Do Kids do door to door school fundraisers where you are?

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 07:08 pm
Candy bars
Butter Braid pastry
Christmas Wrapping paper
Christmas gifts from a candy and nut catalog

These were all very common in the last ten years, then two years ago they just STOPPED. Not one in the last two years.

I am thinking that my district forbid door to door sales for fundraisers, probably under pressure from their insurance carrier. Another possibility is that we ran afoul of the rule that had been in place for years that students could only go to a door to sell if they already knew the people in the house, the last of my kids left the house over a year ago, and we dont know many of the neighborhood kids now.

How is it where you live?

Come to think of it, I rarely see the boy scouts selling their popcorn or the Girl Scouts selling cookies...they are in front of the Walmart and the Post Office only now.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 620 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 07:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
They tried for awhile. After BBBs hip surgery during the 2012 campaign season, she kept trying to get up to answer the door everytime someone wanted to sell themselves, their business, their school, their religion or their politics. It was so frequent that I had to put a stop to it before she hurt herself. There was so much door to door traffic that I printed out a sign and taped it to the door. That sign has stopped about 95% of the soliciting.

The sign says NO SOLICITING, NO CAMPAIGNING, NO PRAYING. For the 5% that ignore it, I just point to the sign and close the door.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 08:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
we haven't had the door-to-door school fundraisers for years

now the parents email us the website links at work

I miss the cookie dough mix in a tub - the macadamia nut one was really good. No one seems to be selling frozen cookie dough - or frozen pierogies - anymore.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 08:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
We get a few but it's all from kids we know. There's kind of a circle of people who know that if you buy from them, they buy from you.

There's one fundraiser that I actively seek out from the neighborhood elementary school 5th graders -- for holiday wreaths. They're gorgeous! I send one to my mom, one to my mother in law, and get one for myself. There have been a couple of years that I don't know any 5th graders so I have to hunt one down.

They also do a fundraiser where they sell peonies. I usually do indulge in cut flowers but peonies are so special that I'll happily buy some.

And the holiday home tour....

And the Catholic school that sells Zenner's sausages....

And the plant sale...

I guess I'm a sucker for some of the fundraisers. Luckily our area schools sell some cool stuff.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2014 05:52 am
@hawkeye10,
It seems they sell some items outside the supermarket - very few if any door to door. I think in part, people worry about the safety of the kids and also in part that not as many people are home during the day.

My kids bring home a fundraiser every year and I throw it away. I used to buy the crap, but because it is mostly expensive stuff that I won't use I stopped buying it - I would rather just write a check directly to the school so they get all the money.

Canning I think is the best for that reason - my daughter's travel basketball did this one year and they collected more money than any of these fund raisers. I think more people are willing to toss in a buck or their change than buy a $1 candybar that the fund raiser will get 10 cents from it.
0 Replies