Do you speedread

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 12:48 pm
Amongst 100,000 potential participants we must have another speedreader or at least aspirant

My Better Half had started a course whereupon having selected a humorous tome she giggled; whereupon instructor reacted, whereupon she soon quit. In any case (1) they employed a system in which one wasn't supposed to catch every word. This seems to me a mistake since one can lose an entire thought with such omission. Other methods must surely be put forth to address this issue

(2) A system emphasizing, eg, the capture of verbs or nouns might be more likely to succeed but not so sure

(3) Scanning downward in (a) zigzag or (b) clockwise spirals has been suggested as a means for capturing each and every one. Method 3a works best with narrow column where the entire line requires only a single glance

I see method 3b much more difficult
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 484 • Replies: 9

engineer

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 12:55 pm
@dalehileman,
This was the big thing when I was in middle and high school. Reading speed was correlated to intelligence. I always read slowly, much to the surprise of my teachers, but aced all the tests. I never thought speed reading was all that valuable, especially when reading for pleasure.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:43 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
...especially when reading for pleasure.
Couldn't agree more wholeheartedly, Eng. However today it seems we're inundated
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:57 pm
I recently took a speedreading course and afterward I read War and Peace in ten minutes! It's about Russia, I think.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:00 pm
@contrex,
Con once more again you've made my day
knaivete

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 11:54 pm
@dalehileman,
When I was in first year at university I did a speed reading course, and at the end of the week the instructor offered me a job teaching speed reading at various high schools, which was too fast and almost incomprehensible, just like speed reading so I politely demurred.

Henceforth, I might speed read all your posts Dale, with a slight preference for the 3b technique using a reverse lituus spiral in which the angle is inversely proportional to the square of the radius (as expressed in polar coordinates)..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5c/Lituus.svg/300px-Lituus.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lituus_(mathematics)
roger

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 12:29 am
@dalehileman,
Mine too, man.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 11:47 am
@knaivete,
Vet you've made my day Monday and maybe Tuesday too

Weekend already set up
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 12:12 pm
Real life moves at a much slower pace. Trying to read a book in ten minutes doesn't prove much except they never got pleasure out of reading it.

Yea, I've always been a slow reader. The last book I read was "I'll Cry Tomorrow" by Lillian Roth. It took me five days; reading about 3-4 chapters every night before hitting snoozeland.

There's just too much information to skim through such a book to really appreciate her autobiography, and that's true of the majority of books worth reading.

Thinking for a fraction of a second about feelings and experiences just doesn't cut it! What has the reader really experienced from reading that fast?

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 12:35 pm
I can read some stuff pretty quick; a medium length trashy novel in maybe 2 hours, but some writers seem to make me want to savour them more, for example Charles Dickens.
0 Replies