cracking down on UberX drivers in Toronto. Following a series of arrests earlier this month, 11 people have been formally charged with various violations of the Highway Traffic Act, including operating a taxi without the appropriate licence and driving without adequate insurance.

UberX allows any Canadian citizen or permanent resident over 21 years of age with a recent four-door vehicle, valid driving license and insurance policy to begin accepting fares. The controversial concept has come under fire from cities and taxi industry groups around the world. The City of Toronto launched legal action last November, citing "serious concerns" about the safety of UberX.

"Anyone driving as an UberX driver is doing so in violation of city bylaws at their own peril," Tracey Cook, Executive Director of Municipal Licensing and Standards, said at the time. It doesn't appear this month's action by police is related to the city's ongoing action.

Uber identifies itself as a technology company and says it doesn't have to comply with local regulations governing taxis. Drivers who qualify for the UberX program are covered by a $5 million company insurance policy, but are asked to check their own insurance will remain valid if they hit the road.

The arrests were all made on the weekend of March 7-9 in 12 Division in the northwest of the city.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 06:41 pm
@ehBeth,
Someone is sending a message I see. And hurting a few select citizens to do it. Ya gotta break some eggs and all...........
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 06:47 pm
@ehBeth,
Tsarstepan is right about the surge pricing. You have to be careful, if there are not many cars in your area at the time you request one you pay more, the last time we were charged $60.00 round trip, which normally cost us less then twenty bucks the last time we called them for the same trip.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 06:52 pm
@jcboy,
I wouldn't worry about the price.

I'd worry about the insurance coverage. I wouldn't set foot in an Uber vehicle without having the highest 3rd party coverage available to me on my personal vehicle.

More insurers are cancelling policies ab initio if they find out the vehicle they're insuring as a private vehicle has been used for business purposes.

You don't want to personally be on the hook if the vehicle you're in is in an accident and has its coverage pulled.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 06:55 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about the price.
If they are not in your face about how much their service costs before we book them then there is a huge problem. If we cant when planning predict to some degree how much their product costs then there is a huge problem. Chill, just add you pet problem to the list.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 10:53 am
@hawkeye10,
http://i62.tinypic.com/23ubj9v.jpg
Uber Tries Charging Customer $12,000 For One Nerve-Racking Ride
http://gothamist.com/2015/04/21/uber_12k_ride.php
chai2

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 03:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
Hmm. I just read that story, and the upshot of it was Uber acknowledged from the get go that was some kind of mistake, and were working on adjusting it.

She was billed 50 some dollars for a fare, but contested it. Uber was going to credit her about 15 dollars, when she started getting emails about $12,000.

This Jaime woman was getting all kinds of hysterical in her emails, even though she later said she didn't fear she her credit card was going to be charged.

It's not like Uber was actually charging her $12,000.

In any event, she chose Uber instead of other transportation because she was afraid she was going to be late for her pub crawl. Couldn't risk missing a bar or two.
0 Replies