How Many Solid Thoughtful Decisions A Day Can You Make?

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 12:09 am
Everyday, investigating, weighing the pro's and con's?

Three for me I think.

I was readying somewhere a theory which is new to me....that we can only make a finite number of good decisions a day, so when we go the the supermarket and need to decide between 30 variations of brand/flavor/size of ketchup we are actually going through a life depleting process. Actually the claim is that we almost all suffer from choice overload, and simply abdicate the process and grab something without thinking. Not thinking or choosing at all has a nasty way of not working out for us too.

The theory goes that what you need for a happier and more productive life the theory goes is fewer choices.

What say you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 507 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 12:19 am
I'm just about old enough to remember two TV Channels in the UK. Then a third and fourth were added, and it stayed that way for years. Two BBC channels and two independent.
If there wasn't anything worth watching on any of these four channels, we simply turned off the TV and did other things....reading, chatting, board games, going down the pub (adults of course).
Nowadays, the art of 'grazing' has come into being. Even with all the outrageously crass TV Channels deleted, most Brits would still be left with about thirty. The vast majority of it is bland on a good day, so actually it isn't really any better than the four channel era.

I used to actually enjoy sitting down to watch TV, but am pretty bored with that activity now, so yes, less choice in some things is not so bad.
It's the quality that counts, imo.

0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 11:34 am
@hawkeye10,
I made a valuable decision today, in fact, all the decisions I make are valuable.
0 Replies