roger

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 06:37 pm
@Foofie,
To the best of my recollection, she said "For the first time in my life, I am proud to be an American.". Did she also say she was thankful her husband had roots, whatever that means?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 08:41 pm
@wmwcjr,
My response is fairly long and so rather than lay it out all in on long post, I'm going to break it out into segments.

wmwcjr wrote:

I was going keep the following opinion to myself, but I've changed my mind.

I'm glad you changed your mind and not because of your complimentary comments for which I thank you. Unfortunately, I've not been reliably civil to everyone who deserves civility, but I'm endeavoring to mend my ways.

Quote:
As usual, the disclaimer (before I continue): If I were to be ideologically categorized, "early '60s liberal" would come closer to describing my political and social views more than anything else. But the political culture has changed since the time when I was a young man. I happen to be pro-life, and I don't support same-sex marriage -- positions which are anathema to today's left and, incidentally, account for my unpopularity in this forum. Anyone and everyone who doesn't support same-sex marriage is viewed as a hateful bigot who wants to hurt gay people. There's no room for nuances in politics. I'm not a supporter of President Obama; so, please don't go barking up that tree.

You give with one hand and take away with the other. Smile I don't accuse people of supporting President Obama (as if it were pathology) in response to an expression of an opinion. I at least try very hard to address the position expressed and should I think it is wrong or foolish, the first thing I think to write is not "And you must support Obama!" If someone expresses support for Obama, there's a good chance it will come up in my response, but I rarely go barking up that tree without a clear sight of the squirrel's tail.

Quote:
Now here's where I make you mad instead of people on the left. I suspect that McDaniel is a racist. Indeed, the political conservative movement has always had a white racist element in it. Always has and probably always will.

You actually don't make me mad with this opinion. I don't know McDaniel well enough to be certain that he is not a racist. He could be, but it would disappoint me (whereas with someone else it could easily anger me) if you have nothing more than a suspicion that he is a racist and yet have decided to advance that narrative that he is. If you have something to base your suspicion on other than he is associated with the Tea Party and lives in Mississippi, let's see it, if not, then I think you are being irresponsible at best.

In any case, the focus of my comments concerning the Mississippi GOP primary was the perfidy of the GOP Establishment. I think you will agree that Cochran & Co. did not undertake the tactic to paint McDaniel as a racist because of any great concern for African-Americans in Mississippi. This is not to say that they do not have any concern for these folks, just that they weren't motivated by some noble desire to protect them from a racist threat. They were motivate by winning and willing to do whatever it took, including smearing one of, ostensibly, their own and risking reinforcing negative perceptions of conservatives and the GOP.

Quote:
If I may digress for a moment, Senator Rand Paul's statements on race-related issues have to be some of the dopiest comments I've ever heard. "I would have marched with Martin Luther King Jr., but I would have opposed the 1964 Civil Rights Act" (words to that effect). Oh, please! "The Republican Party has always been opposed to racism." A lie, and a big one at that. The truth of the matter is that the Republican Party turned its collective back to black freemen when Grant left the White House. Black Americans didn't have a friend in the White House until Truman became President. In that period of time lasting generations, both parties were steeped in racism. I could go on, but why bother talking about the lightweight (Rand Paul, that is) who doesn't seem to have a clue. Just another silly, conniving politician.

I tend to agree with your overall assessment of Rand Paul but I don't agree that his statement about King and the Civil Rights Act is entirely inconsistent. You have to keep in mind that Paul is his father's son, and a Libertarian. A libertarian can reasonably reconcile a desire for a certain outcome with opposition for a means to obtain it that has proven successful and is seen as reasonable to a majority of people. Hell, you don't have to be a libertarian to do this, although they often find themselves in such a position. Because his libertarian philosophy doesn't accept certain governmental decrees and strictures that can be considered coercive and infringing on personal freedoms (no matter their purpose and intent) doesn't necessarily mean that he approved of denying freedoms and right to any specific group. And something of the reverse is true. I'm not a big fan of drug addiction and I recognize that it almost always leads to some sort of tragic results for the addict and probably his family, but I don't believe the government should outlaw drugs. Legalizing drugs is not endorsing addiction or even turning a blind eye to it, but it is about the extent to which the government can and should restrain and prohibit individual choice. Staunch libertarians are unlikely to ever be elected to the presidency because too many of their positions can seem extreme to too many people, although they are not inherently malignant or even internally inconsistent. Rand knows this, which is why his ambition has led to him changing positions, getting squishy on principles (he was never very good at articulating in the first place), and seeking to be seen as a populist rather than a libertarian.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 08:45 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

I think of myself as lucky to be an American.

Me too.

I don't know about your thinking on pride though. Every time I feel proud about my kids I don't think it's being self-absorbed.
wmwcjr

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 10:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Thank you for being willing to take the time to write a long reply to my long post. I haven't read it word for word yet because I'm on the verge of coming down with a headache. (It has nothing to do with politics.) At first, I was afraid you'd be upset with me. This is not meant to be a criticism of you. To the contrary, it is actually praise because the usual response of so many people who post in forums is to get mad at those with whom they disagree and resort to personal insults. Because of the obvious lack of inhibition, it's understandable.

I'm sure you understand that my criticism of certain aspects of conservative politics is not meant to be a smear against any and all of those who identify themselves as conservatives. To the contrary, my current best friend (I've reached the age when one's friends start dying off) is a staunch Sean Hannity fan.

There are decent, even heroic individuals (and I mean private citizens) on both sides of the political spectrum. But as we know, one of the sad realities of politics is that the "good" people will never all belong to the same political party.

Anyway, that's enough blathering (on my part) for now.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 11:11 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
There are decent, even heroic individuals (and I mean private citizens)
on both sides of the political spectrum. But as we know, one of the
sad realities of politics is that the "good" people will never all belong
to the same political party.
I disagree.
It is neither GOOD nor DECENT
to ruin nor to undermine the personal freedom
of this Republic by distortion of the Constitution. Liberalism is distortion.
It is deception; it is lying against liberty.

David
wmwcjr

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 01:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David, I'm just some ordinary slob who posts in a forum (and probably should stay away from all forums for the sake of his sanity). Nothing I say here is of any import or influence. Besides, I really have nothing more to say here at A2K. Lately I've just been repeating myself.

Besides, the politics of this country goes from one extreme to the other. It's like the pendulum of a grandfather clock (my, how cliched that is!). I'm sure you will be quite pleased in 2016, if not this year as well. There will be a reaction against the current administration as there have been reactions against previous administrations of both parties. I would be extremely surprised if the Democratic presidential candidate wins in 2016 -- not that I'm making a value judgment about it (as I've given up on politics, anyway), but that that's just the nature of American politics.

So, relax. Smile
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 12:27 pm
@wmwcjr,
I urge you not to consider your comments in this forum to represent "blathering" or the like. They are well thought out and expressed, and compare favorably to a lot of what is posted in this forum. Not only am I not upset with your comments (and this BTW shouldn't factor in any way in what you choose to post), I welcome and appreciate them. Contrary to popular belief, I am not looking for a fight on every topic, and I don't think my views are incontravertable or even fully formed. I use this forum to develop and polish my views and any challenge of them is helpful in this regard, but it is always enjoyable when it can be done in a reasonable fashion.

That I may not agree with everything you write is by no means an indication of anything other than the fact that we see some things differently and have different opinions. If I think your views are based on erroneous information I will seek to correct you and if I ever think you are being foolish with what you think, I will tell you. Not because I, necessarily, wish to convert you to my view (and certainly not through any sort of rhetorical coercion) but because I think its important to point out foolish thinking. It's done for me all of the time, and a few times (very rarely of course) the person pointing out the foolishness is correct. It's then up to me, of course, to decide whether or not I want to continue to hold a view that is based on foolish thinking.

In any case here is Part II of my response to your thought provoking comments:

Quote:
Just look at history. From the inception of the civil rights movement through the 1970s, the political conservative movement defended Jim Crow and consistently opposed the civil rights movement. (I'm referring to the leaders of the conservative movement -- not indivduals unknown to the public such as my dear, sweet mother-in-law, a Herbert Hoover Republican who was courageously condemning racial discrimination in Texas before there even was a civil rights movement. She certainly was not a typical conservative Republican.) It's a matter of record. Just look at William F. Buckley's record, for example.

In 1964 almost every single one of the Republican members who voted for the Civil Rights Act were moderates or liberals. Today there would be no room for them in the Republican Party. They would be denounced as RINOs.

In the years that followed, conservative Republicans recruited the white conservative Southern segregationist "Democrats." Actually, most of them didn't need to be recruited. They flocked to the Republican Party. (Incidentally, my wife was very much a Republican ever since she was a kid. But a few years ago she finally left the party and became an independent because of all the "Southern Democrats," as she called them, who had taken over her party.)

I'm not going to strongly object to most of what you've expressed.

First of all, I agree that the Southern Democrats, many of whom were racists and who supported Jim Crow laws did flock to the GOP when it became clear that they were no longer welcome in the Democrat party. And yes the GOP welcomed them, not because of their racist views but in spite of them, because of the opportunity to develop the Southern Strategy that proved so effective. The distinction between welcoming Dixiecrats for their racist views and doing so in spite of them is not one that speaks tremendously well for the Republican Party. It was a cynical and unprincipled move and it has hurt them for decades. They're inability to recruit the black vote away from the Democrats is largely due to this terrible mistake.

That I’m not going to strongly object to what you’ve written doesn’t mean that I’m not going to push back. It’s true that Bill Buckley was flat out wrong on the civil rights issue, but he did not remain so until the end of his days. While his “clarification” of his hotly criticized 1957 editorial “Why The South Must Prevail” left few of his critics convinced of his conversion, it’s important to realize that Buckley had an enormous ego which was to some extent justified by his formidable intellect, and that, while he did run for Mayor of New York in 1965, he was not a politician. He was a very skilled debater and often tended to view issues in the abstract, without sufficient consideration for everyday reality, and the lives of the average American Joe and Jane. He was the type of person who would happily debate in favor of a position with which he didn’t agree simply because he thought he was that good. This is not to say that he didn’t believe what he wrote in the 1957 editorial but he didn’t really concern himself with how something he wrote or said might seem as long as it was technically defensible. A good example is this comment from the editorial which was seen as a sign of blatant racism:

Buckley wrote:
"The sobering answer (to the question is White Supremacy in the South justified) is Yes – the White community is so entitled because, for the time being, it is the advanced race."

In his “clarification” almost 50 years later he connected use of the term “advance” to the name of the civil rights group NAACP and argued that this name alone proved that blacks themselves believed that at the time the organization was founded “colored people” required assistance in “advancing” and wrote:

Buckley wrote:
"The call for the 'advancement' of colored people presupposes they are behind. Which they were, in 1958, by any standards of measurement."

This argument is classic Buckley and whether or not anyone buys it is a matter of opinion.

It is widely agreed (but not by all of course) that by the mid-1960s, Buckley had renounced his views that could be considered racist. It is said that this was due in large measure to his strong reaction to the violence used to suppress members of the Civil Rights movement and through the persuasion of his protégé and friend Gary Wills who was one of the rare conservatives who converts to liberalism. He opposed George Wallace during his run for the presidency and admitted that his magazine The National Review was wrong in opposing the Civil Rights Act. He came to speak highly of Martin Luther King and was a vocal supporter of establishing MLK’s birthday as a national holiday. This latter action may not seem all that significant, but if people are going to be criticized for and defined by opposition to the establishment of the holiday (notably Ronald Reagan, and John McCain) then I figure supporting it should be a reliable indication as well.

I’m not a conservative who reveres Buckley as a god-like figure, and it’s certainly the case that he wasn’t at all on the right side of the Civil Rights Act at the time, but I also have to figure that if liberals are willing to acknowledge and appreciate Obama’s evolution of thought on same sex marriage, they should able to do the same for Buckley evolving on civil rights.

Part III to follow anon.
roger

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 02:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

They are well thought out and expressed, and compare favorably to a lot of what is posted in this forum. Not only am I not upset with your comments (and this BTW shouldn't factor in any way in what you choose to post),

Just thought that was worth repeating.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 03:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Foofie wrote:

I think of myself as lucky to be an American.

Me too.

I don't know about your thinking on pride though. Every time I feel proud about my kids I don't think it's being self-absorbed.

In my own opinion, the "humble" feeling for the success of one's children is to be happy (for them) that they have achieved whatever, enhanced their self-esteem, increased their life enjoyment, and to let them know that one is so happy for their success/ability/talents, etc.. The proverbial Jewish mother (in jokes) is so proud of her children's success (at school for example) that many a child may feel that there is no pride left for him/herself to feel, the mother having taken it for her own self-esteem. The yiddish term to connote the mother's feeling is to "kvell." That means, I believe, to "puff up" with pride. To me that sounds like something that Miss Piggy would have done for any children she might have had. Pride just exudes, in my opinion, a certain negative quality, like the jutting out chin of the Orange parades in Northern Ireland, or the Kiss Me I'm Irish buttons at the NYC St. Patrick's Day Parade. Just my opinion. I understand that some children want to hear that his/her parents are proud of him/herself. So, then one should use the word; however, as far as feeling the feeling, I just think that is like saying one is proud that one is a human. How would an intelligent family dog feel?
JTT

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 03:32 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
How would an intelligent family dog feel?

Unlike so many of you, incredible remorse for being part of a two centuries plus rogue nation, one that has brought death, incredible suffering and hardship to millions upon millions of poor around the world.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 03:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I'm neither just noticing it nor objecting to it, and I'm not sure how you would conclude that I am.

What's with USians JTT? Is this supposed to be some sort of slur or have you added the appropriation of "Americans" to your list of our heinous crimes?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 03:41 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

yup

you're Set

And here I thought we had developed at least a somewhat cordial relationship, free of name-calling.
JTT

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 03:50 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,

Touche, Finn. Smile
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 04:36 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

To the best of my recollection, she said "For the first time in my life, I am proud to be an American.". Did she also say she was thankful her husband had roots, whatever that means?

This is pretty close to what she said (the first part at least), and not only did she say it once, she doubled down ("The hell with anyone that didn't get what I meant, I think it's a great line for a speech and will connect with my husband's supporters!"---Of course, she didn't actually say this Smile )

At a Milwaukee rally she said:

Quote:
"for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country because it feels like hope is finally making a comeback."

Then at Madison rally she said:

Quote:
"For the first time in my adult lifetime, I’m really proud of my country, and not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."

You'll note she confined her absence of pride in her country to her adult lifetime. Presumably she doesn't find the earlier childish feelings of pride in America to have been of significance or nothing has made her proud of America since perhaps the Civil Rights movement, until, that is, her husband's nomination.

I can understand why both would be a source of pride in our country to children or adults alike, it's just tough to imagine, or it says a lot about her, that nothing, nada, not a thing engendered that same pride during the interim. I believe her, of her course, I just think it was an astounding thing for the wife of a candidate for the presidency of the United States to say. In any case more optics minded heads prevailed and she withdrew the line from her stump speeches.

The ultra-oily Bill Burton offered this explanation (tacitly admitting was one required):

Quote:
“Of course Michelle is proud of her country, which is why she and Barack talk constantly about how their story wouldn’t be possible in any other nation on Earth. What she meant is that she’s really proud at this moment because for the first time in a long time, thousands of Americans who’ve never participated in politics before are coming out in record numbers to build a grassroots movement for change."

Hhhmmmnnn...She said twice that it was the first time in her adult life, but what she really meant was the first time in a long time. I'm not sure that's much better, but she's an intelligent and articulate (I haven't crossed any line with the use of that term have I?) woman, so I think we can safely assume she meant exactly what she said. BTW these "explanations" always begin the same two words: "Of course..."

It's always a riot when some political hack has to come out and explain what their guy (unisex usage here, don't want to cross any other lines) actually mean't when they said something that was perfectly clear but which may have revealed more about what they they actually think than the spokes-hack and the other team of hacks feel the public should know.

What's not particularly funny is the way the media so often lets them get away with it, and accepts the hack's explanation not necessarily as being accurate, but as being the final word on the topic.

Source
JTT

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 04:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
What's not particularly funny is the way the media so often lets them get away with it, and accepts the hack's explanation not necessarily as being accurate, but as being the final word on the topic.

That's what your massive propaganda system has done to y'all, Finn. The lies are heaped so high and wide, the truth hasn't a chance. Look at you and so many others here.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 05:11 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
And there's these too. I don't view them all the same way, but I'll let them speak for her without my comments If you look at when these and other collected quotes were said you will notice a very distinct difference between the things she had to say around 2008 and her husband's first run for the White House and thereafter.

It either means she changed the way she thought, or the Bill Burtons and David Axelrods she came into contact with more frequently were able to have some influence on what she was saying in public. Or both.

Quote:
We need to fix our souls. Our souls are broken in this nation. We have lost our way. And it begins with inspiration. It begins with leadership.

Quote:
We need big change — not just the shifting of power among insiders. We need to change the game, because the game is broken.

Quote:
One of the things — the important aspects of this race — is role modeling what good families should look like. Our view was that, if you can't run your own house, you certainly can't run the White House.

Quote:
Barack is one of the smartest men we will see in our lifetime.

Quote:
He is going to demand that you shed your cynicism. That you put down your divisions. That you come out of your isolation, that you move out of your comfort zones. That you push yourselves to be better. And that you engage. Barack will never allow you to go back to your lives as usual, uninvolved, uninformed.

Quote:
Translating hope into action is something Barack has done for his entire career.

Quote:
See, my parents didn't go to college, but they were determined to give us that opportunity. My dad was a pump operator at the city water plant, diagnosed with MS in his early thirties. And every morning I watched him struggle to get out of bed and inch his way to his walker, and painstakingly button his uniform, but never once did I hear him complain. Not once. He just kept getting up, day after day, year after year, to do whatever he could to give our family a better shot at life.

Quote:
What people were most concerned about: they were afraid. It was fear. Fear, again, raising its ugly head, in one of the most important decisions we would make. Fear; fear of everything. Fear that we might lose. Fear that he might get hurt. Fear that this would be ugly. Fear that it would hurt our family. Fear. But you know, the reason why I said yes was because I was tired of being afraid. I am tired of living in a country where every decision that we’ve made over the last ten years wasn’t for something, but it was because people told us we had to fear something. We had to fear people who looked different from us. Fear people who believed in things that were different from us. Fear of one another right here in our own backyards.

Quote:
And in my own life, in my own small way, I've tried to give back to this country that has given me so much. That's why I left a job at a law firm for a career in public service, working to empower young people to volunteer in their communities.
JTT

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 05:15 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
She's a USian, Finn. Should she be any less insipid than you?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 08:56 pm
@wmwcjr,
And finally, the long awaited Part III:

Despite Democrats caterwauling to the contrary, the seminal issues of civil rights are behind us. They’ve been fought and the right side won. What’s left now is a lot of detritus that is used for political purposes. There isn’t a faction of the Republican Party that wants to roll things back to the days of Jim Crow, and although I hate to acknowledge it, what started as the Tea Party movement is now largely a vehicle for a different group of politicians and operatives who make a living in the area, and are trying to grab their share of the power pie. Still, the original movement never was inherently racist and neither is what it has become. Of course there are racists in politics and the whites one gravitate to the GOP. To the extent they reveal themselves the GOP should purge them from the party, but this hardly means abiding by the Democrats’ hit-list. The so-called moderate Republicans who voted for the Civil Rights Act certainly had that going for them, but civil rights isn’t the only issue on the national agenda, and at this point, unlike mid-20th century, it’s not close to being the #1 priority for the nation. Call them Moderates or Big Government Republicans, I’m not voting for any of them in a primary.

Politically, I self-identify as a conservative not a Republican. I don’t have much regard for any politician, regardless of party, but the Republicans are more likely to represent the positions I have taken than the Democrats, and so I am more than likely to vote for the Republican candidate over the Democrat. It doesn’t mean I’m incapable of voting Democrat, I’ve done it before and I can do it again, but it would have to be a conservative Democrat (who are in short supply right now) and the Republican would have to be someone who clearly corrupt, a lunatic or both. I don’t see it happening.

Quote:
I could go on and on, but this post is already way too long, IMHP both of the major parties are royally messed up, but I have no answers. I fear for this country. I'm worried about our country's future. I fear we may be in store for some extremely rough times. I hope I'm proven wrong.

I’m worried about the future too and I’m pretty convinced that we are in for some rough times, but that’s probably what it will take get us back on a straight path. I'm more worried about what the nation is going to be like for my kids and their kids. With me being a Robber Baron Capitalist and all, and this fortress in which we reside (I call it Casa Uno Por Ciento) my wife and I can probably manage to make it through a continued decline before the actual fall. It won't hurt that I have a sizable number of illegal immigrants working on my estate who refer to me as Patron, and who I am training to function as a Death Squad if the worst comes.

Quote:
Finn, I'm not a debater. I shouldn't even be here. You're a nice guy, but I just don't want to play politics. Sorry. Sad All I've done is to express my opinion, and I have nothing more to say.

So don’t debate, discuss like you've done here. That means expressing your opinion and considering the ones that come back to you.

Quote:
I'm sure someone (not necessarily you, perhaps) will now make a snarky remark; but I won't read it. Good will to all, with malice toward none. But I'm tired physically and spiritually. . . .

I couldn't say, you know your experience here better than I do, but don’t let it bother you. Thumb down the posts you don’t care to deal with and Ignore all together the people who you just can’t abide. And don't let all the **** going on in the country and the world get you down. It's better than a lot of other periods of history and no worse than most. I have a tremendous amount of faith in America, and while I love post-apocalyptic novels and moves, I don't really see a dystopian future ahead for us. The only problem is that even if Americans as a whole come out the other end of a rough patch better off than when we entered, there's always casualties during any period of major change. Technology has been a huge boon for mankind but we quickly forgot all the out of work messenger boys, farriers, street sweepers, outhouse builders and the rest that fell by the wayside. No matter what system of government is in place, even when the nation and the world, in general wins, every individual can't be a winner.

In any case, there's an episode of Through The Wormhole (that I unfortunately missed but I'm sure I'll see on one of it's many reruns) which apparently discusses the possibility that the ocean is a sentient entity (sort of an aquatic Gaia) and that it will destroy us before we destroy it. If that's the case any of this stuff will prove entirely irrelevant. I've always thought there was absolutely no chance ( short of some planet busting weapons technology which we are centuries away from developing) of mankind killing the planet, as so many eco-prophets crazily predict. Long before we could ever accomplish this homicidal feat, the planet, sentient or not, will kill us. But that is a topic for another thread.

0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 09:36 pm
Take a break, watch a video.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 12:04 pm
This pretty well reflects my thoughts on the Cochran primary campaign. It's by Jim Geraghty of National Review:

Quote:
The Steep, Steep Price of Thad Cochran's Victory in Mississippi

The Republican Party has to stand for more than "just win, baby."

If you're a Republican who went all out for Thad Cochran's win last week, I hope you're looking at yourself in the mirror and asking yourself whether Cochran's victory was worth it. Because the price looks awfully steep -- i.e., having a Republican candidate denounce the conservative positions of his opponent and a big chunk of the grassroots.

Great, a 76-year-old who wanted to retire is now a favorite to return for a seventh term. Look, I get it, Chris McDaniel had more rough edges than sandpaper origami, and yes, there was always the likelihood that the Democrats would attempt to turn him into the Todd Akin of this cycle. But anytime a Republican tries to beat another Republican by adopting the rhetoric of the Democrats, they're playing with fire.

Was Thad Cochran's victory worth having a Republican explicitly running on the glory of earmarks and the value of large federal spending projects in the state? Why not just hold up a giant flashing neon sign saying "WE DON'T REALLY CARE ABOUT THE SIZE OF GOVERNMENT"?

Was it worth running radio ads declaring, "By not voting, you're saying, 'Take away all of my government programs, such as food stamps, early breakfast and lunch programs, millions of dollars to our black universities'"?

Was Cochran's victory worth a flyer like this one, contending that the Tea Party is racist?

http://patterico.com/files/2014/06/Screen-Shot-2014-06-29-at-11.48.43-AM.png

Yes, yes, the Cochran backers will insist they themselves had nothing to do with those radio ads or flyers. They just happened to benefit from messaging that demonized the positions of the grassroots.

Once a Republican candidate is running on those messages . . . how many differences with the Democrats are left? "Hi, I'm the candidate of bringing home the bacon and higher spending, and I think the Tea Party is racist. But I'm completely different from the Democrat, I swear!"

When a candidate campaigns on limited government and other conservative positions, he's making a sales pitch for policy positions and a philosophy that some other candidate can run on in the future. When a candidate campaigns on his spot on the Appropriations Committee, and his seniority, and his long history of bringing back federal funding for state projects, he's making a sales pitch that is completely non-transferrable to any other candidate, now or later. Next time around, some Democrat -- some liberal Democrat! -- will be able to make the plausible case that they'll bring back more pork than the other guy. The arguments of the Cochran campaign helped their man -- and by contending this is the proper criteria for electing senators, they're also helping some populist Democrat in a couple of years.

Is this is the new strategy for Republicans? Abandon any pretense of being the party of limited government in an effort to win over the Democratic base?

The good news is that (some black voters) voted Republican and may vote Republican again. The bad news is that it doesn't appear that the Cochran campaign made much of an argument to ...Democratic-leaning African-American voters other than, "I'll bring home the federal spending that matters to you."

A few Cochran backers are insisting this is a triumph of GOP outreach to minorities. But the methods of Cochran's campaign aren't transferrable to candidates who aren't veteran porkmeister Appropriations Committee members. And what good is this method? Denounce your base and promise to give the other party's base what they want? You might as well switch parties. Arlen Specter and Charlie Crist did.

The "Just win, baby" motto is attributed to the late Al Davis, owner of the Oakland (and briefly Los Angeles) Raiders. Davis' approach did work quite well for a while . . . and then from 1990 to 2010, they had seven seasons above .500.

(Emphasis added - I can't provide a link to the source, because it was written in a "newsletter" (The Morning Jolt) written by Geraghty I receive via e-mail rather than appearing on-line)

Democrats may argue: "What's wrong with disavowing racism and reaching out to black voters? Republicans need to become more moderate if they have any hope of political victories."

Obviously there is nothing wrong with disavowing racism, but there is something wrong with furthering a phony narrative that the "Tea Party" is inherently racist, and anyone who is associated with it is as well. This BS is bad enough when it's slung by a Democrat, but by a Republican?

There's also nothing wrong about reaching out to black voters, but doing so on the basis of a promise that you will bring more money for federal programs from DC into Mississippi is an election strategy the Democrats own, and is not consistent with what being a Republican is (or should be) all about. Besides, unless you can offer evidence that you will be more effective at bringing home the bacon (something which Cochran's seniority was intended to promise) than your Democrat opponent why would voters of any color who see this as a good thing, choose you over the Democrat?

There are ways to attract the black vote that are based on conservative principles. It's not easy because of the pre-existing aversion to the GOP and the simple fact that for a lot of black voters a big government that spends a lot of money is something they feel serves their interests. The effort has to be made, and far more seriously than it has been to date (and that includes not taking the easy way out and explaining positions that might be perceived as contrary to the general interests of black vote in a way that panders to people who have a view of African-Americans as all being on welfare and permanently attached to the federal teat.).But beside the fact that Cochran's way was sleazy, it's just plain stupid. What is the point of trying to attract some votes from an unreliable bloc, if you are going to drive away a lot of them from a reliable one?

As for becoming more "moderate," conservative don't subscribe to the Democrat definition of "moderate" any more than liberals do to the Republican version. Whether or not it is in the best interests of the nation for all legislators to be members of one muddled mass that can be called "moderate," (and I would argue that it is not), there is no point in having political parties with any sort of ideological foundation if that is the goal. Republicans are winning plenty of victories at the local and State levels, simply because a Democrat has won the last two presidential elections doesn't mean Republicans need to change their message or never win the White House again. Bush won two elections in a row, and I didn't hear any Democrats declaring the party had to tone down its rhetoric and become more "moderate," if it was to ever win on the national stage again. To be sure, I and other conservatives were giving them this advice at every opportunity, but none of us expected them to take it. Nor should they have.

Liberal Democrats and conservative Republicans rarely find the so-called "moderates" of their parties much more than a "lite" version of a member of the opposing party, and the only reason that we are hearing about "RINOs," instead of "DINOs," is that either a strong liberal contingent within the Democrat party has not yet developed, or that it is not perceived as necessary since most of the Democrat politicians already sufficiently tack in the left direction.

Liberals were no more fond of Joe Lieberman than conservatives were of Arlen Specter or Thad Cochran. I suspect that if Joe Manchin of WV keeps making his way into TV interviews, he'll soon find himself with the DINO label, if he hasn't already

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Grab Bag
  3. » Page 3
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 03:10:00