Military experts that were never in combat or service

Wiyaka

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 05:45 pm
I received my release from active duty in 1970. During my time of active duty, I was trained in Special Warfare ie; Us Army Airborne School, Us Army Pathfinder School, 82nd Airborne Division Raider (Recon) School and Northern Warfare School. From October of 1967 to October, 1968, I was in Vietnam. First with the 9th Infantry Pathfinder Detachment, supporting and becoming an honorary member of the Royal Thai Special Forces (The Queen Cobra). Secondly to the 1st Brigade (Separate) of the 101st Airborne Division, later to the 101st Airborne Division proper, when it arrived in-country.

Like many thousands of troops there that year, I experienced quite a bit. Some things were good. (I survived.) Some thing were horrific. (Too many people died.) It's been called "The bloodiest year of the Vietnam war" by many historians and others.

Since that time, I've come across a lot of people. Some feeling inadequate for either not serving in combat or even the military. Some feel that way and try to become "experts" on war , without ever experiencing it. These people spout history,logistics,strategy and even tactics like some new OSC graduate. They may be experts on "warfare", but aren't on actual war.

So the floors, open. However, I ask that this be for members of the armed forces and veterans only. Please give your branch of service, dates served and any other information you feel comfortable sharing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 838 • Replies: 11
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 06:00 pm
Without combat experience, I was still able to spot the Vietnam phonies, just from their use of the language. Most of them finally learned to talk the talk.

That's an impressive history you've got, by the way.

Army 1962 - 1967
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 06:07 pm
Not bragging, Roger. Only stating qualifications for this thread. I noticed that neither of us put down ", citations (attaboys) or awards (Trinkets). We survived the military, that's enough.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 06:12 pm
I served in the Navy from April 1962 until Jan. 1965. I don't believe having served makes one necessarily more qualified to discuss war than anyone else.
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 06:24 pm
Don't you agree that a person can study warfare, but not really "know" war?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 06:31 pm
Stephen Crane, I believe, wrote The Red Badge of Courage without having seved.
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 06:35 pm
Would you consider him an expert?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 06:46 pm
In the context of the Civil War, yes.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 07:09 pm
I did my time in the Air Force and never saw combat (I did get involved in and around a few terrorist happenings but nothing major worth noting..)

That said, I'm not convicnced that "seeing combat" makes one an expert either. I'd agree that it makes the combat vet a witness to what they saw but how much does any one person see?

If one vet was in Vietnam from 1965-1966 was their experience exactly the same as someone that was there from 1966-1967? Different times, different days, different battles and different levels of knowledge as to what was going on and why.

I doubt there are any real "experts" until things have long since been settled and everyone tells their side of the story.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 11:02 pm
First off...USN 1978 to 1993 active duty,then 1993 till 2003 USNR.
I was a corpsman with the marines,and was in several different "combat" operations.Some of them,like Beirut,werent exactly combat,but others(Desert Storm,Afghanistan,and Iraqi Freedom) were combat operations.

As for those so-called "experts",I usually try to point out their mistakes quietly,because everyone is entitled to their mistakes.
However,the people that refuse to listen and learn,or those that want to tell me I dont know what I did,I have no patience for them.
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 08:42 pm
mysteryman,

I know your job. Did it for four months, waiting for a replacement for our medic. Fifteen years on active as one is more than I'd like. However, knowing that you help the troops is quite a feeling, especially when most figure that someone won't make it and they do. All because of you.

That Combat Medical Badge is more impressive than my Combat Infantry Badge, to . My beret is off to you and all of the other "Doc's" out there. A lot of people came home alive, thanks you you and the other medics.
0 Replies

IAN442

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 04:23 pm
In response to your poll question regarding experts....
USAF - 1993-1999 (Honorable Medical Discharge)

1993-1999 E-4 - U-2 Aircraft Maintenance Mechanic.

Nothing bugs me more that some guy who reads from a book and is a so called expert.

you can't truly experience something unless you were there...no matter how much jargon and data you're fed.

And that especially goes for ANYTHING to do with the military. From your first days of boot camp till when you actually walk off the base for the last time.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Military experts that were never in combat or service
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 06:01:51