PLEASE HELP: HOW TO DRAFT A LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION FOR PROFESSOR THAT YOU DON'T KNOW WELL

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 03:49 am
Dear Friends,

Does anyone ever write email to professor who you never met before to ask for support in process of taking scholarship overseas?
I have contacted with a professor who is especially well known in the university I'm applying for, and I'm looking for her endorsement to get the attention of the scholarship committee.
Luckily, she accepted to be my supervisor professor if I receive the scholarship and she can write a letter of recommendation for me but she asked me to draft a letter for her to review.
I dont know how to start since she did not know me well. This is the first time for me to apply, so i've got dificulty on this.

Please help!

Thanks for any response,
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 648 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 04:22 am
@pearlkami,
The letter is about you, and not about your relationship with this professor. You are writing your own recommendation letter and she is going to sign it, so far as I can tell.

So - write a recommendation letter.

Quote:
Dear Professor ___:

My name is pearlkami and we spoke earlier about you recommending me for the ____ Scholarship. I want to thank you again for your kind support. Here are some points about recommending me that I hope you'll incorporate into your letter to the committee.

• I am the top student in the ___ class
  • I am the president of the ___ club
  • My research in ___ is leading me to ____
  • I published a paper and it can be found here: __ (link)__

Thank you again; please feel free to contact me at any time if you have any questions or need more information.

Sincerely,

pearlkami
(your email address)
(your phone number)
pearlkami

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2014 10:11 pm
@jespah,
Dear jespah,

Thanks for your help. It seems that my thread is not clear enough, the professor accepted that she can write a LOR for me but she asked me to draft it by my own and send her to review.
Since I don't have any relationship with the professor, how should I write.
jespah

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 07:09 am
@pearlkami,
Not much differently from what I wrote. If you're unsure of how recommendations are worded, look at LinkedIn.
pearlkami

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 08:50 pm
@jespah,
Really appreciate your help. Thank you very much.
0 Replies