he started to talk about a prenup

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 06:02 pm
He started to talk about a prenup but he has no money. What do you think he means by it.. or could I have misunderstood?

He lives with me in my condo without paying rent.

I asked him what he wants in the prenup. Did he not want any responsibility with the baby should we get divorced? (We are not married yet but trying to set a date for the wedding.)

We had a tiff about it but then he assured me he wanted the contract for me. He didnt mean a prenup but a contract, as he does not believe in a prenup.

He says what he wants is my emotional support.... I told him... well I want things too. I told him what I want is a provider.

However I am the provider, I am the emotional support and I do the cooking and cleaning and I put a roof over his head. When will he do anything. When will he cook and clean too? I want to be a mom and be house wife.

So what's going on... I must have misunderstood.

chai2

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 06:05 pm
Sounds like you need to have another conversation with him to nail these things down.

Have a notepad and pen ready.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 06:11 pm
Tell him to write out a draft so you can look it over first to see if you like it..Wink
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 06:28 pm
Hell, run with it. Hint: It's generally the person with more money who asks for a prenup, in order to protect their pre-marriage assets. Sounds like he has few to none. So have a lawyer draft one and protect your interests.
luismtzzz

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 06:42 pm
@Bluefairy00,
Seems to a me a pretty mature move from his part. He seems to know that YOU are the provider and everything else. Such prenup or contract could act at your favor in case of a bad developing of the marriage. I know many people that had done so in order to protect their properties and financial accounts. In case of an eventual divorce all your assets bought or obtained during the marriage can be protected of being splited out during the legal battle.
So follow up his idea, see what he wants to put on the contract and do your own research for what you would like.
And one more thing don´t plan to have kids soon. As a couple is better to enjoy yorselves a few years before gathering such responsabilities. In that way you can see too if he grows as a person. There are men that need a woman by their side to mature.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:03 pm
If he does not work, how does he support himself/

Does his family have money? Is he going to inherit money?

You need to have him write a draft and look at it - but I bet he has a lawyer already working on it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 09:29 am
@jespah,
Ever watch Seinfeld...

"George is anxious to get out of his impending marriage to Susan. Kramer suggests that he ask for a prenuptial agreement, knowing it will signal Susan that George isn't committed to the idea of marriage and pushing her to back out. But in order for George's action to be credible, going without a prenup must cost him something. Susan knows this and willingly signs, saying, “Prenup? I make more money than you do! Sure, I'll sign!”

Maybe he is trying to get out of marrying you? That you will get mad or maybe he is just plain dumb.

A prenup is basically a contract that you make before you get married usually centered around your money and assets prior to getting married. The idea you get to keep all or a portion of your assets that you had prior to marriage. The child thing is separate -- that would have to do with child custody and I doubt a dad whether married or not gets away without financially supporting a child.

http://yadayadayadaecon.com/clip/77/
Bluefairy00

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 12:35 pm
@Bluefairy00,
Following up: My fiance has recently insisted that he has never been a fan of a prenup since prenups makes it easier for a couple to divorce. What he was talking about was a contract and he wanted see just see how I felt about it.

What ever he meant I cant help feeling disappointed and a little hurt. I dont want to be with someone who isnt in love with me but I feel I care about him too much right now to dissolve this relationship.

I had already invested a lot of time and emotions into our relationship and I dont know how to untangle our lives with each other at this point when we already have so much of our activities intertwined with each other including family and business obligations. I dont want to disappoint anyone least of all my business clients.

The family of course will be disappointed but more than understanding.

I feel lost today.
chai2

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 01:13 pm
@Bluefairy00,
um....how has he indicated he isn't in love with you?
chai2

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 01:15 pm
@chai2,
BTW, sometimes it's a good thing if a marriage is unhappy, to have something that will speed up the process.

You can't go into any marriage with naive ideas.

50% of marriages end in divorce. My upbringing insisted in my head this was a bad thing.

Now though, I don't think it is. Not necessarily.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 01:23 pm
@Bluefairy00,
I think you're being hoodwinked. Maybe he does have a great deal of money hidden away which he doesn't want to share in case of a separation or divorce.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 01:33 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Ever watch Seinfeld...

"George is anxious to get out of his impending marriage to Susan. Kramer suggests that he ask for a prenuptial agreement, knowing it will signal Susan that George isn't committed to the idea of marriage and pushing her to back out. But in order for George's action to be credible, going without a prenup must cost him something. Susan knows this and willingly signs, saying, “Prenup? I make more money than you do! Sure, I'll sign!”
Yea, Susan laffed at him.
I went on the Seinfeld NY tour bus. The real Kramer was the tour guide.
His name is Kenny Kramer. We saw the real "RESTAURANT".
The sign actually says: "TOM's RESTAURANT", but in all of the
eps. of Seinfeld, u only get a glimpse of the first word once.
Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 07:52 am
@OmSigDAVID,
And just to make it even more odd senfeld mocking real life - there was an episode where Kramer was giving tours. It was a J. Peterman reality bus tour - and where he gave out pizza bagels on his tour.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 11:23 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
And just to make it even more odd senfeld mocking real life - there was an episode where Kramer was giving tours. It was a J. Peterman reality bus tour - and where he gave out pizza bagels on his tour.
Yeah, I remember that one.
There was another wherein Kramer asked Jerry Y he cud not
be himself (as Jerry is) in the TV show. Jerry 's answer was:
"Because u can t act."

George 's character is modeled on Larry David.

On the tour, I truthfully told Kenny Kramer
that in NY, I used to date a girl named Joan,
who looks a lot like Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

I wonder whether she is related to French Capt. Dreyfus
of Devil's Island fame? He did not tell us that.
0 Replies