Other Potential Uses - 12V Air Compressor

CDobyns

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 08:47 pm
I'm tired of having to shell out a handful of quarters every time I need to put some air in the tires on our cars - so I've decided to go "all-in" and invest $30 in one of those 12V home air compressors.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41nqHvebQwL._SX355_.jpg

Despite this huge, oops . . . I mean nominal investment - I'm on the lookout for "other" uses that I can apply the compressor to, on things around the house. Now while I'm reasonably certain it can't be used for such things are drying your hands (or drying your hair), or for inflating the occasional ego - I wondered whether it might have some application in running some kind of air-actuated tool, or maybe in driving some sort of airbrush for painting - or something along those lines. I don't actually own any kind of air-driven tool or an airbrush, but I thought that someone would weigh-in on potential other (legitimate) uses for a air compressor, which purportedly has a maximum PSI in the 150PSI range. Anything?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 791 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 09:49 pm
@CDobyns,
I think you're being a little optimistic about the capacity and durability of a 12 V compressor. Some are great for cleaning corners and crevasses in the garage and perhaps some dirty tools.
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 12:50 pm
@roger,
It would be very useful for asthma sufferers when they want to extinguish birthday candles.

Or for pushing the air out of the window when the dog farts.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 12:52 pm
Drying inside the pockets of recently washed lederhosen?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 02:28 pm
Great! He hasn't come back, so I'll assume we've got him all lined out.
CDobyns

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 05:56 pm
@roger,
Okay, when I invited this input, I just knew it was a mistake to "plant bait" - regarding the statement about using the air compressor to inflate egos (although I didn't stipulate whose ego . . .).

These suggestions are all clearly in the tongue-in-cheek category, although I was a little surprised that no one had suggested the possibility of cleaning dryer duct lint - since that seemed like a classic.

In the slightly serious category, I wondered if you could't use the compressor, in conjunction with a compressed air tank, which I seem to recall can be used as a pressurized air source, for functions like air brushing. Does that sound right?

Okay, I'll open this back up to further ideas . . . and see what we get.
roger

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 06:22 pm
@CDobyns,
Hey, I mentioned a use for cleaning. I meant to leave it to you to decide what needed cleaning, and hope you don't try it on the cat.

Seriously, I really doubt it will last very long if you start using it to pressurize air tanks and most other uses. At the price, I'm inclined to think of it as something you try before getting out the jack and spare tire.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Other Potential Uses - 12V Air Compressor
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.1 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:57:02