The Brontë post

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 09:32 am
I often wonder whether the Brontës could have seen the enduring popularity and certain enigmatism would carry on through to the 21st centuries. What do you think about them? Generally, I like them, even though I had an original bad impression. The first time that I read them was when I was nine, and I came across Jane Eyre; I saw charm in it, and at times was intrigued, but I found it generally staid and slow-moving, a view that I don't hold to-day. Despite this, I read every book written by all of them, perhaps because I wanted to see whether Jane Eyre truly was 'the best.' I was blown away by Wuthering Heights and Villette (which I consider CB's best novel,) but my favourite has to be The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, a tale really before its time; it amazes me that it's so neglected. The only book I hated was Shirley...

So, it's a cruel question, but what is your favourite Brontë book? Who was the best Brontë, if one can even decide such a thing? Share any thoughts you have about anything Brontë related here!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 715 • Replies: 2
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 10:16 am
I found the childhood bits of Jane riveting!!!!

I have never really fallen under the spell of Emily's hyper-sensitivity, so I actually prefer all of charlotte's books more interesting - but Jane Eyre the most so.

Anne? Hmmmm - well.....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 11:11 am
I honestly like them all, but Wuthering Heights stood out the most for me. It is not my favorite, but I found it to be almost disturbing (in a good way).
0 Replies