PLEASE READ MY SCARLETT LETTER ESSAY!!!

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 02:02 pm
HI I'VE ALWAYS HAD TROUBLE WITH ESSAY SO HELP!! AND YES I DID USE ONLY 1 EX BUT I DON'T NEED HELP ABOUT MY EX. HAHA I WOULD BE GRATEFUL IF YOU FOCUS ON MY THESIS AND ESSAY STRUCTURE(TOPIC SENTENCE, INTRO,CONCLUSION, ETC) AND GRAMMAR. Very Happy THANK YOU!!!

Do you consider Hester to be a strong female character? Or, to put it in another way, is The Scarlet Letter a feminist novel? You will need to provide, first, your own definition of the term “feminist” before you move on to your argument about the topic.

What is the true definition of the term, “feminist?” In today’s media, feminism is usually referred to as women who support their rights. However, some feminists earn negative attention from men, because they sometimes refer to men as inferior to women. Even though the true definition of feminism is “women who stay strong no matter what situations they’re in,” some women seemed to misunderstand this concept. Hawthorne clearly demonstrates true feminism through his character Hester, in The Scarlett Letter. Although people conceive women as weak and vulnerable, Hester was a strong female character, because she raised her daughter by herself, protected her lover and even endured the pain of wearing the shameful letter “A.”
Hester raised her daughter, Pearl, without any assistance, even though raising a child is a very difficult task. Hester had to make a living out of her sewing skills and didn’t have any advice with raising children. Also, because Pearl was an odd girl, she sometimes made Hester suffer. Throughout the novel, Pearl consistently mocks Hester for wearing the letter at her chest, and demands to know the truth from her. This reminded Hester of her shameful past that she desperately wanted to hide from her daughter, and often made her miserable. An ordinary woman must have thought about another option about raising such an odd child by herself, but Hester, being a strong woman, never thought about such thing. Hester’s strong female character allowed her to take care of Pearl on her own.
Hester was able to protect her lover, Dimmsdale, from Chillingworth, which proves that she was a strong woman who bravely stood up for her lover. When Chillingworth found Hester in jail, Hester was trembling continuously, because she was afraid that he might do harm to Pearl or Dimmsdale. She was never afraid to sacrifice herself to protect her people and was willing to do anything for them. When Hester was at jail, she pleaded Chillingworth not to harm her daughter and never gave Dimmsdale’s name to Chillingworth. Even though Chillingworth threatened her with potion and spells, Hester remained strong and didn’t say a word. Hester was a strong woman who sacrificed her everything to protect Pearl and Dimmsdale. Hester showed that true feminism isn’t looking down on men, but standing up for her belief and protecting others.
Hester had to wear the letter on her bosom and was the subject of gossip among townspeople, but she remained sturdy and continued to move forward. For her punishment of committing adultery, Hester first had to stand on a scaffold, and then wear the letter for the rest of her life. Most women would have cried or begged for mercy when they were given such harsh punishment; however, Hester faced her fate bravely. She stood on the scaffold and endured the embarrassment for many hours and didn’t beg or plead. She kept her pride while protecting her lover, but her bravery didn’t stop her. Hester didn’t hesitate to help others even when she was wearing the letter, because she knew that it was her duty to help people who were more miserable than her. For Hester, going out to public with the letter must have been very shameful, but Hester endured those feelings and faced townspeople with bravery. Hester is a feminist in every way, because she didn’t give in to humiliations she faced, rather, overcome them.
For centuries, women were seen as inferior to men and they’ve gained their rights only few years ago. Today many women stand up for their rights and encourage equality. The true feminists also appeared, who stood up for their beliefs and stayed strong no matter what kind of challenges they faced. Hester from the Scarlett Letter showed the spirit of feminism through her actions throughout the novel. Hester is indeed a true feminist, because she took care of Pearl by herself, protected Dimmsdale and even overcame the humiliations she faced by wearing the letter on her bosom.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 816 • Replies: 0
No top replies