Are you Going to Boycott for the Season Stores that Open On Thanksgiving?

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 11:43 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I have distant relatives that work for Wal Mart. They MUST go in very early (4:00am type early) on Thanksgiving and Black Friday and work all day or they lose their jobs. I don't think the trend is going away anytime soon. I'm not going to boycott anyone but I'm not Christmas shopping on Thanksgiving.

This getting paid extra idea comes from where? Until the 1970's retail paid extra for sunday and holiday work, and maybe a few companies do some of that, but it mostly went away long ago.

I dont know that Walmart fires for for refusing to work, that would be a PR problem. My understanding is that they slash your hours, and usually keep them slashed until you quit. Pretty much the same thing but not quite.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 11:49 am
This last Saturday I had some time to kill while on the other side of town waiting for the dogs to finish at the groomers. I usually go shop at Trader Joes while the dogs get their twice yearly haircuts but we didn't need anything this time.

So, for the first time in over 20 years, I went into a department store, Kohls, to do some clothes shopping for mom. Had never ever been inside this business before. The place was jammed with cheaply made and over priced merchandise. The decor was just as loud as the head throbbing Christmas music.

They had a bank of check out counters but only one poorly trained employee. The rest of the checkout stations sat empty and unused no matter how long the line got or how often the employee asked for help over the intercom. Exiting the store set off their security alarms because the clerk forgot to remove one of the shoplifting detectors from a sweater. To top it off, none of the clothing fit mom and I had to return them the next day by hiking to the furthest corner of the store to wait in yet another line so the customer service clerk could credit my account.

It reinforced my long held choice to do all my non perishable shopping on the internet. So, no I will not be holiday shopping at any brick and mortar stores when the herds of humanity are on a spending rampage.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 12:02 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
The decor was just as loud as the head throbbing Christmas music.

that is what Boomer is talking about, there used to be a code, no Christmas music till black friday. No Christmas sales either. THis year I saw my first Christmas sale in SEPTEMBER!

There is little money to be made on Halloween or Thanksgiving, so start up Christmas as early as you can get away with seems to be the plan. I have largely had enough, I think we should cut way back on gift giving.

EDIT: there are people who conspire with the retailers....my brothers wife tries to get done shopping by Nov 1, then she brags that she is all done. Considering that I dont start till the week before Christmas I find this behaviour annoying.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 06:24 pm
There's always somebody ready to tell others what they can't do.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 02:38 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

There's always somebody ready to tell others what they can't do.
You are very confused...I am not telling people to do or dont do anything, I am not forcing anyone to do anything, I am advocating for collective action.
roger

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 03:11 am
@hawkeye10,
oic
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 05:00 am
@roger,
ic2
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 05:53 am
http://media.masslive.com/business-news/photo/10288970-large.jpg
I almost agree, but I do sometimes run to the grocery store to get something I forgot. I like that the stores have for years tended to be open till noon.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 02:06 am
I'm sure it's lousy to have to work on Thanksgiving, but it's good to have a job.

Not only is there nothing sacred about the holiday, there is nothing sacred about the fourth Thursday in November.

Since the ostensible reason for the holiday is to give thanks for what we have, there's, obviously, no reason why the family cannot be gathered together on a Saturday or Sunday to join in giving thanks for all that they enjoy including those things made possible by the job that requires someone to work on the 4th Thursday of November.

Personally I don't know why anyone wants to go shopping on Thanksgiving (unless it is to pick up more beer or a couple of extra cans of cranberry sauce), but there must be a fair number of people who do or else it wouldn't be worth store's costs to be open.

For the most part, the stores that are announcing they will close for Thanksgiving "to allow their employees to spend time with their family on this wonderful holiday" are engaged in marketing and expense control.

If anyone should be pressured, (and I don't think anyone should be) it's the shoppers who give stores a reason to remain open on Thanksgiving.

The whole notion of a boycott for this reason is largely temporary grandstanding. Very, very few people are going to to boycott any of these stores for more than a couple of weeks (if that). If one of them has what "boycotters" want for the right price, the boycott will be forgotten pretty quickly.

Nothing wrong with refusing to patronize a store that remains open on Thanksgiving, Christmas, Sundays or Ground-Hog Day if you think its important. You should realize, though, that the effort is, at best. symbolic.

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 02:11 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
The whole notion of a boycott for this reason is largely temporary grandstanding. Very, very few people are going to to boycott any of these stores for more than a couple of weeks (if that). If one of them has what "boycotters" want for the right price, the boycott will be forgotten pretty quickly.

I am not aware of anyone calling for that. The call is to not shop anywhere on Thanksgiving. The expectation is that this will work like how when we remove the food source and the pests in our house decide to go someplace else.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with refusing to patronize a store that remains open on Thanksgiving, Christmas, Sundays or Ground-Hog Day if you think its important. You should realize, though, that the effort is, at best. symbolic.
not if enough people do it. Corporations have shown that they will not stand up for anything, money is all that counts. If they piss of the people they will change in a heartbeat. Ideally we also get enough people that the stores actually lose money as a direct consequence of opening. If this happened they would not be open next year.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 04:08 am

I am going to boycott
any store that puts up CHRISTMAS ` DECORATIONS but fails to mention Christmas
or mentions the word: "holiday" instead of Christmas.

I 'd rather attend stores that play Christmas ` Carols.

David
roger

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 04:10 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Happy Festivus, David.
0 Replies