Value of collo

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 10:15 am
In a discussion about adverbs,

http://able2know.org/topic/261349-1#post-5829956

...where I offer slight variations of meaning depending on context, Con objects to some being colloquial, on the basis that the collo is is extraneous to the esl.
I am wondering, as an esl who might have read some of my postings, whether you'd agree with Con's assessment
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 375 • Replies: 8
No top replies

timur

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 10:24 am
Dale, I can say for sure, as an esl myself, that you have no clue about teaching English.
Ragman

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 10:36 am
@timur,
Furthermore, you make a wrong assumption about the sophistication level of your audience. It's odd to even use the term 'collo' when you consider that most foreign people looking for language advice are most likely to have no clue what it means. In fact, many have no idea what the whole word colloquial means.
timur

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 10:43 am
@Ragman,
I doubt that Dale has ever undertaken a colloquy with an Esl or even attended a colloquium about English as a second language..
dalehileman

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 11:17 am
@timur,
Quote:
you have no clue about teaching English
Yes Tim I know, oft ask myself what I'm doing here. Thought was being helpful but apparently not
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 11:26 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
wrong assumption about the sophistication
Rag, here I have to disagree as I'm continually amazed by the depth of the posting, admire most poignantly his discernment and persistence

Quote:
It's odd to even use the term 'collo'...many have no idea…
I hear you talkin' Rag. However it's positively remarkable that I've been asked only once or twice

But yes Tim, in that connection I'm really a bad person; though little hope for redemption
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 11:29 am
@timur,
Quote:
I doubt that Dale has ever undertaken a colloquy with an Esl or even attended a colloquium about English as a second language..
Tim is that's what required of the esl initiate

I do have some modest achievements in the field of journ however

Yes I know Tim, don't use abbrs
contrex

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 12:51 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
don't use abbrs

That reminds me of the ads I used to see for "Speedwriting" courses by mail. It was supposed to be easier to learn than Pitman shorthand (who knows that any more?) and it showed a lady holding up a notebook, on the top page of which was written "A gd wy 2 ern csh". The plan seemed to be to shorten every word to around 3 letters or less if possible, and looked like something any reasonably astute person would have already thought of, but I dare say astute people were not their target demographic.

The point I was making in the other thread is that when an obvious early ESL learner asks "Which is right, the boy did well, or the boy did good?", you only confuse them if you say that "did good" is kind of OK because it is sometimes heard among native speakers, even if it is true.

Anyhow, Dale, please do not be put off by the negative comments in this thread. I enjoy reading your posts and I feel you are a helpful presence.

dalehileman

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 04:11 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
I feel you are a helpful presence
Why, thank you Con but oft wonder….
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Value of collo
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 11:40:35