Wearing ankle brace to bed ?

nutlug

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 11:13 pm
My 83 yr Mom wears her ankle brace to bed, she's scared of falling in the middle of the night when she pees, So thats 24/7 that brace is on and it's deforming her leg and ankle because she keeps it real tight . I keep telling her it needs to come off and let the leg get circulation , She's won't do it . What do you guys think?

Thanks , Steve

roger

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 11:17 pm
@nutlug,
I agree it's not good. I also think she's got a valid concern. Can you get her a walker and keep a night light on so she can see it in the dark? Well, I know you can. The question is whether she would accept it.

Actually, I think an orthopedic consult might be in order. Mothers are not famous for accepting advice from sons or daughters.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2014 12:00 am
@nutlug,
Gotta go with you. My brother wore a brace to bed every night because he was pigeon toed, but it was only to bed. I need support hose because of a varicose vein but it was made very clear to me that I should not wear it all of the time.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2014 07:06 am
@roger,
Yep; let the doctor be the expert/"bad guy".
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2014 06:33 pm
@nutlug,
I side with jespah let the doctor be the one to correct her.

Search for a geriatrist. They have a lot of hability and touch with elder patients. They now tricks about how to talk to them and make them behave.

As what happens with children there is always a way to make them understand their situation. Pediatrist do it all the time.

Many times an elder patients respects the indication of a doctor as a law, but discard any rules set by his or her kin.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Wearing ankle brace to bed ?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 04:16:24