How many points do you award set?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,366 • Replies: 21
No top replies

chai2

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 12:34 pm
I think my favorite part is around 1:30 when she doesn't realize the driver behind her left.

http://www0.artflakes.com/artwork/products/257388/poster/e7149ed4a12b2af6dbdb78f764836471.jpg
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 12:36 pm
Chuck Norris approves.

http://m.memegen.com/c1rb75.jpg
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 02:42 pm
@chai2,
And it's a ten from Bruno......

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/09/13/article-0-0ED9B20200000578-767_306x599.jpg
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 02:59 pm
What really stuns me is that I'm seeing more and more drivers like this re parking, both men and women.

This woman (yes, there said it was a lady) is in a class by herself, but I've seen see some pretty bad scenes like this play out.

What is it exactly? I initially think it's that people don't have a concept for the size of their vehicle. But then there's this whole fear of turning the wheel. Back and forth, back and forth, gaining literally an inch each pass. Jesus wept.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 03:27 pm
@chai2,
Some people can't work out the dynamics in their brain when reversing the car. Rational thought process goes out of the window and they seem to freeze.
They know deep down that they can stop at any time and quickly check mirrors, look behind to judge distance etc., but the act of actually moving backwards seems to override everything and they seem genuinely frightened to move more than about a foot.
There needs to be a reversing part in the test which covers this type of thing, as I've seen it where the car actually hit another car, and nearly ran down a passing pedestrian.
Another occasion, a lady couldn't work out the reverse turn dynamics of the steering wheel when going backwards, and kept angling more and more towards a massive shop window. Yes, she had manouvred herself up onto the pavement by then.
She tried another time and ended up completely nose first towards the shop, precisely 90 degrees to the window and the opposite of what she intended.
She burst out crying and an off duty policeman ended up helping her out of the car and parking it correctly (parallel to the kerb) for her within three or four shunts, taking about twenty seconds.

It would be interesting to wire the brain of one of these drivers and see what is going on. Or not, as the case may be.
chai2

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 04:00 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I agree with everything you say, re figuring out which way the car will turn when in reverse.
That's a skill that constantly needed, and should be taught more thoroughly while learning to drive, and in the driving test.

Do you think it is one of those things where male and females brains work differently?

Oddly enough, I love parallel parking. Once you know how, it's the easiest thing in the world.
However, I had to teach myself. Something about someone else telling me to turn the wheel, and how much, put in in a tizzy. I got the steps in my head, and with no one watching, lined up some cones, and learned it.

It was so fun.

Funny videos of people trying to park usually involve them trying to get into spaces smaller than their car. Not gonna happen.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 04:10 pm
@chai2,
hehehe

I have a friend who could compete in that show. She's actually not dreadful at getting out of parking spots, but she doesn't seem to be able to park well to begin with. It can be a long long long frustrating time in the passenger seat telling her to move the car up and over as she's nicely parking in the middle of 4 spots.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 04:15 pm
@chai2,
Getting in a tizz when someone is looking, just about sums it up I think.

My wife amd her sister say exactly the same thing, as do other women when we've chatted about such stuff in the past.
When my wife parallel parks, she does it perfectly when left alone, but if a car arrives on the scene and it is waiting (politely, at a safe distance) she parks any old how and waits until they've gone.

Maybe men fimd it easier because we don't give a **** about who's watching or waiting?
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 04:21 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Here's how to do it, chai.

Or even better.....(right at the end)

chai2

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 04:24 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Now that I know how, I don't care who's there. Mainly because I probably do it better than them.

The learning part though....yeah.

I've got a girlfriend, tiny thing, maybe 110 lbs soaking wet. She can maneuver an 18 wheeler like a walk in the park.

Whenever you need a boat in the water, pallets unloaded at a shipping dock or illegal immigrants transported, Tracy's your gal.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 04:27 pm
@Lordyaswas,
YAY!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 08:43 pm
So . . . good day, eh?

Them folks in Calgary are pikers compared to the people in Kwee-beck. Them Kwee-beckers do it all at high speed. Anyway, yer just tryin' to get me to say something bad about Canada.

Take off, you hoser.
chai2

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 08:53 pm
@Setanta,
I loved when Rush did that song.

Oh....and another thing.

Now is the time of year that people who apparantly never get behind the wheel of a car all year get out and wheel all over doing their Xmas shopping.

Now They're hosers.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 09:45 pm
I wouldn't go within two miles of a mall right now.
FBM

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:07 pm
I gotta get around to making that video of locals trying to parallel park.
chai2

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:28 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I wouldn't go within two miles of a mall right now.

I haven't been to a mall in ages. They're just all over town.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:28 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

I gotta get around to making that video of locals trying to parallel park.

Yeah. Do it!
Miss L Toad

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:58 pm
@chai2,
I'm pretty busy what with being here and there so I'd score it 180.

0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 11:17 pm
@chai2,
M'kay. Once finals are over, I'll stake out a location... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I need Setanta's critique of this video
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 09:53:28