What everyday items do you order online?

Miller

Sat 11 Oct, 2014 07:26 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Dave, I enjoy the Fall season. I love the crisp air and the 65-70F weather.
We've had some rain, this year, but not as much as previous years.

Have you seen the movie, or read the book, "The Silence of The Lambs"?

It's on TV, in Boston, right now...

Have a good night...Smile
OmSigDAVID

Sat 11 Oct, 2014 08:53 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Yes, Dr. Miller. I like Jody Foster.
I saw it when it came out, and on TV; always good.

I like the Fall too, in that the temperature
relents somewhat from summer in Florida.

I hope that u and your family will optimally enjoy the movie!

David
OmSigDAVID

Sat 11 Oct, 2014 09:05 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Hi Dave!

For B&N, please go to their website to find out about the $25 membership program.

AMAZON: Go to their website,and you'll find all the necessary info there.

ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT: I go to the specific electronic sources. I like to deal with the stores directly.

One thing I don't like about Amazon, is their use of a company called Lasership, in place of UPS direct.
Sometimes the boxes aren't delivered until after 10 PM.

Not good, Dave.
Thank u for the information, Dr. Miller.
I hope that your practice is thriving!

David
Miller

Sun 12 Oct, 2014 08:06 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Hi Dave! Great Sunday morning here in the Boston area. Yes, my practice is moving right along. I suspect that your retirement now allows you to have more freedom to read and travel. Be careful of the Florida sun. You don't want wrinkled skin or even skin cancer.

Well, another online source for me is a Dairy up here in Massachusetts. I order milk, cheese, ice cream, and bagels every 1-2 week and I do this all online. The milkman then delivers it to the front door.

It's not expensive and the milk is always fresh and comes strictly from the cows on a single farm. The ice cream costs about $7/3 quarts.

They also sell blueberry bagels. That's a must in Fall and Winter.

Take care! Smile
OmSigDAVID

Sun 12 Oct, 2014 02:30 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Hi Dave! Great Sunday morning here in the Boston area.
Yes, my practice is moving right along. I suspect that your retirement
now allows you to have more freedom to read and travel.
Be careful of the Florida sun. You don't want wrinkled skin or even skin cancer.

Well, another online source for me is a Dairy up here in Massachusetts.
I order milk, cheese, ice cream, and bagels every 1-2 week and I do this all online.
The milkman then delivers it to the front door.

It's not expensive and the milk is always fresh and comes strictly from the cows on a single farm.
The ice cream costs about $7/3 quarts.

They also sell blueberry bagels. That's a must in Fall and Winter.

Take care! Smile
That sounds very good, Dr. Miller! Your wisdom is conspicuous.
I agree in regard to your caution concerning the Florida sun.
I 'm not a good looking guy, but I have no wrinkles.
My skin is checked by a doctor every 6 months.
I like to wear broad-brimmed hats in daylight or to stay in out of sunlight.
I LOVE the freedom that my retirement from professional practice has given me.
Do u believe that u 'd like to have the same freedom at some time in the future ?

David
glitterbag

Sun 12 Oct, 2014 02:51 pm
What I love about Amazon is that it can save you from visiting dozens of stores looking for low demand products. I actually ordered an ironing board and it was delivered in 2 days. I buy hairspray, shampoos and the like just to save me a trip. Plus you know right away if they have what you're looking for in stock.

I also order online from department stores. I was shocked recently when I was looking for cheap serving trays, I checked Target, Kohl's, Bed bath and beyond, but Macy's had the trays on sale cheaper than all the others. (Macy's is somewhat of an upscale retailer)

Returns are simple, as long as I don't get lazy and forget to repackage the item.

I need to take another look at Zappos, I order my shoes from department stores, Talbots, or catalogs. I will shoe or handbag shop in a store because I'm anal about the materials used making purses or wallets.
roger

Sun 12 Oct, 2014 02:59 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

What I love about Amazon is that it can save you from visiting dozens of stores looking for low demand products.

Boy Howdy! I once had a need for a handful of parts bags, which are smallish cloth bags used for holding parts while a device is being worked on. Our largest industrial supplier said "Parts Bags?" and said it very slowly to show I was the ignorant one in the crowd. Another simply told me they didn't stock them. Combined, I wasted over an hour looking for a local vendor. About half that to find them and complete the order at Amazon. Local merchants are really making themselves difficult to support.

0 Replies

Miller

Sun 12 Oct, 2014 05:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Miller wrote:

Yes, Dr. Miller. I like Jody Foster.
I saw it when it came out, and on TV; always good.

I like the Fall too, in that the temperature
relents somewhat from summer in Florida.

I hope that u and your family will optimally enjoy the movie!

David

Hi Dave!
Yes, I saw the movie, last night. I read the book some time ago. One of the best books around ...
0 Replies

Miller

Sun 12 Oct, 2014 05:43 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Dave:

Back to online buying...I just bought 2 shower curtains from Bed,Bath& Beyond. I checked out Amazon, but I didn't like what I saw. The curtains on Amazon looked a bit cheap...Smile
OmSigDAVID

Sun 12 Oct, 2014 09:13 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Dave:

Back to online buying...I just bought 2 shower curtains from Bed,Bath& Beyond.
I checked out Amazon, but I didn't like what I saw. The curtains on Amazon looked a bit cheap...Smile
Yes; a few months ago, my assistant pointed out
a local store of Bed, Bath & Beyond.

I got some Egyptian Cotton Sheets. I like them.

David
hawkeye10

Mon 13 Oct, 2014 03:39 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
my assistant

Is she young and cute?

You have an assistant! How posh.
Miller

Mon 13 Oct, 2014 08:18 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Miller wrote:

Dave:

Back to online buying...I just bought 2 shower curtains from Bed,Bath& Beyond.
I checked out Amazon, but I didn't like what I saw. The curtains on Amazon looked a bit cheap...Smile
Yes; a few months ago, my assistant pointed out
a local store of Bed, Bath & Beyond.

I got some Egyptian Cotton Sheets. I like them.

David

Dave: I agree. The Egyptian Cotton Sheets are excellent. I ordered mine some time ago at either LandsEnd or LLBeam. Excellent quality and these sheets lasted a very long time. As I recall the sheets were made in Israel.

Take care!Smile
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Mon 13 Oct, 2014 08:58 am
@hawkeye10,
DAVID wrote:
my assistant
hawkeye10 wrote:

Is she young and cute?
Younger & cuter than me.

hawkeye10 wrote:
You have an assistant! How posh.
very handy, indeed!
When I arrived from NY after my house caught on fire,
she helped me adjust to Florida with several plethoras of valuable service & advice.
She is good at selecting the indigenous restaurants, inter alia.

David
Miller

Mon 13 Oct, 2014 09:08 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Is she full time?
OmSigDAVID

Mon 13 Oct, 2014 09:16 am
@Miller,
When I need her full time

Her name is Devorah.
Miller

Wed 15 Oct, 2014 12:38 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
That's a very nice name.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Fri 24 Oct, 2014 12:46 am
Amazon just lost 95 cents a share, and shipper margins have evaporated to almost nothing because of Amazon....... you Amazon Prime sluts best be prepared to either start paying a lot more of online ordering or else return to schlepping to brick and mortar retailers.

SORRY!
0 Replies

Miller

Sat 1 Nov, 2014 02:24 am
@Miller,
How do you figure this? One (+)week ago, I ordered two books from B&N online and requested they be sent to me via express mail. So far, as of 11/01/2014, the books ( supposedly shipped almost immediately) have not arrived.

If this is EXPRESS MAIL, why should it take 7+days to go from New Jersey to Massachusetts? Part of the problem, as far as I can tell is the use by B&N of UPS coupled with Lasership.

When I call the 1-800 number for customer service, I always end up having the call routed to a foreign country , where the B&N rep can't understand why it shouldn't take 7+ days for an express (!!) package to be sent from NJ to Mass...

Or even worse (: why it's normal to first send books to Florida from NJ and back up to Mass for an EXPRESS delivery...

Will B&N ever wake up and try to save their company?
Nancywu

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 01:49 am
@boomerang,
When I need somenthing, I will first think about ordering it online. I have bought things online. Cellphone, clothing, shoes, computer, something to eat, bed sheet, bike, wow so many
0 Replies

Miller

Mon 3 Nov, 2014 02:02 am
@Miller,
Well, so far the books from B&N are still missing and no one knows or even cares ( except me) about their whereabouts. I've discontinued my membership at B&N, called their 1-800 number at least 10 times , tried to contact them online and have now given up.

I took out a Prime membership at Amazon ( 30 days for free!) and ordered 5 new books. I've used Amazon in the past for dog food, tide,soups and other goodies and have never had any problems.

I'm surprised at the variety of books offered by Amazon and at low prices ( for the most part). I've always had excellent service from Amazon and in the future will be buying all of my books from Powells ( excellent service ) and Amazon.

I think B&N started going down the tubes ( at least with online service), when customer service was re-located to at least one foreign country. As far as I can tell, Americans can't contact B&N in their NJ office via phone. All calls are transferred to another country ( not Canada or Mexico).