Printing business cards....

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 09:29 am
Does anybody have business cards printed out for themselves? Do you use an online store or do you print them out at a brick and mortar based business?

Who is the most reliable source you used? What is a good price (per unit)? For a schmuck like me, how many units should I initially get if I'm just doing it for a lark (networking junk and stuff)?

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
jespah
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 09:35 am
@tsarstepan,
I had done my own (using a program called, I think, Business Card maker or some such). The problem with that is perforated edges when you pull the cards apart. Cutting with a scissors is even less reliable in terms of look and feel, and you can't put heavy card stock into a standard printer anyway.

Hence I use Vistaprint. They are very cheap; the quality is decent. But be sure to check and recheck the look of things. I ended up with an email address on mine that was in print that I felt was too small. But you can get a good 500 or so for I think less than $20.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 09:38 am
@tsarstepan,
Back when we gave business cards out like candy and had them for both the gallery and the design business, we used to go to Kinko for them. But that was back in the dark ages of the early 2000's. We were happy with them. We were picky re font and wanted an elegant look to the cards, and that happened via our particular choices.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 09:44 am
@jespah,
We did an extra special mailer via a good postcard making company that we'd used forever. It had a gorgeous (if we did say so) photo of a garden and pond plus a little data on the front side next to the photo and more details on the back, plus room for addressing and stamp. Both of us checked it all out separately and together more than once.

We missed that Los Angeles was spelled wrong in the proof - not like either of us to do, but we did. Not a good thing for a design promotion.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 10:19 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Hence I use Vistaprint. They are very cheap; the quality is decent. But be sure to check and recheck the look of things. I ended up with an email address on mine that was in print that I felt was too small. But you can get a good 500 or so for I think less than $20.

I literally heard their ad on Spotify this morning. Gave me the idea to actually make up my own cards for the ... hey of it I suppose.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 10:28 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

We did an extra special mailer via a good postcard making company that we'd used forever. It had a gorgeous (if we did say so) photo of a garden and pond plus a little data on the front side next to the photo and more details on the back, plus room for addressing and stamp.

Did you use Adobe Photoshop to design your cards?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 10:37 am
@tsarstepan,
No. Our postcards didn't need it, as the photos were good already, whether by me or the artists, and they always turned out great on the printed postcards. This was back in the days of films and certain Nikons. It was our failed proofreading on that one episode (out of, say, 60 more times ordering mailers) and that was our fault.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 11:00 am
@tsarstepan,
HaHahaaaaaaaa. Really?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 01:38 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Does anybody have business cards printed out for themselves?
Yes; I 've had them since I was about 12.
Thay come in handy.

tsarstepan wrote:
Do you use an online store or
do you print them out at a brick and mortar based business?
The latter.

tsarstepan wrote:
Who is the most reliable source you used?
I don t remember; bought in quantity,
thay last like forever even when u give them out a lot.

tsarstepan wrote:
What is a good price (per unit)?
next to nothing

tsarstepan wrote:
For a schmuck like me, how many units should I initially get
if I'm just doing it for a lark (networking junk and stuff)?
5OO shud last a long time.
U might get some letterhead stationery w/envelopes
at the same time, if u don t already have them.
Have a layout in mind b4 u go. Decide what to put on it;
e.g., email address, fone numbers. Color of ink??
Look over the paper stock & available font styles, to suit your taste.

David
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2014 02:07 am
Another hint: If you print your own with an inkjet type printer, the colors will run if they get wet. Probably not the impression you were trying to make.
0 Replies