Arguments - conclusion and premises

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 09:24 pm
This question is related to argument identification by finding the conclusion and premises. The conclusion for this argument is that 'we should move to the most convenient and most practical time system of all — a single Earth Time for all of humanity.' (as opposed to time zones). From the article about this, I have identified what I think are the appropriate premises below. However, I am unsure as to whether disproving or discrediting time zones counts as a premise/support for the conclusion that we should move to a single time? i.e. do statements 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 count as premises for the conclusion? Also, should statements 8 and 9 be merged to something like 'Time zones will allow us to communicate unambiguously with each other about when we are doing things.' - effectively deleting statement 8? Lastly, are there any hidden/implicit premises that I have missed? Thanks.

The argument : (1) Time zones cause more trouble than they are worth. (2) It's time to do away with this barbarous relic of the past. (3) It is difficult for people to collaborate across time zone boundaries. (4) It is genuinely annoying to schedule meetings, calls, and other arrangements across time zones. (5) The need to constantly specify which time zone you're talking about is a drag. (6) Commuting across time zones would be more annoying still. (7) One time to rule them all will not force California office workers to show up at the wee hours of the dawn. (8) Within a given time zone, the point of a common time is not to force everyone to do everything at the same time. (9) It's to allow us to communicate unambiguously with each other about when we are doing things. (10) Today, however, we are very accustomed to the idea that time zone boundaries should be bent for the sake of convenience and practicality. (11) That means we should move to the most convenient and most practical time system of all — a single Earth Time for all of humanity. (12) It’s a simple, practical and logical extension of why we created time zones in the first place.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 515 • Replies: 3
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 11:21 pm
@gussiecohen,
I'm still wondering about the idea that time zones are barbaric. I need to think about this. I'll be back.
roger

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 11:53 pm
@glitterbag,
It would be handy, especially around the international date line. Should keep everyone at the same date and time. Just think, you would never have to enter the artic circle to see the midnight sun. I suppose it would always be high noon in Greenwich, England. I would mention that it would totally screw up navigation, but we mostly use gps, anyway.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 11:55 pm
@glitterbag,
Actually, I think the question may have arisen in a rhetoric class, and might have nothing to do with standard time at all.
0 Replies