my new ecru-ist neighborhood

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 06:18 am
ok so me and the nun have bought this house in the most mayonnaise neighorhood imaginable a few blocks outside of a controlled covenant area where all the houses are painted various shades of ecru. On the block where we will live there are a total of 2 trees planted in front yards and every yard is landscaped with rock, nary a hint of plant life. so here I am immediately thinking, the front door will become chinese red and the front yard will be richly planted with colourful native flora. btw we really like the house and plan to spend our remaining years in it. as we all have our good defects and our bad defects, I shall attempt to let my freak flag fly (pink plastic flamingos near the mailbox?) without overtly upsetting the social eco-system of neighborly conviviality. wish us luck.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,277 • Replies: 28
No top replies

George

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 06:40 am
Ah, here comes the welcome wagon now, followed by a procession of your neighbors bearing torches, pitchforks and scythes. Looks like a great party shaping up.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 06:50 am
An ecru flamingo would be more elegant -
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 06:58 am
There goes the neighborhood! Laughing
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:02 am
Ah yes, another adventure with Dys, my darling anarchist, leftist, obscure and obtuse, bearded, long-haired, Vietnam Vets Against the War cowboy. Yep, we'll fit right in.

Actually, the people we've met have been very friendly; as most of them are hispanic, this isn't terribly surprising.

We can't wait to start on the garden. Albuquerque has a very long growing season and a wide variety of beautiful native plants. Even with very little water, there isn't any reason not to have color in the garden instead of rocks. Colored rocks are the lazy man's way of zeriscaping.

Gotta pack, the truck is already loaded. We're on our way to ABQ for house inspections.

George, please notify the rest of a2k if we don't return by the end of the week. Your theory about the wecoming committee might be true.....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:05 am
<waving> Goodbye to the old, Dys & Diane. A the very best with the new! Very Happy
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:36 am
My love and wishes to the two of you;-- I am sure that you will love it there Very Happy.

0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 08:13 am
There goes the neighborhood
Msolga said "There goes the neighborhood." Actually, there goes my garage. Dys and Diane are bringing down a load of books and winter clothing they don't need at this time and storing them in my garage until they take posession of the house in July.

I drove around their new neighborhood this week with a bull horn warning the neighbors that their little community (about a mile from my home) was about to be disrupted. But they don't seem to care; must have bad taste in people. They probably all deserve each other.

BBB :wink: Twisted Evil :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 08:14 am
This is sounding more & more promising, BBB! Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 08:15 am
Sounds great guys! OUTSIDE the covenant area -- that's the important part. Chinese red door sounds fab.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 08:21 am
demolition time
Msolga, as Dys would say, "well yeah." These crazy people buy a house they like. What is the first thing they are going to do? Tear it apart, that's what. My darlin handyman, Henry, is going to be spending a lot of his time over there installing new tile floors and four skylights, and painting.

How am I going to get any work done on my house with Diane keeping Henry busy? Sob!

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 08:36 am
BBB's housewarming gift to Dys and Diane
I've already purchased my house warming gift for Dys and Diane. Being a practical person, I couldn't think of anything better for friends moving from an apartment into a house. I'm giving them the Total Trolley 4-in-1 Magic Helper w/Flexi-deck & Storage Crate with the garden accessory.

"Share the load of your next home improvement project with the Total Trolley. A hand truck, dolly, flatbed cart, and step ladder all in one, this handy helper makes it easy to do it yourself."

"Ideal for common everyday chores like carting groceries and changing light bulbs, this multipurpose cart also excels at more extensive endeavors. Use it for gardening, moving furniture, or almost any household venture. The Flexi-deck easily transports smaller items, or attaches to the step ladder as a shelf. And the collapsible crate carries recyclables, sundries, or supplies off without a hitch. Two bungee cords are also included to keep items stable and secure."

"Folded, measures approximately 42"L x 17"W x 7"H. Weighs approximately 25 lbs."

"The all-in-one hand truck, dolly, flatbed cart, and step ladder includes yellow plastic Flexi-deck, collapsible crate, and two 36"L bungee cords. The black steel tube frame folds almost flat for space-saving storage, easy to assemble with included wrench. Weight limits: ladder 200 lbs; static load cart 800 lbs; hand truck 150 lbs."

I also got the garden accessory because I know they will spend most of their time outside creating beautiful gardens.

"Total Trolley Garden & Garage Kit:"

"Take versatility to a whole new level with this Total Trolley Garden and Garage Kit. The three-in-one kit dramatically enhances your utility options with a portable seat for garden work, a tool caddy for holding garden and garage necessities, and a large plastic bag holder for quick disposal of leaves or garbage. Light duty steel brackets offer durability. Yellow plastic seat."

I'm also giving them my brand new lawn mower for their little patch of lawn in the rear yard because I won't be needing it any more.

BBB Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 09:01 am
This is so exciting :-D All the happiness and joy to you both. You deserve it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 09:05 am
BBB
Maddy has already discovered Dys' shoes; he loves chewing on them.

BBB
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:54 am
D&D--

Hold your dominion--old and new.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:56 am
Which part of the city now? I hear home prices are pretty spendy there - Ma and Pa were just here to visit from there.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 11:00 am
Sounds interesting.
Make sure you're xeriscaping in the yard - or I'll have to turn you in.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 12:00 pm
Go for the chinese red front door! That's what color mine is. I have a 2-story painted brick (painted sage green, ivory trim...uh oh, is ivory too close to ecru? well, it's just the trim.)

Around here, everything looks like Home Depot had a sale on taupe paint. I swear, when we first bought this house it was that color, and it matched the concrete driveway and sidewalk. Dead, dead, dead.

My neighbors were fairly anxious when told I was going to paint it sage green. But I made up for it at Christmas. We put up white lights. (That's the rule, btw, no garish multicolored ones like I love, just white. Put up white lights at Christmas, and you can paint your front door any damn color you like and they'll think you're okay.)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 12:08 pm
Ecru, Brutus.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 12:18 pm
Husker
Husker, Dys and Diane's house (and mine) is on the North West side of the Rio Grande River.

BBB
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » my new ecru-ist neighborhood
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/17/2024 at 01:35:51