Is Preacher Overstepping?

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 09:05 am
My husband and I are going through some marital issues with possible separation. He recently confided in the minister that married us 13 years ago and also performed our kids' baptisms. We have remained in contact with him over the years, but are not members of his parish. After their meeting, the minister called me and said he would like to help my husband but cannot without knowing both sides of the story. I was furious that 1. my husband gave him my cell phone # to call me, and 2. that the minister himself didn't feel he was overstepping any boundaries by calling me unsolicited by myself. Is it wrong to feel that way? It's one thing for my husband to confide in whom ever he feels comfortable confiding in, but the proper way for both of them to have handled it would have been for my husband to come home and say, "I went to see so and so. He would like you to talk to him as well if you're willing, and then maybe both of us so we can try to work through this." I was so mad to be blindsided by this phone call from someone about my marital problems when I was neither ready or willing to discuss it with anyone whom I didn't choose myself.

maxdancona

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 09:09 am
@cmw31180,
I don't think the preacher overstepped. He is doing is job. Your husband came to him for help, he is trying to be helpful.

I don't think you have any obligation to talk to the preacher. If you don't want to talk to him, you can say 'No'.

I don't think it is worth it to you to get angry about it. Just say 'No thanks' and forget it.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 09:17 am
@cmw31180,
My initial thought is your husbands part in it.

He went to someone without first telling you he was going to confide in an outside party.

I'd be asking why he did this without your knowledge.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 09:24 am
@cmw31180,
He over stepped. A phone "intervention" was out of line.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 09:39 am
@cmw31180,
cmw31180 wrote:
I was so mad to be blindsided by this phone call from someone about my marital problems when I was neither ready or willing to discuss it with anyone whom I didn't choose myself.

there's no point in being angry about it

say no thank you to the preacher and consider if there is someone you want to discuss it with

___

and, well, you know, it is actually that preacher's job - especially if he is the one who married you. don't know what brand of Christian you might be, but a number of them have it right in the minister's wedding spiel that EVERYONE at the wedding ceremony should be open to assisting the couple should they later experience difficulties and that it especially applies to the preacher/minister.
chai2

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 09:56 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

there's no point in being angry about it

I agree with your entire post, but as far as being angry, well there is no point, but emotions may have to simmer down a bit for the anger to dispel.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 10:07 am
@chai2,
years ago when I was particularly wired for sound, I went to see a campus counsellor

he gave me a little mantra to use when I got upset/over-excited/angry

is this doing me any good? is this doing anyone else any good? why am I doing this?

usually the answers are no/no/no good reason

there are times when anger can be useful but they're pretty few and far between
chai2

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 10:09 am
@ehBeth,
Agreed.

Your mantra, which is great, is turning down the dangerous gas and taking off the hit (the simmer down)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is Preacher Overstepping?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 10:09:53