Classic horror novels

cavfancier

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 04:16 pm
Yes, doglover, not suitable for chidren really, but great literature. My favourite is The Juniper Tree, truly spooky. I would love to see a movie made from that tale.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 04:18 pm
Now of course, Hansel and Gretel was made for the consumption of childs, not the other way around.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 02:59 pm
I'm a little late here, but I have two recommendations.

"The Fifth Child" by Doris Lessing
"The Magic Toyshop" by Angela Carter

These are both under 200 pages. I read them in an EN-500 class on the gothic novel last year. The first involves a baby boy who just ain't right. Cats wind up dead, siblings have bruises on their necks etc. And it just gets worse.

"Toyshop" is both beautiful and scary at the same time. A teenage girl is sent to live with her messed up uncle who owns a toyshop in London. In the basement are life sized puppets, including one of her in a wedding dress. He makes her perform in his own homemade plays with the puppets, including "Leda and the Swan." She plays Leda, and is ravaged by a swan. I won't give any more away.
0 Replies