The new wave of young female musicians

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 04:43 pm
I have to say that I'm relieved. There have always been strong women projecting their images in rock, and to some extent pop music, here and there. But despite strides in the 1980's and 1990's, I was feeling that the marketing people were really getting way too twisted for my personal taste. Yes I realize certain "forumulas" sell especially in pop music, but the early part of this decade was really getting me down.

All the young female artists being marketed by the corporations, to the young girls out there in yes, the single age range digits, -- Well I will admit it was getting to me. Britney Spears, Christina Aguillera, Mandy Moore, Jessica Simpson. Each I realize have different levels of talent, or not, etc. Yet each was being put out there, and I saw my young cousins vibrate toward them, faster than moths toward torrid flames. When the dust settled it seemed like it was, and still is Britney vs. Christina. Personally, I don't care that much for either, although I will say some of their songs have good pop hooks, as any good, prefab pop should have and personally I think both have some talent, both Disney trained and all that, although Christina has the most vocally, she's got something that's truly a gift there with her voice.

Yet it all seems to be about the image, the marketing and merchandising, which in the music industry/business, is yes, greatly the way it goes. I found most of it very sexualized, okay over the top in the sexual imagery and aimed not just at the Baby Boomer and Post-Boom guys, but at the little girls (the pre- pre- teens) -- That's what got me upset.

I was just saying to my little cousins, I don't hate Britney, I just want her to get dressed. You know I wasn't trying to alienate her from her idol, just put some perspective on the whole thing. I mean at this point, I felt like "we" (as in the entire free world at least) has seen most of her physical attributes, and enough already. If you want to sing fine, but my we've already seen everything you own (if you know what I mean). Now I think Christina's second album is being eclipsed by all the sexualized marketing now as well...I think the marketing people should really go back to the bar or whatever. They say no publicity is bad publicity, which it isn't, yet I don't think she's gonna be collecting a diamond album sales on that one, although time will truly tell. Seems though the whole "seamless concept" thing has failed. And in the mean time, Britney is cutting her sabbatical short to start her next album, before she loses the rest of her fan base, especially since most young audience attention spans are at a critical low point.

I felt somewhat justified that entire commercial plan for these female artists hasn't turned into brand extensions so easily. Britney's star vehicle movie "Crossroads" wasn't the hugest of hits. I was number one, for a week of two and quickly eclipsed. So was Eminem's (but that's a whole other discussion). But I was glad when I heard the numbers on the box office returns were squashed by rather quickly...And I was glad my aunt didn't let my little cousin see it (just for the principle).

This is what gives me hope though. The new girls. Michelle Branch, Avril Lavigne, Vanessa Carlson. Pretty young things who sing and write their own stuff. Michelle plays guitar and Vanessa plays the piano. The images and the marketing play this up as well. Avril is being marketed as more of the Anit-Britney, skater punk girl. And as contrived as it is into itself, I don't care. In fact I'm almost giddy -- Strong, young, attractive and talented girls -- I hope will inspire the under 12 set, preteens & teens, not only want to shimmy around scantily clad but maybe become musicians themselves, because you never know.

Now I'm not so naive to thing this is all just out of no where, although once in awhile fate takes a hold of the status quo and gives it a good kick. For example grunge just made everyone stand on their head for a little while. Then of course the industry caught on, and turned it out themselves and everyone else moved on. Any art form whether visual, audio, literary, etc. can't stand still, the next thing always develops out of what was and the rest gets a place if not often a footenote in history.

But in this case, I don't care who are pushing these girls on the industry side, or that there's a marketing plan, which of course there is -- Whoever they are (and I hope some of them are chicks) are doing something for the greater good. And until they start stripping on MTV (yeek I hope not), I'm going to smile every time I hear them on the radio.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,520 • Replies: 5
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 05:17 pm
The new girls you mention I as well was overjoyed to see. I think mostly due to the same basics you have outlined and how I know how the younger generation gravitates to these figures as models for themselves.
However, I must say, I think that the short lived popularity usually makes it not so very concerning but, still the sexuality, yes...a bit much. The fact that these figures arent going down as one hit wonders certainly can be a bit much to keep taking in when you are concerned about it.
Also, keeping in mind the sexuality of teenagers today, they probably would go hand in hand no matter who it was up there, if not in dress or actions, probably in lyrics or album art, etc. etc. Just like everyone said about the Beatles when they first arrived on the scene....and look at how we think of them today as an attribute to the artistry.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 05:24 pm
I have a 15 year old daughter, and was sad to see Christina A.'s nasty video. (I think the name of the Album or top hit is actually, "Nasty") This girl has a commanding voice, and I hate to see the 'cheapening' of girls to get a buck.

Makes me hearken back to the good old days, when the women folkies ruled without getting boob jobs.

Joni Mitchell, what happened?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 06:52 pm
Back in '99 I heard an interview on NPR of Shannon Curfman. She had just put out her first CD 'Loud Guitars and Big Suspisions', which I bought on the strength of the interview and selections... Kind of a young Bonnie Raitt. The song-writing could use a little maturity (?) but whaddaya want? She was just 16.

Last night we went to the local First Night celebration in our small town. Went to see Leah Schulman. Very very good. Good song writing, commanding voice, great stage presence, and she's just a freshman in college...
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 11:53 am
Hi all.

Quinn -- I agree with you. Most teenagers like to have something in common, to bond to, etc. and music can be both uniting and disenfranchising. I think as long as boy bands and these "pop tarts" sell they will never go away.

Boy bands I think serve their purpose to a huge audience of teen & mostly preteen girls. As a kid of the 80's and a former Durannie, it gave myself and Jr. high friends something in common and something to bond over. Although we all went completely different ways with musical tastes once we were in high school. Then in college, I met many friends (both women and straight guys) who loved Duran Duran much more hard core than I did, as far as the music (solely) and this loyalty went for many years after their popularity/hysteria peaked, and actually continues today. So I guess even though they were dismissed and are generally categorized as an 80's New Wave, boy band, they have carved a niche for themselves as well.

The Beatles I think were probably the originators of something so much bigger than they didn't realize at that time. Not their music, putting that completely aside, but yes, the youth's mass reaction to it. The record industry's reaction to them was to prefab bands to duplicate their success, the most successful commercially were The Monkees. Who have their own little footenote in pop culture history, including how they became unhappy with the gig they initially, willinging auditioned for these jobs. I remember once, back in the late 80's (I think) MTV christened them as the band with the first music videos for their songs, and for a short time played their shows. Now the guys in the boy bands, can even recite the basic formula for success -- The cute one, the bad boy, all the elements, etc. And these shows such as "Making the Band" document the pre-fabrication, the kids totally know about it, have a hand in the process, etc. and the stuff sells.

I myself can accept that trends come and go, and the whole cliche that the more things change the more they stay the same. These little "lolita nymphets" were (yes) getting to me. Although I'm sure that Britney and Christina won't be totally abandoned by little girls by say, Avril Lavigne and Pink -- Although they are generating a lot of success too. Time will only tell.

Lash Goth -- Yes I think the album and the single had the same name. I've only seen clips of the video, and it reminded me of others I'd seen, but with having a goal, of intentionally trying to outdo them all...
I think heirs to the legacy of Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon and many female artists of the 60's and 70's -- Are women like Sara McLachlan, Paula Cole, Shawn Colvin, Melissa Etheridge, who all had some success in the 90's. At the time it was great, that an all female tour like "Lilith Fair" which was derided and expected to fail by the industry had solid success. But McLachlan who organized it, was smart enough to know, the time would run out, and limited the number of years that it ran. Of course all of these artists were appealing to people in their 20's and 30's and weren't looking to target anyone in the single digits like Britney and Christina, et al. are specficially doing.

I'm not sure the new girls are targeting anyone in specific. Michelle Branch has a successful single/collaboration with Carlos Santana. So it's a whole different ball game.

Seal -- That's great, whenever local/independent artists are supported. I've tried to support a lot of local artists in the Boston area that I love as well...
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 06:49 pm
Norah Jones seems to be a good possibility for the young...we can only continue to hope...and perhaps even have them find out what Jazz is like..the horror! Wink
0 Replies