Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 05:52 am
I had my students at two colleges, about 75 in all, research the Common Core. There was no consensus on how it began, by whom or when. That they uncovered so many different agencies behind this movement and that they discovered that different years were claimed as its starting point, says to me that a lot of propaganda is being spread.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 671 • Replies: 5
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 03:11 pm
@plainoldme,
The average (by which I take to be the mathematical mean) IQ in the US is now 95 rather than 100 as it is in much of the world.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 03:20 pm
@plainoldme,
I am very skeptical that this is true. Do you have a credible link?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 03:23 pm
@plainoldme,
pom, What conclusions have you arrived at about the ability of college students to find the real source for your question? It seems from my quick research on the internet, many don't even know where this 'standard' came from, but many states seems to have adopted them, even though many educators, politicians, and parents are in conflict as to its effectiveness.

plainoldme

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 06:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The Common Core has both conservative and liberal supporters as well as conservative and liberal denouncers. I had the students provide me with links or download or photocopy the material, so I saw all of it. I allowed them to use both professional journals and more pedestrian sources this time.

I had several aims: to demonstrate how arguments can be and are made in varying ways; to show the difference between a professional publication and a popular publication; to show that both of America's "sides" present themselves and defend themselves in different ways.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 06:44 pm
@plainoldme,
I think your lesson has many good learning opportunities to it by allowing students to see both sides of an important issue. If they can carry over that lesson to other issues, this lesson would have accomplished much more than this one lesson.
0 Replies