What the tourists never see. (A dance of sunlight and ships)

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 08:15 pm
This is not on the tour.
Here's the way we really live here.
We hold our dominion.

Our dominion on this night was this little bar and grill, which if it has a name I didn't see the sign. It's down on the piers next to an historic lightship and the kayak club.**( There, that ought to be enough hints for Kicky to find his way.)

You stroll in past the charcoal grill covered in barbeque chicken, past the little tables filled with nice looking bunches of people and stop at the stand-up bar with the funny bartender. Towards the back there's a stage where the musicians are cutting and chopping their way through a dozen tune set and the usual, well not that usual, ping pong table.
(The bartender's in charge of the replacement balls.)

Duck through the tarps and clamber up two ladders and you are on the top the world. A view of the harbor that only belongs to the yacht owners and the seagulls. Here's the best part, no one else climbs up! You can sit there in your own private world for hours watching the river go by and the occasional school of kayakers.

Frank and I sat on the top deck of the lightship, sipping our beers, crunching down some good mustard dogs and watching the parade of harbor ships. This was not the usual harbor traffic, it was, said the emcee in the club down below, a 'Blessing of the Fleet'.

Fireboats sprayed huge arcs of water as the tugboat after tugboat chugged by while a couple of water-taxis and a police boat danced together down the river. Over a dozen tugs formed a long conga line and cruised towards the Statue of Liberty then swung around and headed back our way blowing their horns and ringing their bells. It was a harbor sunset sonata.
Then the jazz quartet kicked into high gear and we settled back to survey our dominion.

So how are your impoverished lives?? Smile Smile Smile
Joe
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,385 • Replies: 33
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 08:39 pm
Quite nice, thank you.

Today I took a walk with my daughter. We took the long way to the playground, along the river which was swollen by rain and brown and foamy as root beer. Everything was almost cartoonishly brightly colored in the strong sun after weeks of rainy days; the trees and grass exhiliaratingly green, the sky exultantly blue. Real blue, not that washed-out baby blue stuff that passes for clear. Deep cobalt blue when you looked straight up.

On the way home, my daughter ran up the "mountain" -- a sledding hill in the winter -- and down, and up again, running straight into my arms full-tilt. A young couple trudged up the mountain slowly as she zoomed past -- up, down, up, down -- and when they reached the top and sat down, absorbed in each other, she ran up to them to talk. Far away, waiting for her at the bottom, I saw their shoulders stiff, oriented away from her; then she said something funny, and they laughed; then they became more and more oriented towards her, talking to her, asking questions; then she waved at them cheerfully and came barrelling down the mountain again, as they waved back and smiled at each other.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 09:13 pm
a bit less fulfilled when Im not near the water.I Like your descriptions of a working harbor. We can sit for hours doing the same thing, and right now Im envious .
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 09:34 pm
It's getting towards summer now which is the best time of year when you live at the beach. At the end of the day, I can walk along the side of the sea and let sand seep through my toes. There are cliffs here where water and air shove up against to create a summer shower.

If I don't want to stay near the sand, I can walk up the street and into the busiest part of town. There are side-street sandwich joints where I get a chicken and cheese and a chair. I could sit for hours watching the people poke past me but ice cream is much more tempting.

So I walk farther up the street to my favorite frosty hangout. I can get a giant, freezing cone for less than a dollar. Then I walk down the street and stop at my favorite clothing store--goodwill. I'll buy dress pants (which I wear as regular) for under six dollars. As the beautiful day beats itself closed, I'll walk with a full stomach, a fulfilled sweet craving, and a new pair of pants all the way home.

And that's how I like to spend my days.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 12:06 am
I am tied to going to work, going to work, going to work, with nights and weekends my own. But work is my own too This is all complicated. I want to be away, I love, love, love to travel, and yet here I am, getting ready for work.

Yet I love it all, hearing the cars start up, about six a.m. on the street, a few at a time, hearing the refrigerator rumble again, and sleeping some more.

Hearing the cars more clearly, thinking about the word, TIME. Turn to look at clock. 7:20. Ohhh, how sweet.
(I don't need to show up until eleven.)

After I am up with fed and watered and pee'd dog, and showered and bagelled me, I look onto a2k. Swirl of posts to think about.

Where are my keys? Where is his dog collar? Shall I take the leftover shrimp with scallions in sherry to work? (yes). That's today, doesn't happen often, it's more a question of thai noodle packages.
what bill is due now? where are my keys?

Out the door, I stand in place at a right angle to the ocean and bay, though a bit back from both. I work two blocks from the bay and the street going there has a neat view of the harbor at the end. But ne'er mind, I am driving into the parking lot, which presents another part of the day's space.

It turns out that the old wooden staircase from floor 3 down to the ground, to the left of our back door, has slumped a day ago, when my business partner and I were a hundred miles south of here. Not entirely fallen, but it's listing.

Listing, seriously listing. This is pointed out to me, who lives in her own world, by one of the other tenants. And he's f'n right. It is. And here I was letting Pacco pee there, with the top of the building about to fall down. (snarl).

Bus/partner and I talk with enhanced hand waving. I call the City building department. We need a bit of attention here.
Among other things, the homeless who sometimes camp overnight could get a bad surprise if they are below when it falls.

Well, it has been two days now. The post holding the beams on the staircase on the third floor is resting on AIR.

There is a little side matter. This place has a new owner, poor fella, my landlord. The previous owner, who I also like, she just happened to be a sister in a family with bucks, and was the worlds' most understanding landlordess, couldn't replace this staircase because the local preservation society intervened.

This is even more complicated, in that the places next door to us, to the east, about half a block of old wood buildings from the 1890's or so, burned a while ago, from arson. But arson by whom? There were various transients, well, not so various, but I won't be particular here, and potential others.

Some point to the developer owner, but he has been generally a good guy who wouldn't have needed to do that, and besides, the fire nearly took the town. Too risky at that level. The fire caught the top of our place, but was put out but this amazing multifiredeparment effort. I am thankful it happened in the middle of the night and we weren't called, or we would have rushed down to save stuff, not least the paintings, but also all of our design drawings. In the end, we had a smokey building, which the insurance company helped us clean out, and the decimated place next door, which has since been reinvigorated as a few sort of Victorian shops and a parking lot.

So that bulding next door that caught on fire ... looked like a tinder pile all of this time. As has this staircase. But neither was allowed to be taken down because of its historical value.

I am very sensitive to historic value, I think, and have friends in architectural historical societies (trust me, they wouldn't have saved the staircase) and see that the building structures around me that have been in midst arguments - have threatened me. Now, with this impending thing from the third floor, and the other, from the fire next door.. I renew my previous understanding of my precarious place.

My point? Have criteria for value, make decisions, save or change. (I am mostly for save, but do it or get off pot.)
In my few years with a business flailing in this spot, I've had a flare from a boat hit the building next door and be put out at 1 am by the fire department, a fire start on the west side for some other reason, again saved by the fire department, a fire started by arson on the east side, not clear by whom, and now a crumbly staircase outside our backdoor, ready to fall on the unwary.

Yes, I did call the city. It is part of the thing I signed when I took a state licence, to look out for public welfare, but that is all a song for the fact that I would have called anyway. Having a state license only means that I know better who to call, I think.

but no change. No roping off happening. I am getting aggravated.

Ok, tourists don't see this, right? Unless they park here, but
mostly there isn't room for them.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 03:01 am
What wonderous lives we lead.

J
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 08:58 am
There are few things I like better than climbing to the top of a mountain with my best girl, my backpack and a few supplies and watching the sun set then rise the next morning. And I don't have to be a rich, pretentious, arrogant pinhead to do it. Very Happy Not that you're a rich, arrogant, pretentious pimhead of course!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 10:39 am
Been hacking at my garden today Joe. I'm on a break now, but I'm getting ready to go back out and plant my corn.

Somehow I'd rather be hangin out sipping beers with you and Frank ;-)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 11:44 am
Joe, I can't find that damn no-name bar! I guess if I knew of any kayak clubs I'd have found it by now . . .

Anyway, my dominion today will be Yankee Stadium, rooting for the home team, eating a couple hot dogs, ketchup, no mustard, and probably getting rained on. Tonight, it's down to the Angelika, for "My Mother Likes Women", a spanish film that an Argentinian buddy of mine (who loves taking me to places where spanish, which I don't speak, is the language of choice) has recommended. Should be interesting.

Anyway, I'll be back with a brilliant and awe-inspiring narrative of my adventures later.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 05:39 pm
Quote:
Not that you're a rich, arrogant, pretentious pimhead of course!

I am too a pimhead. My head is completely pimmed most of the time and mostly pimmed all of the time. Okay, so back me up on this, Nick.....

Arrgh... those g.. Razz ..d..da.. Twisted Evil .mned Yankees! Last night I was enjoying seeing them get whipped until they started hitting home runs..... like every third guy up would crack one into outer space..... Twisted Evil Enjoy! (oh yeah, the bar's at the west end of 23rd Street. Com'on. We're up the ladder getting pimmed.)

Soz// I'm stealing your story about your kiddo and the strangers on the hill. Isn't it one of the great joys of life to see the heart melting effect children have on other humans??

Osso: Okay, we are coming over with a sledge, a wedge and sawsall.
Please avert your eyes. Oh, and do you want it cut up firewood size or extra chunky? (We have official looking fake ID's that say City Department of Preservation, Devastation and Pimming. When they ask what we are doing we say 'pimming'.}

Mo, I forget. How many days do we wait till we come over to eat the corn?(said Henny Penny.)

mmmm frozen stuff by the seaside.... Individual..... you live at the beach....(trying not to sound envious) I'm so envious.

Joe
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:33 pm
Hey Joe! I suppose I could have used the "edit" feature of A2K to correct the offending word then I could have just said, "What on Earth are you talking about Joe?" However, some of the best and most wonderful people I have ever met are pimheads. I must use the "pimming" excuse next time any kind of official stops me and asks me what I'm doing.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 11:34 pm
Very Happy

It just goes to show you, inspiration is everywhere.

J
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 12:34 am
Okay, here's my incredibly brilliant and touching summary of tonight.

Did NOT get laid.

Is there anything more to say? Naaah.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 12:40 am
Did you get close?

Close is sometimes worse than not at all, but not always.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 12:45 am
Extreme sorrow for Kicky, but then again, are there exigent, or if not exigent, extenuating circumstances, will this lead to attraction?

I need to go back and edit my incomprehensible writing about our adjacent impending staircase. This may take a few efforts, please ignore, I'll mention it if I ever make sense of it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 12:47 am
You better not edit it. I thought it was great, even if you did write it at two in the morning......

J
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 12:49 am
At two in the morning I have usually had a bit too much of rum and chocolate milk, plus personal flatitude. Ok, I'll reread it. It was certainly off the cuff.

Flatitude - I don't mean flatulence, I mean flatness... a kind of zoning out at night in space.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 12:54 am
Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 12:59 am
I reread it and will leave it. God help anyone who wants to figure out which fire happened when.

I am not religious and don't use these words that way, precisely.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 01:01 am
Gonna be awhile for the corn Joe, but I'll whip up a batch of spaghetti sauce for ya while you're waiting. I don't share my corn with just anyone, you know ;-)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What the tourists never see. (A dance of sunlight and ships)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 09:11:20