Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 05:43 pm
As part of my current class on religions I am required to interview some people on their believes. If you want to participate please just answer the questions below:
1. Do you believe in God?
2. If yes, briefly what is God like?
3. if no, do you believe in any other form of higher power? (and if so please describe it)
4. Do you think there is a moral way to behave/ treat people? why?
5. If so, what are some examples of these morals?
6. What, if anything, happens after death?
Thank you for helping!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 2,093 • Replies: 19
No top replies

trying2learn

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 06:37 pm
@shellgirls5,
no
n/a
no
yes and no details
no details
nothing
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 06:53 pm
@shellgirls5,
Quote:
Yes and no, Shell. An apodictical existential pantheist sees Her as a natural phenom and yields your right to attach to Her the term "God" or not depending entirely in what you mean by the term

Quote:
She is It, All. The Universe can be considered Her body and all the activity therein Her thinking

3. if no, do you believe in any other form of higher power? (and if so please describe it)There could be all sortsa, esp if you allow phenomena largely abstract

Quote:
4. Do you think there is a moral way to behave/ treat people?
I suppose,

Quote:
why?
...to minimize troublesome kinds of interaction

Quote:
Don't go round killing folks for no apparent reason. Smile when approached

Quote:
One's soul survives in every effect one has had on The World, much of which is retained til the sun burns out
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 07:28 pm
@shellgirls5,
shellgirls5 wrote:
Yes
shellgirls5 wrote:
His name, Jehovah, when transliterated from the Hebrew means "He who causes to become". The implication here is that no obstacle can impede his purpose; and his promise to Adam and Eve is still in effect.
shellgirls5 wrote:
4. Do you think there is a moral way to behave/ treat people? why? 5. If so, what are some examples of these morals?
(Matthew 7:12) 12 “All things, therefore, that YOU want men to do to YOU, YOU also must likewise do to them; this, in fact, is what the Law and the Prophets mean.
shellgirls5 wrote:
(Ecclesiastes 9:5, 6) . . .For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten. 6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they have no portion anymore to time indefinite in anything that has to be done under the sun.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 03:38 am
@shellgirls5,
shellgirls5 wrote:

As part of my current class on religions I am required to interview some people on their believes (beliefs--you got it right in the title). If you want to participate please just answer the questions below:

No, i consider the concept preposterous.

Obviously not relevant to me.

3. if no, do you believe in any other form of higher power? (and if so please describe it)

No, and that's a distinction without a difference--which is to say, it's a stupid question. (I blame your instructor for that, not you.)

This is actually several questions--two explicit, and the others implicit.

Morality implies a universal standard for behavior. I know of no good reason to assume that any such standard applies. How one chooses to treat people can be, and it appears, usually is not dependent upon any morality. People frequent consult their self-interest when deciding how to treat others, and claims for morality are just rationalizations, usually after the fact.

Why i believe that is personal experience, and the long view offered by history. Furthermore, there is such a concept as a moral compass, and that conditions my thinking about how people ought to be treated. When speaking of a moral compass, one is not necessarily referring to an absolute standard, as it is an individual standard, a standard conceived of and maintained by the individual. Such standards can be a useful guide to making society function smoothly for everyone in it. On that basis, my answer to why is that the more equity, the more justice there is in society, the more it benefits the individuals who make up society. Those people who treat others badly on the basis of their personal interest can reasonably be considered sociopathic. I consider that society ought to take steps to protect itself, and the individuals who constitute society from such sociopathic individuals--like serial killers and capitalists.

This is a question which asks for many answers. Basically, "morality" should render good outcomes to the most people, and should enjoin the individual to do no harm.

The body rots and people eventually forget.

This is a simple-minded and naïve questionnaire. Once again, i blame your instructor for that, not you.
0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 04:56 am
@shellgirls5,
shellgirls5 wrote:

As part of my current class on religions I am required to interview some people on their believes. If you want to participate please just answer the questions below:

No.

shellgirls5 wrote:

No.

shellgirls5 wrote:

Yes. Why? Idk.

shellgirls5 wrote:

Isn't it obvious? Our souls end up in the underworld. If I'm lucky, I'll end up on the Elysian Fields. Wink
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 08:04 pm
@shellgirls5,
Quote:

No.
Quote:
N/A
Quote:
3. if no, do you believe in any other form of higher power?
No.
Quote:
4. Do you think there is a moral way to behave/ treat people?
Yes.
Quote:
Morals don't come from God or religion, they come from us. So my/our morals are just the same as everyone else's.
Quote:
Don't know. Don't care.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 08:07 pm
@shellgirls5,
shellgirls5 wrote:

Thank you for helping!

1 - I do believe in unity yes !
2 - The sum of all things past present and future. The set of all sets.
3 - Power is relative and relevant to perspective. that is, your position in relation to your measurement. Abstractly speaking power is the order of things. There is no more worth to it then that. "God" is settled throughout all spacetime. "God" is truth n thus powerless to change itself.
4 - Yes I believe there is an universal rule for ethical n moral behaviour if social species are to be successful whatever n wherever they are. Accomplishing complex group tasks requires empathy is the best way to sum up its purpose.
5 Abiding by a common set of rules which empowers social cooperation and thrust. Do to others exactly what you would want others do for you.
6 - Death is just an odd word for change. Information cannot be lost. Archetypes of anything people and objects will repeat.

You are welcome.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 11:49 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil I gather you're pantheist like me
Or not like me, All help you
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 07:06 pm
@dalehileman,
My concept of "God" does not involve a reasoning subject, a thinking being of some sort, rather is more or less related with mathematical unity and the overall ordering of reality. But largely speaking yes we do have some points in common. I don't much care what others think about it either, fashion is not my thing... Wink
mikeymojo

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 10:25 pm
@shellgirls5,
shellgirls5 wrote:

1. Do you believe in God
Thank you for helping!

1. Sometimes
2. A clock
3. Human consciousness
4. Sometimes yes, sometimes no
5. Depends on the situation and pretty much every variable that exists at the moment
6. Everything- the world will still move on without me. What happens to me will matter only to me and no one else.

(Amended)
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 05:43 am
@shellgirls5,
1.Yes
2. Very much like the God in the Christian bible (Love, Wisdom, Justice and Power)
3. N/A
4. yes, because mans nature is not sufficient for worldwide harmony
5. It is all about agape love.
6. When we die,we die, and our thoughts perish.

you're welcome
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 10:59 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
My concept of "God" does not involve a reasoning subject….rather …….with mathematical unity and …...ordering of reality.
That somewhat vague approach is very close to my own perception, for what that's worth, not much hereabout. But all the activity throughout the Universe can be considered Her in process of reasoning

Quote:
But largely speaking yes we do have some points in common.
I'm quite sure, even minutely speaking

Quote:
I don't much care what others think about it either, fashion is not my thing...
I care to the extent I like to hear from them. However very few respond since ours seems to them so cloudy and and abstract

Of course we could be dead wrong
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 11:51 am
@rosborne979,
Rosborne, please don't take this badly but so much of what you usually say (perhaps your general orienation) could, as far as I'm concerned, come out of me.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 01:01 pm
@JLNobody,
I don't take that badly at all JL. I've often noticed the same about the things you say.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 01:23 pm
Wow! 2 thumbs down so far. That probably means I'm spot on.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 11:43 pm
@neologist,
I like water better...you seam the honey kind of person.
neologist

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 12:07 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Well, I am fortunate enough to have a honey
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 04:40 pm
@shellgirls5,

Yes

A supremely creative artist

See answer to #2

Yes, because society cannot exist without morals.

Treat others as you would have them treat you.

I wish I knew.
Either something wonderful or the lights are turned off for good. Either way, I'm not sweating it.
0 Replies

anonymously99

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 02:31 am
@shellgirls5,

Yes.

Beautiful feeling. Love neverending.

We should be kind, loving, understanding, knowledgeable, else similar.

True. Honest. Else similar.

If you believe in Jesus Christ you will continue to live life eternally. God's gift.
0 Replies