• Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,096 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 10:55 am
@anand raj,
Raj that's a toughie

http://onelook.com/?w=dual&ls=a

Incidentally © doesn't make sense. I presume that's supposed to be "parallel" but then how would the RC circuit be it's own "dual"

Maybe you meant "parallel CR circuit" but sounds nutty

Maybe there's a more sublime and technical meaning for "dual" that a participant with such knowledge will reveal
0 Replies

deadrxn24

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 07:43 pm
@anand raj,
I will explain first, then I will give the answer.

Here's an excerpt from one of my EE textbooks:

Quote:
The concept of duality is a time-saving, effort-effective measure of solving circuit problems. [W]e must interchange the following quantities: (1) voltage and current, (2) resistance and conductance, (3) capacitance and inductance.

- Fundamentals of Electric Circuits (4th ed.), Alexander and Sadiku

Some dual pairs are listed below:

Quote:
Resistance (R) ↔ Conductance (G)
Inductance(L) ↔ Capacitance (C)
Voltage (v) ↔ current (i) [this includes sources]
Node ↔ Mesh
Series ↔ Parallel
Open Circuit ↔ Short Circuit
KVL ↔ KCL
Thévenin ↔ Norton

NOTE: Linearity MUST apply for a dual to exist and even then there may not be a dual. Circuits are duals if they have the same characterizing equations with interchanged dual quantities (as listed).

Since my text explains it so well, I will again reference the method for determining a dual.

Quote:
Given a planar circuit, we construct the dual circuit by taking the following three steps:

1. Place a node at the center of each mesh of the given circuit. Place the reference node (the ground) of the dual circuit outside the given circuit.

2. Draw lines between the nodes such that each line crosses an element. Replace that element by its dual.

3. To determine the polarity of voltage sources and direction of current sources, follow this rule: A voltage source that produces a positive (clockwise) mesh current has as its dual a current source whose reference direction is from the round to the nonreference node.

– Fundamentals of Electric Circuits (4th ed.), Alexander and Sadiku

Here’s an example from the same book:

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q665/deadrxn24/Duality_Example_zps2d5e96cf.jpg

Now, as for your specific problem – using the method above, the correct answer to the question of

Quote:
What is the dual of a parallel RC circuit?

is

Quote:
(b) A series RL circuit.

Note, however, that the resistance to be used in the dual was converted from a resistance to conductance; that is, if the resistance was R=5Ω, then the dual resistance is 1/R = G = 1/5 = 0.2Ω.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 11:44 am
@deadrxn24,
Wow 24 thanks for that

Since it's a bit beyond me however you might explain the purpose of a dual circuit in simple terms suitable to the average clod (me). For instance, does the dual equivalent of a circuit react the same way to ac, therefore somehow easier to analyze

…which admittedly wouldn't make sense if the dual of an open is a short
deadrxn24

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 03:01 pm
@dalehileman,
The purpose of dual circuits is mostly so that you don't have to re-solve an entire array of mesh or nodal equations on another circuit when it's the dual of one you've already solved (it's already solved for you, you just need to switch the dual quantities).

I've never had to use this technique outside of the class I learned it in (at least not this way); however, this general idea of the duality of electricity and magnetism is very useful in developing circuits where you need an opposite response or the same response in a different quantity (voltage vs. current). For example, high pass filter vs. low pass filter (these are not necessarily dual circuits - they just exemplify the dual nature of the elements).

As far as reacting the same way, the answer appears to be

Quote:
Dual circuits react the same way!

BUT, you must understand that it is a similar response under dual conditions (current response to voltage response).

For instance, if you were using a voltage source and you were looking at the output voltage over some element, then the dual response would be the same as long as you were looking at the output current through the dual of the same element mentioned in the voltage driven source (again, remember that the dual of a voltage source is a current source).

Quote:
To put it simply, the equations are exactly the same, but the variables are switched with their dual element. Not one single numerical value will actually change (the steps for determining the dual should prove this), but what you're looking at will change.

Using a dual is more useful when using variables (R, L, C, etc.) as a means to quickly obtain the solution of a circuit - from there, the desired values are chosen for the desired response. Often, the dual of one specific circuit will not perform as well as the other, but this comes down to how each element is manufactured and the typical values, tolerances, and power ratings of each device.

And just in case it isn't clear, when you solve for a dual circuit (assuming it has a dual) you must change every element in the network; otherwise, you've altered the response of the circuit.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 03:45 pm
@deadrxn24,
24 thanks most kindly for that thorough exposition
0 Replies