Victorian Cliff Hangers Today: Dickens by Mail

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 05:51 am
Originally the works of Charles Dickens appeared installment by installment in monthly magazines. Readers used to queue at the newstands when new issues were published. American readers would wait at the docks (or send their servants to wait) when new installments were due.

Stanford University is recreating the past. Selected works of Dickens' are being published by e mail and shipped to readers by request.

See: http://dickens.stanford.edu/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 800 • Replies: 4
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 03:56 am
That is really cool. I love the idea of bringing back the past in a modern context, not to mention I've read a ton of Dickens. Now, through technology, do you think I might get the ending to The Mystery of Edwin Drood?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 09:54 am
Cav--

If only....

The ending to Edwin Drood is right up there with catching fallen stars and hearing mermaids singing.

Still..."A man's reach should exceed his grasp
Or what's a heaven for?"
0 Replies

maya

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 05:10 am
When Stephen King did "The Green Mile" in installments it was such a great rush. There were people I work with who didn't pick up books at all, who waited, impatiently I might add, for the next installment.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 01:32 pm
Interesting contribution, Maya. Thank you.
0 Replies