Retailers forum?

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 02:32 pm
My wife and I are dabbling in retail sales, both on the internet and in a physical store. We know a lot, but at the same time we know so very little.

I have searched the internet for a quality BBS for Retailers so I can learn more about the trade from real people, not just textbooks (which tend to veer from reality).

All I am able to find, however, are those forums rife with people forcefeeding MLM and other schemes to the readers.

I really want to find a place where experienced and amateur retailers can exchange information, help, questions and "war stories."

Do you know of such a place (or does able2know have a Retailers forum)?

Thanks,
General Tsao
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,089 • Replies: 4
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 08:31 pm
General, You need to be more specific on what you are looking for. When you tell us you dab in retail business, it doesn't tell us too much. What products do you sell? How do you advertise? Where is the location of your store? These questions are only the beginning; you need to provide us with more info. For example, there's a big difference between selling antiques or selling shoes or garlic.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 10:20 pm
Thanks, Cicerone,
Basically, we have a small space (think booth) inside a store at the local mall, and we (attempt to) sell mainly gift items. This store leases booth space to vendors. The advantage over renting a kiosk is that the vendor does not have to man his space--the store handles the transactions, then faxes us a report every week.

We also do a little bit on eBay, and hope to have a "shopping cart" on our website one day.

Since the retail thing at the mall is experimental--a learning opportunity, I am trying various things both to get a handle on the process of merchandising (planning AHEAD for holidays, managing inventory, etc.), and learn what the clientele in that mall tend to shop for.

I have learned that the customers there are not an eclectic sort--they prefer Beanie Babies to b/w photography and unique frames.

Being in the Nashville area, I just put a selection of souvenirs in the store since very few other stores in the mall sell souvenirs. Of course, I don't know if most don't sell souvenirs because they DON'T sell, or just because they don't want to mess with it.

I have carried cards, note pads, stationery, photographs, some in b/w, some in color. Most of these items do not sell well, even though they are unique products, and most feature photos from the local area or Tennessee (though other states, too).

Prior to taking the photography/stationery to a retail/wholesale level I did surveys for a few years and responses were overwhelmingly positive. But today's sales do not show the same enthusiasm.

Most of what I know about retailing is through observation. My wife managed a book store for five years, though, so she knows more than me.

However, selling books in a Christian book store is vastly different from stationery and gifts.

As far as advertising goes, I don't do anything regular right now--the store is supposed to be doing that. I doubt, however, that they are.

I do have a periodic newsletter which I publish and mail to my carpet cleaning clients, and I've been thinking about putting an ad in that circular, just to see what it does.

With as little space as I have (about 80 sq. ft.), it would be very difficult to recoup advertising expenses (noting that advertising costs the same for 80 sq. ft. as it does for 10,000 sq. ft.).

Besides, I don't have the money. I'd be happy right now if I could make this retail business just break even til November, when the Christmas buying season starts.

Anyway, so I was hoping that the internet had a retailer's BBS similar to the Industry BBS's for the HVAC, Vacuum Cleaners, Carpet Cleaning, and other industries do.

But all Google has ever shown me are places filled with people trying to sell their MLM and get-rich-quick programs and schemes.

I want to find real retailers with real-world knowledge to share.

I guess if they were in the gift business, that would be helpful, but I'll take any site which caters to professional retailing.

I actually thought there woudl be help here on this site, since it's so active and there's a vast and varied group of people here.

Hopefully, this clarified my request, though I fear it did not.

Thanks again,

General Tsao
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:56 am
General, The important thing is to remember that holidays are important to your kind of business. So the top concern for you is inventory control. If you find that some items sits on the shelf too long, start to reduce the price, but tag it with a different colored price tag. You don't want to handle each slow item many times - that costs you money - so be generous on the discount. You'll need at least one years experience to see what kind of gift item sells during the many holidays during the year - each different from the other in some ways. As you say, Christmas is the big holiday season when most retail shops do their greatest volume. If you don't do well during Christmas Season, your retail business probably doesn't have much chance of survival. What I've learned working in the shoe business for seven years and controller of a nursery/florist business for five years during my career as an accountant, location is of primary importance. Set up a standard cost system to control your inventory, and take a physical inventory at least once a year. I'll be happy to answer any specific question you might have. Good luck in your business venture.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 09:29 pm
Many gracious thanks!

General
0 Replies