WOMEN are Better LIARS and CHEATERS than MEN!

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 07:04 am
WOMEN are Better LIARS and CHEATERS than MEN!

This was the headline in a local Irish paper recently, which was purportedly based on a 2 year clinical trial that involved 500 women and 500 men between the ages of 21-41.

They were all subjected to similar scenarios and dilemmas, and asked standard questions based on these events.

So what do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,423 • Replies: 29
No top replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 07:13 am
Are you restricting your question to Irish women and Irish men?

Was the poll taken by Irish men? Mr. Green
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 07:15 am
Sounds interesting, but I would need a lot more info before I could comment. Do you have a link?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 07:24 am
It's not that women are better liars and cheats.

It's just that men are so inept.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 07:29 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Sounds interesting, but I would need a lot more info before I could comment...

That's amazing Phoenix! That's EXACTLY one of the standard answers that the majority of the 500 women gave in one of their scenario questions. :wink:
0 Replies

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 07:32 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Do you have a link?

Sorry, the article is printed in the Belfast News - they don't have a website.
0 Replies

dlk33

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 07:39 am
I think women my be more sneaky, and plan ahead before lying and cheating, which may be viewed as "better."
Men just do, usually without much thought, then face the consequences when and if they come.
0 Replies

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 07:45 am
The article stated in it's conclusion, "Men tend to leave more evidence of their infidelity lying around, whereas women are meticulous in 'sanctifying the scene'."
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 07:58 am
Bib- Now we are getting somewhere, in terms of information, when you mentioned infidelity.

Who were these men and women?

How did the researcher get his sampling?

What were the scenarios about? Was it only about infidelity, or did it include other subjects?

Were the folks in the study given a forced choice, or allowed to offer subjective answers?

How did the researchers quantify "better liars" or "better cheaters".

In evaluating a research study, one must know all these parameters, and be clear on the meaning of terms. If this is not done, the results are meaningless, and just serve to reinforce stereotypes.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 08:09 am
I agree with Phoenix. We need to know the experimetal parameters, before we can come to any significant conclusions. Idea
0 Replies

dlk33

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 08:49 am
Like I said, women have a tendency to plan ahead.
0 Replies

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 10:38 am
New Haven wrote:
I agree with Phoenix. We need to know the experimetal parameters, before we can come to any significant conclusions. Idea

The conclusions have already been drawn by the expert researchers in the article - they are the ones who set the parameters.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 11:00 am
Quote:
The conclusions have already been drawn by the expert researchers in the article - they are the ones who set the parameters

Bib- I don't want to harp on this, but without a reference, we have no idea whom these "expert researchers" are, and what are their credentials.

If you had simply asked- "Who are better liars & cheaters- men or women?", I would have no problem with the question. Then it would simply be a matter of people bandying about their opinions.

Because you related the study as fact, and are asking members to make a leap of faith and accept the study as truth, then, IMO, it behooves you to cite a reference.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 11:11 am
If it really interests people, could they not do a quick google search on the subject? Bib has already said the specific article is not online.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 11:23 am
I don't need any more parameters than what's at hand -- I'm always caught out. No great indiscretions involved, mind you -- just minor venialities. Cookie crumbs on the kitchen counter, beery breath acquired at the local hardware store, unexpected emails from Playboy.com, etc., etc. -- Mrs. Jane Marple Debacle detects 'em all. Forever nosing out my spoor, she leaves nary a track of her own. Embarrassed Sad :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 11:30 am
over 62000 hits at google on 'are women better liars' - a number of the recent links were to a study done in Edinburgh, released in June of 2002.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=are+women+better+liars&btnG=Google+Search

Quote:
Scientists say women are better liars than men

Scientists claim women are better liars than men.

Researchers at Queen Margaret University College, Edinburgh have made the conclusion after finding women are more fluent speakers.

The Daily Telegraph says men are almost twice as likely to pause or hesitate when they speak.

Researchers say when under the pressure of lying, the pauses increase in length and men have a tendency to fill them with 'ums' and 'ahs's.

Robin Lickley of the department of speech and language doesn't know whether nature or nurture explains the difference.

He added: "All the males had more pauses than females. Men tend to be more hesitant which includes repeating single words to cover up gaps. When it comes to lying, if you are having to create something, you would want to pause longer because you would want to be careful about what you are going to say.

"The longer it takes you to formulate what you are going to say the more likely you are to pause, so the more likely you are going to use an um or an ah to fill the gap."

Story filed: 08:33 Monday 3rd June 2002
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 11:38 am
ehBeth- Thank you!
0 Replies

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 12:07 pm
hmmm...the plot thickens (was there a pause in that statement? Darn it!)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 02:09 pm
First, I want to say that I wrote a great post, and then I inadvertently blew it away. Sad I am going to attempt to reconstruct it:

From what I have read, I have come to the following conclusions:

Women are more verbal.

Women plan ahead what they will say before they fib.

Men talk off the top of their heads.

Because men talk off the top of their heads, when they are lying, they tend to pause more, as they are making up a story.

People usually pause more when they are lying.

If one agrees with these conclusions, one must agree that women ARE more adept liars.

What is unknown is how much genetics plays a part in a woman's ability to verbalize. Little boys and girls are socialized very differently. Adults speak to little girls. They engage in more play that is more active, and that does not involve much verbalization with little boys.

I have a personal experience that you all might find interesting. When my son was a couple of months past one year old, he was very ill, for a number of months. He walked later than most, and spent much of his time just sitting around in one place.

As a result, I did a lot of talking with him. At the age of 1 1/2 he could recognize and verbalize the names of products from advertisements in magazines. He read very early.

As an adult, he is one of the most verbal men that I have ever known.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 02:35 pm
Of course, being better at lying doesn't mean women lie more. That's gonna be (or probably already was) another study.

We're just smoother talkers.
Unless you've met the smoothest talker of them all.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » WOMEN are Better LIARS and CHEATERS than MEN!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 10:00:06