Question for romance novel lovers

jora

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 03:11 am
This is a question for all you romance novel buffs :wink: ---

I was curious as to if there are any romance novels (mainstream that is) out there that don't end happily (happily meaning the hero and heroine wind up together at the end). My mother has read romance books nonstop for the last decade or more and she says she has yet to come across such a story. This has made me, as I said, verrrry curious. Do books like these just not feature this kind of ending?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,161 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 04:41 am
jora- First. let me say that I do not read romance novels, but I do have a comment. IMO romance novels are a form of fantasy fiction. In these novels, many women take a break from their humdrum world, and engage in a romantic fantasy. As adult fairy tales, these books, in order to "work" have to have a happy ending!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 05:49 am
I agree with Phoenix. Women (and the few men) who pick a Romance Novel to read do so because of the guaranteed happy ending. These readers have quite enough of reality in their daily life and relish the escape to a fictional world with an exotic tinge and guaranteed happy endings.

Personally, I use science fiction and fantasy for my escape reading, but I can sympathize with the romance readers. "The world is too much with us, late and soon...."
0 Replies

aimeemarie123

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:45 am
I only read Nora Roberts, and I need the romantic fantacy (we wont go there)... never come across a sad ending.
0 Replies

Roony

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 08:08 am
You know what....I read this book once and the heroine actually DIDN'T end up with her lover boy...the book is called "I Love Capri". But then again, it is a romantic-COMEDY...it's a great book though. Very Happy
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 06:58 pm
Yes. That's the point of them.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 07:49 pm
I have just finished reading Moonstruck in Manhattan...

http://www.likesbooks.com/W01f.jpg

The ending was tragic! She decided to leave and pursue a career in cheerleading, where she eventually married the star quarterback. But he was seeing other women on the side; she eventually found out and cried herself to sleep every night.

I have never felt such pain. The poor girl.

And the hero of the novel, the guy on the couch, after she left him he decided to commit suicide and jumped off a building top. Problem was he hit the restaurant awning on the way down, bounced into the air, and landed in the back of a passing potato truck.

His screams were lost in the din of the traffic as he disappeared.

The reader never does find out where the potato truck was going or what happened to the hero.

The whole book was like that -- one tragedy after another.

So, don't ever be coming to this site and telling me romance novels all have happy endings.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 04:51 am
Well, I guess the saying "Never say never" applies here, but that one sounds more like accidentally(?) black comedy to me. On the other hand, Harlequin isn't much noted for sophistication or subtlety . . .

I think it's the potato truck that got me.
0 Replies