Is OBE real, or a contrived hoax?

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 05:13 pm
Andra M. Smith and Claude Messierwere from the University of Ottawa described this subject's ability in their paper, published in Frontiers of Human Neuroscience:

She was able to see herself rotating in the air above her body, lying flat, and rolling along with the horizontal plane. She reported sometimes watching herself move from above but remained aware of her unmoving "real" body. The participant reported no particular emotions linked to the experience.

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/scientists-unlock-mystery-of-woman-who-sees-herself-out-1538196076

Is her OBE real or is she just saying it to get attention?.

DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 05:20 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Seems impossible, from the standpoint that the eyes that would be viewing the body, do not move from the first position. Now this would not dismiss that this subject is not imagining the floating, however until we can see inside of other peoples minds, this is fantasy. Typically this is reported by dead people, who are revived, it's similar to the tunnel of light experience. There are also any number of chemicals, that can cause the sensation of floating, endorphins being one...
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 05:20 pm
@Rickoshay75,
OBE is a hallucination. Hallucinations are real experiences. I don't see any reason to doubt what she experienced.

Why would this be a hoax?

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2014 05:30 pm
Researchers have been able to induce OBE experiences for quite a while now.

Many factors can bring it on.

Yes, I've experienced it, to an extent. It's always been when I've been in a extreme stress situation.

The first time it happened, I was terrified, afraid I was dying. The last time it happened, a couple of years ago, I just recognized it for what it was.

To be clear, I have felt that I was in the process of lifting out of my body. it didn't go as far as actually being out of it. I'm sure it could go to that extrent though.

I don't attribute any religious or spirtitual cause to it.
Rickoshay75

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 07:55 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Yes, I've experienced it, to an extent. It's always been when I've been in a extreme stress situation.

The first time it happened, I was terrified, afraid I was dying. The last time it happened, a couple of years ago, I just recognized it for what it was.

To be clear, I have felt that I was in the process of lifting out of my body. it didn't go as far as actually being out of it. I'm sure it could go to that extrent though.

Rickoshay75

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 08:04 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Rickoshay75 wrote:

chai2 wrote:

Sounds more like temporary illusion or hallucination.

Sorry about the first response I pushed send too soon
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 08:04 pm
Seems pretty mundane to me. They can create the experience in the lab: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070823141057.htm
Rickoshay75

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 08:08 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Seems pretty mundane to me. They can create the experience in the lab: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070823141057.htm

Yes, but he dose admit it is an illusion.
FBM

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 08:11 pm
@Rickoshay75,
I can only reiterate what max said above. Hallucinations/illusions are real experiences that people often have. So what?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is OBE real, or a contrived hoax?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 06:20:19