Riddle/story thing is kicking my ass, someone help ;-;

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2015 02:54 am
Okay so this is a riddle story thing a friend of mine told me, she had no idea what it meant and was hoping I could figure it out. I couldn't, so I asked a bunch of my friends for help. No one could figure it out so now I'm here.

The riddle story thing is about purple pedals.

So there's this kid, and him and his family just moved to a new city. The kid wants to walk to school, but his mom feels like he's not ready. A couple years later he asks if he can walk to school again, and his mom says okay. She explains to him that on the way to his school there's a bar, and when he gets to the bar he has to run as fast as he can so he doesn't hear or see anything inappropriate. So the next day the kid goes on his first walk to school. When he gets to the bar, he decides just to be a badass and leisurely walk in front of the bar. As he does this, a large shitfaced drunk naked man runs out of the bar, picks up the kid over his head and screams "PURPLE PEDALS!", sets him down and keeps running. The kid is so traumatized he runs all the way to school crying, plops down in his desk, and continues crying. The teacher asks his why he's crying and so he explains how the naked drunk man picked him up and yelled purple pedals. The teacher becomes enraged at him for saying purple pedals and sends him to the principals office. When he gets there the principal asks what happened. So the kid explains again about the purple pedals. The principal gets enraged, and calls the kid's mother. The mother asks his what's going wrong but the kid won't say. So his mom comes and takes him home. On the way home the mom asks again what happened, and the kid explains the purple pedals incident. His mom gets angry, stops the car and kicks him out. She tells him he can walk home and his dad will deal with him when he gets home. So the kid walks home, and sits on the couch to wait for his dad. When his dad gets home, he asks him what's going on. The kid refuses to explain it again because it always ended with someone yelling at him. Hours pass and his dad is still asking what happened and the kid says he can't explain it. The dad gets fed up and threatens to kick the kids ass if he doesn't say what happened. So he decides to tell him and explains the purple pedals incident. The dad gets stupid angry, kicks his ass anyways, and kicks him out of the house. He tells the kid to never come back. So the kid starts walking. He's been walking for hours and it night time now. A cop pulls up next to him and asks why he's out on the street so late. The kid tells him he got kicked out of the house and can never go back. The cop is confused and concerned and asks what happened, but the kid refuses to explain due to his fear of being yelled at. The cop gives his whole "serve and protect" speech thingy, and convinces the kid to tell him what happened. So the kid tells his purple pedals story to the cop, and the cop gets angry. The cop tazes him and beats him. He takes the kid down to the station and puts him in jail. The kid gets sentenced to 30 years in jail. He serves his time being beaten and such by the other inmates for his purple pedals story, and gets out after his 30 years. The kid has nowhere to go, no place to stay, and no one to talk to. So he goes back to the bar where this all started at again and orders a Mountain Dew. He's sitting at the bar and from across the bar he sees the man who yelled purple pedals at him. He finishes his Mountain Dew, walks over to the guy ready to kick his ass, and yells at him for ruining his life. The dude apologizes. He asks the dude what purple pedals means, and the dude gets scared, and says he cant say purple pedals in the middle of the bar. Dude tells him if he really wants to know, he should meet him in the alley across the street at midnight. He agrees and leaves the dude alone, and leaves. At midnight he returns to the bar, and sees the dude in the alley. He crosses the street to go ask dude all these questions he's kept in his mind all these years, and gets hit by a bus.

The moral of the story is: Look both ways before you cross the street.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 442 • Replies: 7
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by derriksaysroar
contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2015 03:59 am
You cannot "figure it out" because there is nothing to figure out. It is a tease. The teller gets the listener's attention by spinning a long, involved and increasingly unlikely story, and in so doing raises the listener's expectations that the ending will bring some kind of explanation, but it doesn't. The listener is let down with a bump. The story is a textbook example of a "shaggy dog story", that is, an extremely long-winded anecdote characterized by extensive narration of typically irrelevant incidents and terminated by an anticlimax or a pointless punchline.

Shaggy dog stories play upon the audience's preconceptions of joke-telling. The audience listens to the story with certain expectations, which are either simply not met or met in some entirely unexpected manner. A lengthy shaggy dog story derives its humour from the fact that the joke-teller held the attention of the listeners for a long time (such jokes can take five minutes or more to tell) for no reason at all, as the end resolution is essentially meaningless.
derriksaysroar

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2015 04:14 am
@contrex,
Well **** .-.

Thanks though dude, I guess your response was a kind of shaggy dog thing also, haha :3
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2015 04:20 am
Here's another one:

A cowboy rides home to the ranch and finds that his house is burned to the ground, his horses have all been stolen, his livestock slaughtered, his dogs shot down, his wife raped and murdered and his ranch hands tortured and hanged. One man, barely alive, manages to gasp out before dying: "It. . .it. . .was Shanghai Pete." Grief-stricken, the cowboy buries his wife, his ranch hands and his dogs. He then drags all of the livestock to a pit and pushes them in, covering their corpses with lime. Rage begins to set in and the desire for revenge overwhelms him. He mounts his faithful horse and rides for town at a full gallop. Pulling up at the saloon in a cloud of dust, he jumps off his horse and collars the first person he sees. Grabbing him and shaking him, he screams in the man's face: "Do you know where Shanghai Pete can be found?!" "In. . .in. . .the s-s-saloon!" Stammers the man. The cowboy storms through the swinging doors and the saloon falls deathly silent. The cowboy scans the room from under the brim of his hat and says: "Which one of you low-life, motherfucking sonsabitches is Shanghai Pete, who burned down my house, stole my horses, killed all my livestock, shot down my dogs, raped and murdered my wife, and tortured and hanged all my ranch hands?" A man dressed in black, easily 6'8" tall and nearly as wide, turns from the bar with a shotgun in his hand and cocks both barrels. "I'm Shanghai Pete and I did all those things! So what!!?" he thundered. "Well knock that **** off, okay?" says the cowboy.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2015 04:58 am
Another one. You have to suppose that it is sometime after World War 2 and Germany discovers that Adolf Hitler is still alive and hiding out in South America. Germany is in a mess and they decide they want him back as leader, so they send a team out to ask him to come back. Straight away he says "No! I'm not coming back!" so the team leader says "We'll pay you a billion dollars a year". "No!" says Hitler again. "Also we'll build you a solid gold palace to live in". "Well, maybe", says Hitler. "And all the young dancing girls you can screw" adds the German team leader. "Keep going" says Hitler. They add to the offer 50 Ferraris, a giant yacht and a personal jumbo jet. "OK, I'll do it", says Hitler, "but one more thing." "What?" says the chief negotiator. "No more mister nice guy!" says Hitler.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2015 06:42 am
Its called a 'shaggy dog' story, the non sequitur of the joke world. Flip Wilson was the master of telling this type of joke.

From Wikipedia

This article is about the joke. For the television program of the same name, see Shaggy Dog Story (TV). For other uses, see Shaggy dog (disambiguation).

In its original sense, a shaggy dog story is an extremely long-winded anecdote characterized by extensive narration of typically irrelevant incidents and terminated by an anticlimax or a pointless punchline.

Shaggy dog stories play upon the audience's preconceptions of joke-telling. The audience listens to the story with certain expectations, which are either simply not met or met in some entirely unexpected manner.[1] A lengthy shaggy dog story derives its humour from the fact that the joke-teller held the attention of the listeners for a long time (such jokes can take five minutes or more to tell) for no reason at all, as the end resolution is essentially meaningless.[2]

Contents

1 The archetypal shaggy dog story
2 Examples in literature
3 Examples in music
4 See also
5 References
6 Further reading

The archetypal shaggy dog story

The commonly believed archetype of the shaggy dog story is a story that concerns a shaggy dog. The story builds up, repeatedly emphasizing how shaggy the dog is. At the climax of the story, someone in the story reacts with, "That dog's not so shaggy." The expectations of the audience that have been built up by the presentation of the story, that the story will end with a punchline, are thus disappointed. Ted Cohen gives the following example of this story:[1]

A boy owned a dog that was uncommonly shaggy. Many people remarked upon its considerable shagginess. When the boy learned that there are contests for shaggy dogs, he entered his dog. The dog won first prize for shagginess in both the local and the regional competitions. The boy entered the dog in ever-larger contests, until finally he entered it in the world championship for shaggy dogs. When the judges had inspected all of the competing dogs, they remarked about the boy's dog: "He's not that shaggy."

However, authorities disagree as to whether this particular story is the archetype after which the category is named. Eric Partridge, for example, provides a very different story, as do William and Mary Morris in The Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins.

According to Partridge and the Morrises, the archetypical shaggy dog story involves an advertisement placed in The Times announcing a search for a shaggy dog. In the Partridge story, an aristocratic family living in Park Lane is searching for a lost dog, and an American answers the advertisement with a shaggy dog that he has found and personally brought across the Atlantic, only to be received by the butler at the end of the story who takes one look at the dog and shuts the door in his face saying "But not so shaggy as that, sir!" In the Morris story, the advertiser is organizing a competition to find the shaggiest dog in the world, and after a lengthy exposition of the search for such a dog a winner is presented to the aristocratic instigator of the competition, who says "I don't think he's so shaggy."[3][4]
Examples in literature

A typical shaggy dog story occurs in Mark Twain's book about his travels west, Roughing It. Twain's friends encourage him to go find a man called Jim Blaine when he is properly drunk, and ask him to tell "the stirring story about his grandfather's old ram".[5] Twain, encouraged by his friends who have already heard the story, finally finds Blaine, an old silver miner, who sets out to tell Twain and his friends the tale. Blaine starts out with the ram ("There never was a bullier old ram than what he was"), and goes on for four more mostly dull but occasionally hilarious unparagraphed pages. Along the way, Blaine tells many stories, each of which connects back to the one before by some tenuous thread, and none of which has to do with the old ram. Among these stories are: a tale of boiled missionaries; of a lady who borrows a false eye, a peg leg, and the wig of a coffin-salesman's wife; and a final tale of a man who gets caught in machinery at a carpet factory and whose "widder bought the piece of carpet that had his remains wove in..." As Blaine tells the story of the carpet man's funeral, he begins to fall asleep, and Twain, looking around, sees his friends "suffocating with suppressed laughter." They now inform him that "at a certain stage of intoxication, no human power could keep [Blaine] from setting out, with impressive unction, to tell about a wonderful adventure which he had once had with his grandfather's old ram — and the mention of the ram in the first sentence was as far as any man had heard him get, concerning it."
Examples in music

Arlo Guthrie's classic anti-war story-song "Alice's Restaurant Massacree" is a shaggy dog story about the military draft, hippies, and improper disposal of garbage.[6]

David Bromberg's version of "Bullfrog Blues" (on "How Late'll Ya Play 'Til?") is a rambling shaggy dog story performed as a talking blues song.[7][8]
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2015 06:44 am
I beat you to it, bobsal.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2015 07:04 am
@contrex,
Yes, but you're awake and I'm not. I get extra points.
0 Replies