Oh Shoot Me--New GNR Band

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 02:52 pm
Okay has anyone seen the new video for this band called Velvet Revolver?
Perhaps some of you have heard OF them.

Surely many of you have heard of Guns N' Roses and Stone Temple Pilots.

Well I turned on MTV the other night and almost threw up when I saw Scott Weiland, former lead singer for STP, fronting a band with DUff, Slash, and Matt from GNR.

Why, do you ask? Is this another music snob griping about something of no consequence?

Well, I guess so. But hear me out.

Scott Weiland is the biggest poser ever. He was just wearing these tight silver pants in the video, and there was a close up on his pelvic crease. He was semi-emaciated, and for sure, FOR SURE, trying to do the Iggy Pop (circa Stooges) thing.

The music was tolerable, but Weiland's gyrations underscored the commercial nature of the sound. It occured to me that Velvet Revolver is just capitalizing on this punk nostalgia trip indie bands are capitalizing on.
There are so many cute little bands that just look like the Monkees with sneers, more concerned with their appearance than with creating anything new. They all sound like the Pixies, except gay-tarded.

I mean, "Velvet Revolver"--they're shamelessly ripping off Lou Reed and the Beatles at the same time.

Then again, who isn't?

Thank you for tolerating this rant. Feel free to add to it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,103 • Replies: 7
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 02:58 pm
Scott Weiland still lives? Wow...aside from that, I say here here. Nice, relevant rant.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 03:11 pm
Yeah, we're all waiting for his next overdose.

Oooh. Maybe that's going too far.

Pun intended!

Zing!
0 Replies

IAN442

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 10:17 pm
Sorry i don't pay too much attention to much of the newer music...because i like the original artists sounds better.
0 Replies

ledbetter

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 05:07 pm
Re: Oh Shoot Me--New GNR Band
Gargamel wrote:
Okay has anyone seen the new video for this band called Velvet Revolver?
Perhaps some of you have heard OF them.

Surely many of you have heard of Guns N' Roses and Stone Temple Pilots.

Well I turned on MTV the other night and almost threw up when I saw Scott Weiland, former lead singer for STP, fronting a band with DUff, Slash, and Matt from GNR.

Why, do you ask? Is this another music snob griping about something of no consequence?

Well, I guess so. But hear me out.

Scott Weiland is the biggest poser ever. He was just wearing these tight silver pants in the video, and there was a close up on his pelvic crease. He was semi-emaciated, and for sure, FOR SURE, trying to do the Iggy Pop (circa Stooges) thing.

The music was tolerable, but Weiland's gyrations underscored the commercial nature of the sound. It occured to me that Velvet Revolver is just capitalizing on this punk nostalgia trip indie bands are capitalizing on.
There are so many cute little bands that just look like the Monkees with sneers, more concerned with their appearance than with creating anything new. They all sound like the Pixies, except gay-tarded.

I mean, "Velvet Revolver"--they're shamelessly ripping off Lou Reed and the Beatles at the same time.

Then again, who isn't?

Thank you for tolerating this rant. Feel free to add to it.

that's how weiland is. i've seen STP live twice (once a few days before he was arrested again). although his antics are sometimes hard to watch it doesn't really matter. he's a great lead singer. the first time i saw STP live weiland literally sprinted from backstage as the opening chords of their set rang out and dove headfirst into the crowd like the madman that he is. it was an amazing performance.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 05:16 pm
I agree with ledbetter. He is a great frontman, and he's a great singer.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 09:12 am
Nothing compares to a live performance. I suppose that's the true measure.

I found the video on the indulgent side however, in particular because when Slash is in your band, there's no point in trying to steal the show. Slash will win every time.

Essentially I believe the music should come first. I am frustrated with the indie gristmill that is pumping out whiny twenty-somethings (like me, except I don't have any money) with bangs hanging over their eyes, that are not doing anything new. I believe right now we are witnessing the hairband phenomena of the late eighties, excpet with indie rock. Lot of bands sound and look the same (The Walkmen, Ben Kweller, The Killers).

So I know Velvet Revolver is not the same thing, not an indie band, but my recent frustration is rooted in this.
0 Replies

ledbetter

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 08:33 pm
Gargamel wrote:
Nothing compares to a live performance. I suppose that's the true measure.

I found the video on the indulgent side however, in particular because when Slash is in your band, there's no point in trying to steal the show. Slash will win every time.

Essentially I believe the music should come first. I am frustrated with the indie gristmill that is pumping out whiny twenty-somethings (like me, except I don't have any money) with bangs hanging over their eyes, that are not doing anything new. I believe right now we are witnessing the hairband phenomena of the late eighties, excpet with indie rock. Lot of bands sound and look the same (The Walkmen, Ben Kweller, The Killers).

So I know Velvet Revolver is not the same thing, not an indie band, but my recent frustration is rooted in this.

definitely agree with you on the "stuck in the same mold" type of thing. i abhore the hardcore scene. it's so played out that it is absolutely ridiculous. i like some of the better bands to come out of the emo-core movement i guess. sparta being one of them as they were spawned out of the disintegration of at the drive-in. i also really enjoy listening to the band brand new and thrice right now along with my early 90's grunge/alt-rock stuff.
0 Replies