A question about motivation/determination, across subjects...

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 12:08 pm
Hi,

I have been playing drums for 9 years. Since I started at age 12, I haven't been able to put my sticks down, I even take them with me on holiday. I practice several hours a day, every day, and this is how it has been since i've started. My friends will never understand how the hell I do this, how I stay interested enough to carry on with something this purfusely for so long.

What I want to ask however, is when it comes to essays, I am terrible, half an hour is an extremely hard task for me, I am at university, and all of my friends have pretty much either handed in, or finished all of their esssays. I however, have not finished one, and not even started my dissertation. It is my final term like everyone elses and my final year, yet I still have not done anything towards my dissertation, I find it incredibly difficult to motivate myself to do it.

So what I'm asking is, how can I have incredible motivation to practice and perform drums and music, but all my friends would never be able to get as far, but they can all write essays whenever they like, easy as pie! however writing an essay whenever I liked would be an absolute god-send!

What is the reason behind me not being able to motivate myself?
How can I be so good at practicing drums, but then be terrible at writing essays?

Thanks,

Luke
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 478 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 12:26 pm
@luke1992,
Well, we've all got different talents. A lot of your friends probably would not have your motivation to practice so much on the drums.

You may also not be seeing the reward for essay work. One thing that can be motivating is to understand how your future will look if you do/don't do whatever it is you're trying to find motivation for. Writing your essay (etc.) is one of the links in the chain to finishing school. Finishing school is one of the links in the chain to independence. And independence is a link in the chain to perhaps being able to do drumming for a living.

It's a long chain, but you need all of the links in it, yes? Plus once you're through with a link (an essay and whatnot), you're done with it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 12:28 pm
This may not help you with your question about essays, but i'd say that you might be best advised to go with your passion. Richard Starkey, also known as Ringo Starr, suffered two very bad episodes of illness in his childhood. He fell behind his classmates, but worked hard to catch up. However, in 1953, he contracted tuberculosis, and spent two years in a sanatorium. That was where he was introduced to drumming. From his Wikipedia biography:

Quote:
During his stay the medical staff made an effort to stimulate motor activity and relieve boredom by encouraging their patients to join the hospital band, leading to his first exposure to a percussion instrument; a makeshift mallet made from a cotton bobbin that he used to strike the cabinets next to his bed. Soon afterwards, he grew increasingly interested in drumming, receiving a copy of the Alyn Ainsworth song "Bedtime for Drums" as a convalescence gift from Crawford. Starkey commented: "I was in the hospital band ... That's where I really started playing. I never wanted anything else from there on ... My grandparents gave me a mandolin and a banjo, but I didn't want them. My grandfather gave me a harmonica ... we had a piano – nothing. Only the drums."

I'm not saying that you should give up on your education. Education has value beyond mere employment. I am saying that following your passion may be a better idea, though. Richard Starkey may not be the greatest drummer who ever lived, but he got to pursue his passion, and did it with what became the greatest pop band in history. He survived his two severe childhood illnesses, and he's now 73 years old, and i'll bet he has no regrets.
0 Replies

luke1992

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 06:46 am
Thank you both for your comments, I will now give much time to sit and ponder these thoughts.

Thank you
0 Replies