Joe Cocker dies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 08:24 pm
He wasn't part of the Cream, but they sang and played together..

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 08:30 pm
@CalamityJane,
Wasn't that Dr. John playing piano in Cockers rendition of 'a letter'? I saw Dr. John about 8 years ago at the Rams Head in Annapolis. Still good.
Ragman

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 08:31 pm
@glitterbag,
Leon Russell
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 08:35 pm
@Ragman,
Definitely Russell.

Not to say he didn't sing to a lot of different people playing at different times.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 08:40 pm
@ossobuco,
You're right, I just looked back. The hat thru me, plus Russell always looked serene while Dr. John was in constant movement.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 08:54 pm
I remember him and John Belushi singing together on SNL...

hingehead

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 08:59 pm
I'm playing all the Cocker I have and this just came up - his first recording in September 1964 (unrecognisable to my ears)

The video is just weird (it's a jump cut of a much later performance with the usual suspects mentioned previously.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 09:07 pm
@chai2,
geez, that was wonderful..
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 09:28 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm seeing Leon all over the place.. this 1964 one twice, but also elsewhere, since I'm sort of riffing with youtube vids.

No matter, it's all enjoyable.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 09:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Leon Russell is coming to the Rams Head on May 28, 2015. I think it's sold out already.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 10:10 pm
@glitterbag,
I remember Leon as very cool, man. Not that I would have phrased it that way. I'm pre-hippie/through hippie/post hippie. Occasionally hippy.
Where's the Ram's Head, and are you going to attend?
I've not been to a concert since..... some shows my ex put in place for a city community theater complex, now a while ago.

Back to Joe Cocker - this is one of the few times I've been searching online and most people are expressing genuine dismay that a person has died, sans gripes.

I wonder if Dys somehow knew him. That's just a shot in the dark.

Further, I send respects to his wife and family.

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 10:16 pm
glitterbag

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 11:29 pm
@ossobuco,
The Rams Head is a small venue in Annapolis, Md. It's not concert size by any means but I've seen Leon Redbone, Dr. John, WAR, Safire-the Uppity Blues Women, The Blind Boys from Alabama, and now it's late and I can't remember everyone. They have many talents, but you have to jump in as soon as the ticket booth opens or else you are left out. Oh, Oh, I saw Lyle Lovett several times, I love him, his music has humor in it and he travels with extremely talented musicians.
I'm hoping to find tickets tomorrow, but when I pulled up the seating chart today it seemed all the tables were spoken for. I need to get an inside man at the Rams Head.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 11:42 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Belushi, a genious. I wasn't paying attention then.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 11:53 pm
@ossobuco,
I was so young when Cocker appeared on SNL. Not a child, but looking forward to seeing Joe Cocker, I loved it when Belushi did his Joe Cocker while Joe was singing. If a rocker can deal with parody, he's a saint in my humble opinion.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 11:56 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Thank you. I was somewhat missing in the Belushi years (which were they?)
I didn't take him all that seriously, if I saw him on tv.
I didn't get he was so good.

glitterbag

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 11:58 pm
@glitterbag,
I remember some of the GI's in my office went to Woodstock, I couldn't imagine sleeping on the ground for 2 or three days, didn't want to go. Well wanted to go but wanted something a little more comfortable than sleeping in mud. But holy crap, when you think of the artists that performed, you know you missed a huge event. My Army buddies were back from Vietnam, I guess rain and mud wasn't such a big deal.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2014 12:15 am
@glitterbag,
Sounds like me and the Lighthouse, though there were no seat machinations, it was just a place.

Back to Joe Cocker. This is a man that could make me stop my car and pull over if there was a place to do that.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2014 12:44 am
@glitterbag,
Interesting post, re your buddies.
I've never had interest in being there then, but my later husband had a friend who might have been, his mother living close to the scene.
Thing is, I don't remember stories, and he's a story teller, so no. I think he just told us about the area.

But, back to Joe Cocker.

I'd like to know more about his time in Colorado, which, of course, is none of my business.

On palsy of some sort, I see your point, FBM.
Makes me like him more, the piquance of watching him.
He was likely used to it.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2014 05:32 am
@boomerang,
Did you ever see the Mad Dogs and Englishmen movie?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067275/

Haven't seen it since '71 but I could have worn Gary Bussey drove the bus and drummed in a couple of sets. Then again I mighta been tripping.

0 Replies