Stepping out of character.

onyxelle

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 11:18 am
Wyatt I am rolling
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 11:19 am
Seriously, osso? How weird.

Wiyaka...please don't misunderstand. My comments weren't about you. They were about my frustration at how difficult it is to find clothing for myself vs. how simple it is to find clothes for my husband. Grrrr. Not as deep as you took it. Wink

However, while we're on the subject...I'm very glad you've found a community & friends IRL that accept you as you are and your relationship with Sam. I'd like to think A2K is part of your "community" now, too. You're absolutely right...gender and sexual orientation are not determined by the shape of a person's body (or the clothes they wear) but by their brain. I've been saying that for years. Although many haven't listened. <sigh>

Your Native American teachings are way ahead of the rest of our society, of course. Very interesting, and quite reasonable if you ask me.

Quote:
So, I guess another way for me to be out of character would be to go in "drag", as a man. I'd use rough language, drink, carouse with women, wear Levis a denim shirt, western belt, boots and scratch my crotch. I'd demand that Sam keep house and have dinner ready as soon as I came back from fishing, hunting or drinking. I'd lie like heck, cheat on Sam and pinch or insult waitresses. I'd know I was always right, 'cause I'd be a real man. I'd tell crude jokes, not caring who was insulted. I'd be the first to start a fistfight and grin at my opponents injuries.

Oh, please don't do that! (That's NOT my definition of a "real man" at all, btw.) Just be yourself, whatever you know that to be. And please be assured, you're just fine by me....(as if that matters.) I'm SO glad you're here!
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 02:33 pm
Eva,

I apologize for mistaking your example of buying clothing as being directed towards me. I fully understand the frustration, I'm extra tall for a woman and Sam is short for a guy. Trouble is that even though we both sew, finding or making time to do it is hard with our "quiet" lifestyle.

Thanks for your being so supportive of us and others. Because of assimilation, Sam and I sometimes find people, claiming to be traditional, to be actually hostile or at least ill at ease in our presence. I think the fact that we don't force ourselves on others and are respectful makes it much easier for us to re-open doors that assimilation had closed on so many like us.

I love going to a Gathering or pow wow and being asked, "Are you a man or a woman?" I always smile and answer, "Yes, I carry both a man's and a woman's spirit." It arouses their curiousity and gives me a chance to teach about our traditions. BTW, when asked a question that has two answers (other than yes or no), I usually andswer "Yes.", so be prepared for that in the future.

One more thing, I do consider A2K to be part of our community. It allows us the free exchange of knowledge, opinion and silliness, in other words just being us. I've met very few that I wouldn't like to meet over a cup of coffee and fry bread.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 05:35 pm
I'd love the coffee, but I'll have to pass on the fry bread. Low carb diet right now, y'know! (hahaha!)

Yes, I hate it too when people assume they know who I am just because they see the surface. Believe it or not, it happens to middle-aged, white, Christian, married women with children who drive SUVs, too. Two weeks ago a relative sent me an e-mail with a request to donate to their latest cause...and a link to a (ACK!) fundamentalist Republican site. I had to straighten them out RIGHT QUICK.

And, yes, I enjoyed doing it, too!.....LOL
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 12:28 pm
Eva,

Sounds like the junk mail asking me to join a Christian dating online service. Laughing

Years ago, while trying to deny my true self to others and myself,I went to a Promise Keepers Gathering in Minneapolis with some men from our church. While there, I met a uncle of mine that was a State Promise Keepers Coordinator. He tried really hard to get me to do the same in WI. I rejected the idea.

Two years and one divorce later, I had come out. I received a letter from the national head of Promise Keepers, asking me to work on the WI state Promise Keepers team. I spent over three hours composing my reply, I was laughing so hard tears prohibited proper vision. Laughing I responded by telling him that I was now living as a woman and going through transition for the sexual reversal surgery(SRS). Knowing that the membership was restricted to men only, I felt I had to decline the offer. However, I would be looking forward to future Promise Keepers events, as I would be looking for a family oriented husband in the future and I sent it off.

Three weeks later, I was met in my driveway by a neighbor woman that I'd told about the letter. "Billie, you've got to watch the news. It's on every TV station and even on some of the radio stations!" When I asked, "What is?" She just kept repeating that I needed to watch the news and find out. After putting my groceries away, I turned on the TV. One of the headlines was a special announcement from Promise Keepers National Headquarters stating "All future Promise Keepers Gatherings in the Twin Cities area are suspended until further notice. No other information is available at present." I laughed on and off for a week. Laughing

I wonder if my letter had anything to do with this?I love telling that little story.I don't know what if any influence that letter had in the decision, but I like to think it had a little bit. Smile
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 12:59 pm
Quote:
I don't know what if any influence that letter had in the decision, but I like to think it had a little bit. Smile

Wouldn't THAT be a hoot! Good for you! I'd like to have been a fly on the wall when they read your letter! I've been known to write a tartly worded letter or two in my time, too. I think we'd get along well, Wiyaka.
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 04:43 pm
Eva,

We already get along, love. :wink: Now, lets go raise some hell! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 07:46 pm
Hey, folks. Sorry that I could not monitor this thread properly. Other things that I had to do.

Goodnight,
From Florida
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:02 pm
Hi Letty!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:48 pm
Wiyaka, you are a testament to what religion can actually do to a person. Consider this an addendum to your reading in my psychic thread. There are some people who just can't step out of character, and you are one of them. Nobody should ever have to step that way. As Popeye once said, "I yam what I yam..." Olive Oyl was completely flat-chested and boyish as well....makes one wonder. Wink All in fun, Wiyaka, you have become one of my favourite posters, you and Sam.
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 12:35 am
Awwwwwwwwww Cav, you're very sweet. Embarrassed

I tried being someone else for 49 years and came close to suicide several times because of the depression, anger at society and myself for thinking that I had to conform. I'm glad I got over it.

I wouldn't wish my life on anyone. I know what it's like, but I wouldn't swap it for anything!

Well, it's early and sam's called for me to warm the bed for the pups, so I better head of to dreamland. Morning all, ,Biggggggggggggg yawn!>
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 06/17/2024 at 12:29:10