CLASSICS: The Foundation of our Literature

Zedd

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 08:28 am
Hi there! How many of you had to read classic novels either in high school or college? and How many you dreaded reading these hefty books? Come on admit it, how many you actually liked some of the books you read?

I, for one, loved some of the books I read in high school. Take Gullivers Travels for instance by Jonathan Swift, is an awesome books.

It would really be awesome if all of you would just contribute the name and author of your favorite classic novels. And share what you really liked about the books.

Happy Reading!

~> Zedd
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,797 • Replies: 25
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 08:47 am
Kafka's The Trial - very scary, very moody, I dunno, it just sorta spoke to my then-teenaged soul.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 09:52 am
A Separate Peace, by John Knowles.

I just re-read it recently. It's still the greatest book EVER.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:13 am
Amen Kicky. Had to read it my junior year. Couldn't get it out of my head.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 12:25 pm
I'm perpetually re-reading the works of Charles Dickens. After 40 years, I'm familiar enough with the plots to find them ideal for pre-bedtime reading when I'm not quite ready for sleep, but I don' t want to start a new book.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 12:37 pm
Oh yeah. I read David Copperfield many years after high school. Loved it. Great holiday reading. Dickens has such great characters.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:52 pm
kickycan--

Dickens is a wonderful storyteller. Granted, his heroines are a bit gooey, but he was paid by the word and gooey heroines sold copy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 03:28 pm
I loved most of the classics I have read - and I have read a lot.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 05:27 pm
Okay, i have to say I like dickens best for wit, but my condition makes it difficult to read anything above a 3rd grade level, so I'm going with "Island of Blue Dolphins" and "The Bridge to Teribithia."
0 Replies

Zedd

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 07:33 pm
kickycan,

I read a Separate Peace in sophomore year and I thought it was great too! (minus the work, term paper of course).

Let me see, one classic play I definitely love is...
The importance of being ernest." Oh my god, that play rocks!
0 Replies

Zedd

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 08:16 am
I'm watching the movie version of "The Importance of Being Ernest" now. It's the one with Reese Whitherpoon...has anyone seen this one?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 02:52 pm
Like dlowan, I really loved most of the so-called classics we had to read. I was really impressed by James Joyce's Ulysses when I took a course in Modern Lietrature at University. Of course, I didn't even try to read and understand the whole book then; no time for that, one has to know just enough to pass the finals. Then, a couple of years after graduation I set myself the task of sitting down, reading it word for word, and researching anything I couldn't understand. It was an exhilarating experience. I had set myself a deadline -- Bloomsday! -- and I made it just under the wire.
0 Replies

maya

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 05:56 pm
When I was young I started doing this thing where whenever I went to the library I would walk to a random aisle, close my eyes, turn around, wave my hands, let it land on a book. I would take that book home and read at least three chapters. Worked out well more than a few times and that is how I came upon Lavengro by George Borrow. It is the first book I carried around for a week after reading it just to have it near.
0 Replies

Zedd

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 03:48 pm
wow, mayo, that is awesome! You know what's funny, I did the same thing too for the longest time. But the bad thing was that after awhile, I knew about the names of the ailes with with my eyes closed, lol. The good thing is that I picked what I read on fate instead of on what the media say, so I guess that's good.

By the way, did anyone knew that my name, "Zedd" is based on a character in a book I read? Can anyone figure out what book or book series?
0 Replies

Sententia

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 06:31 pm
My favorite classic is Charles Dickens' David Copperfield. I'm very sad that my high school no longer includes this great novel in its curriculum. My oldest sister got to read it with her class, but I don't get to...

But I did get to watch the A&E version of the book in my freshman world history class!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 11:56 pm
Classics? My favorite are Sophocles' Oedipus trilogy, Oedipus Rex, Antigone, and Oedipus at Colonus.
0 Replies

Zedd

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 10:37 am
wow, you guys read some pretty tough classical books...*sigh*

I really love Les Miserable, tho...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 01:56 pm
For some reason I could never get into Dickens when I was a kid. Oliver Twist, for example, always seemed like such a goody two-shoes to me I couldn't sympathize with him. And the Deus ex machina endings always seemed contrived. Would you believe that in high school I actually loved Shakespeare? After seeing the Laurence Olivier Hamlet on the big screen (only way to see it then -- there were no VCRs yet), I suddenly, in a flasg of insight, began to understand the Bard's English. Then came Julius Caesar with Marlon Brando as Marc Anthony and James Mason as Brutus and I was hooked.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 01:19 am
Let's see...

From high school I liked

The Lord of the Flies - William Golding
Siddhartha - Hermann Hesse
Perfume - Patrick Süskind
Batallas en el Desierto (maybe Battles in the Desert) - José Emilio Pacheco
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 09:36 am
I don't recall having to read any classics except Romeo and Juliet. (maybe I just didn't listen to the day's instructions or something, possible.) But when I was teenager I did read Wurthering Heights and some other book like that I have forgotten the name of. (It was about the English gentry and something..)I read Gone With The Wind several times, does that count? Smile

Anyway, lately I have been scrolling through the classics in search of rhymes on the internet. I have read bits and pieces of Shakesphere and I have found that I like Emily Dickerson. When I am on a down day, she fits right in. She sure had a thing about death though.

On the whole I find most of those classics to be incredibly high brow and boring. I don't think I could get through a whole book of Shakesphere which is a shame because I think there would probably be a lot I would find interesting.

btw-please excuse my spelling. I have been on the internet for quite a while and I don't want to take the time to look all the many words that I can't spell.
0 Replies