A band that should be known

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:53 pm
They're starting to become popular now, but I hope that everyone soon hears about the band Story Of The Year. They're a punk/rock group. Yeah, there are a lot of those out there.. and some do sound alike.. but for some reason, Story Of The Year has stuck to me. I really like the emotion in the lead singer's voice. In tracks such as "Anthem of Our Dying Day", he really sounds like hes pushing his emotion into his voice. This is also the case with "Until the Day I die".

If you've never heard any of Story Of The Year's music, I recommend listening to the two mentioned songs, "Anthem of Our Dying Day" and "Until the Day I Die", first. I think they are a great band, not just another one of those little-known punk bands.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,698 • Replies: 26
No top replies

fluffhead237

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:23 am
Not really my style of music. Reminds me of the rest of the pop "punk" out there. Thanks for the suggestion though.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:29 am
One of their guys got the hell beat out of him by a couple of Godsmacks crew just recently.....Metal rules!!!!!
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 12:26 pm
Urgh, pop punk sucks guys.
The only pop punk out there that is really cool is Avril Lavigne - and that just because she's a hottie!

Yumm yumm Under Your Skin Avril... :-) :-D :-o
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:05 pm
IMO, the only cool pop punk groups out there were The Buzzcocks (one song of theirs was used in Shrek II, covered of course, which makes me feel old), Generation X (Kiss Me Deadly is a great tune), and I will give a moderate nod to the first Green Day album. I don't really consider Avril pop punk, maybe today's version of 'alternative', but not pop punk, or power pop. Heh heh, I am old.
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:19 pm
You consider Green Day "pop" punk? How's that man?
Green Day's older LPs are IMO pretty much what I'd call punk.
Avril on the other hand is like mainstream punk (you know like being showable on MTV at noon), which is pop punk when it comes to my opinion.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:21 pm
I think Green Day has had enough success to be considered pop punk. Now, The Angry Samoans, or even the Dead Kennedys, that was punk, or more specifically, post-punk, or hardcore.
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:24 pm
What does being a punk band have to do with the level of success?
Now consider NOFX. Those guys made a hell lot of money but I'm sure no one would ever dare to call em pop punks - I mean even though there last releases really puked.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:24 pm
thehamster wrote:
The only pop punk out there that is really cool is Avril Lavigne - and that just because she's a hottie!

Yumm yumm Under Your Skin Avril... :-) :-D :-o

I agree completely. She is smokin' hot.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:31 pm
thehamster wrote:
What does being a punk band have to do with the level of success?
Now consider NOFX. Those guys made a hell lot of money but I'm sure no one would ever dare to call em pop punks - I mean even though there last releases really puked.

Green Day have had plenty of exposure on MTV. Their songs are incredibly catchy and well-produced. Don't get me wrong, I dig the band a lot, but I grew up with raw, nasty, badly-produced real punk, when it was actually still an underground movement. Maybe it's not so much about the music as it is about a change in philosophy with the bands these days, and with the new nature of the music industry. Avril is hot, I concur.
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:34 pm
Well OK as long as Avril is still the hottie in the house Wink
I guess you're right. There may've been a grand shift in philosophy of those bands thus making the age gap here pretty obvious I guess.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:42 pm
thehamster, yes, there have been MAJOR changes in the music industry lately. My wife used to work for a music publisher, and she knows. Just like banks, they are closing ranks and retreating from anything that is actually original and interesting. Everything is now popped into a marketable package, including punk, and the artists are going for it, because, hey, it pays. I don't blame them really, but I am a tad wistful for the days of a real "F-U system, and the man!"
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:54 pm
Well, when it comes to me I don't mind that major change in the music industry. I mean I like being able to watch a whole lot of boobies and butts on MTV when I want to do that.
And if you want some oldschool punk, then all you have to do is dig deep enough and you'll get a whole bunch of it.
0 Replies

jasmine mirage

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 02:24 pm
awww old skool punk - The Ramones, The Clash, The Jam, the Sex Pistols, Siouxsee & the Banshees - doesn't get any nastier (although the Ramones had some pop-ish kind of tunes) Pretty punk, as I call it includes Avril IMO (and she is beautiful!) and American Hi-Fi (check out the song The Art of Losing, -- dainty as "punk-pop" can get!!)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 02:27 pm
thehamster wrote:
Well, when it comes to me I don't mind that major change in the music industry. I mean I like being able to watch a whole lot of boobies and butts on MTV when I want to do that.
And if you want some oldschool punk, then all you have to do is dig deep enough and you'll get a whole bunch of it.

Oh, I have plenty of that oldschool punk. I'm up for the boobies.
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 03:49 pm
You also should check out some of the "nordic" punk bands from Europe.
For example "Venerea" or "Stoned". I didn't listen to them for quite some time, but I'm pretty sure they fit the cliché of oldschool.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 03:56 pm
Well, I dunno hamster. That Nordic stuff is a bit weird. I really don't listen to much oldschool punk these days, but I do have some suggestions from those days, which are hard to classify: Richard Hell and the Voidoids, The Minutemen, and The Replacements.
0 Replies

IAN442

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 05:05 pm
I miss my dead kennedys, black flag, minor threat...

and i totally think Henry Rollins still rules...

he used to my idol for a long time and my friends thought i was a lot like him because of all the pent up frustration i used to have...
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 02:50 am
Well cav, from the names of the bands you're suggesting you can conclude that those are a little "harder" than those I suggested to you.
I guess those I named above might be considered pop punk again by you...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 02:53 am
thehamster wrote:
Well cav, from the names of the bands you're suggesting you can conclude that those are a little "harder" than those I suggested to you.
I guess those I named above might be considered pop punk again by you...

I can't judge until I've heard them, so I may check them out. I don't have any problem with pop punk. I like it. Now where are the boobies?
0 Replies