Moral Relativism

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 10:21 pm
What is Moral Relativism? And Is there any potential dangers of moral relativism? Can you give example?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 765 • Replies: 11
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 11:02 pm
@Bluprints,
Moral Relativism is the belief that there is no absolute truth on which you can base your system of morality. To quote The Life of Brian, "you just have to figure it out for yourselves". Moral relativists have a cultural and personal sense of right or wrong. Yet they accept that other people may have different ideas.

Practical speaking a moral relativist accepts the fact that different cultures, and even different people, have vastly different ideas on how people should act. Although many cultures throughout history have claimed to have absolute truth, no culture has any objective way to prove that their ideas are better than every other set of ideas.

In contrast, a moral absolutist believes that their opinions on right or wrong represent an absolute truth. They believe that their opinions are the one true set of opinions. A moral absolutist will assume that any other person (or cultural) who disagrees with them is wrong by definition.

In my opinion, moral absolutism, which tends to have trouble accepting differences of opinion, is far more dangerous than moral relativism. The worst atrocities in human history were committed by moral absolutists.

Bluprints

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 03:32 am
@maxdancona,

Thank you so much for your response, It helped a lot. On the other hand, do you know what are the potential dangers of moral relativism? I hope you can help me with this again.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 07:18 am
@Bluprints,
I am a moral relativist, so I am giving you my perspective. I accept that other people might have another point of view.

But, I don't believe there are any potential dangers of moral relativism. The only danger I see is the possibility I might make some deity upset, but a moral absolutist runs the same danger (if they happen to be wrong in their absolute beliefs).
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 11:42 am
@Bluprints,
I'm not sure Blu that it's widely considered relativism but I suppose moralism relative to the moralist. For instance Porky might consider us incredibly evil. In spite of his friendliness and the intelligence of a 2 or 3-year-old, as devout Christians we house him in a muddy sty, then hang him by his hind legs and cut his throat so he bleeds to death before slaughtering and eating him
coldjoint

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 11:21 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
as devout Christians we house him in a muddy sty, then hang him by his hind legs and cut his throat so he bleeds to death before slaughtering and eating him

The jab at Christianity is not worthy. And animals are not slaughtered that way, anymore. Unless you are talking about Halal slaughter, and they don't eat pigs.
wmwcjr

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 01:34 am
@dalehileman,
I don't eat pork for health reasons, but are you a veggie-tarian? Pity the poor plants who can't get away! Crying or Very sad Razz Wink
dalehileman

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 09:45 am
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
are you a veggie-tarian?
By no means Bill. Love pork chops and bacon, I'm a terrible person
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 10:06 am
@coldjoint,
Joint I only know what I read somewhere. It is or was a Christian sect continuing the horrendous practice whilst being abandoned by other such agencies

You might find the following of interest
http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/pig.html
coldjoint

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 10:51 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
continuing the horrendous practice

You should look into halal slaughter. The horrendous practice is alive and well.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 11:09 am
@coldjoint,
Thanks Joint. So Muslims are just as guilty as Christians
Sad comment on religion if not entire "human" race
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 11:14 am

Quote:
Oh, the poor folks hate the rich folks,
And the rich folks hate the poor folks.
All of my folks hate all of your folks,
It's American as apple pie.

But during National Brotherhood Week, National Brotherhood Week,
New Yorkers love the Puerto Ricans 'cause it's very chic.
Step up and shake the hand
Of someone you can't stand.
You can tolerate him if you try.

Oh, the Protestants hate the Catholics,
And the Catholics hate the Protestants,
And the Hindus hate the Muslims,
And everybody hates the Jews.

But during National Brotherhood Week, National Brotherhood Week,
It's National Everyone-smile-at-one-another-hood Week.
Be nice to people who
Are inferior to you.
It's only for a week, so have no fear.
Be grateful that it doesn't last all year!
0 Replies