Anyone else read Harry Turtledove?

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 09:29 pm
I picked up "The Guns of the South" recently, & it's very good.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,318 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 06:30 am
I enjoy his fantasy novels, but thus far the alternate history books seem a bit wordy.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 06:39 am
I've just finished his two novels about the traders from Rhodes after the death of Alexander the Great. I thought they were pretty good.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 09:39 am
For sure! I used to avoid his stuff on account of his name. Like, what was his real name, and why was he ashamed to put it on the covers of his books.

Some are great, some are kind of week. I favored the series involving the alien lizard invasion and it's affects on WWII.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 11:49 am
Actually, Turtledove IS his real name!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 12:50 pm
As I now know. He also has his PhD in History.
0 Replies

Tobruk

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 12:35 am
I love the World War series.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 06:49 pm
I just finished "Guns Of The South"--AWESOME book.
0 Replies

Tak

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 10:20 pm
H.N. Turtletaub
Our good friend Harry turtledove also writes under this name. Is good to see others are enjoying his work. It may sound strange, but reading the Worldwar and Colonization books actually changed the way I look at the world, and especially at Humans and our behaviours.

Anyhoo, I was curious if anyone around here knows a date for the finale in the Lizard series. I've heard broad guesses at 2004 or 2005, but I haven't gotten an exact date and I'm just going nuts waiting for it.

Also, anyone who hasn't already should read The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump. Is the only turtledove book I've read that's written in first person, and, as such, one does not have to view large events through the eyes of the world, as in the Worldwar books, but gets a front seat when things like the Garuda Bird and Huitzilopotchli (sic) come bursting into our world.

Anyway, this verbose post is a result of a bored mind, but I love the Turtledove and if anyone could tell me when the finale is coming out, I'd be grateful.

-Wally
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 06:42 pm
Just finished the last Worldwar book (Finding the Balance)--awesome, as usual.

However, could Ribbentrop REALLY have been that much of an ass?
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 11:14 pm
I have read most of what Mr. Turtledove (and turtletaub) has written.
Guns of the South was probably his best novel as it did stand alone.
Yes the Worldwar series got wordy but, ya gotta love those Jews and American hicks who all manage to "save the world." The concepts are very well done.
His fantasy alternative dragon history got too weird for me. I never liked blondes anyway.
But the Second Civil War.... Now that is a great series.
It appears that none of the posters is following this one. You should. It's very well done. He divides the United States into two separate countries after the Civil War which fight against each other during World War I and are now leading up to World War II - the newest novel out is Days of Infamy
Ruled Britannia - The Spanish win the Spanish Armada invasion and Shakespeare gets to try and help overthrow them. Good read.
The Two Georges was a cute detective story.
And his older Krispos novels are good "barbarian / Roman" heroic novels.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 11:26 am
If you mean the Great War: American Front series (which actually started with "How Few Remain"), I just finished it. Very good. It continuse in the "American Empire" series--my next selection, after I finish the Turtledove-edited short-story collection I just bought.

I just started the Colonization: the second wave series--18 years after the end of the Worldwar books, when the Race's colony fleet arrives.

For that matter (minor spoiler for last "Worldwar" book ahead):

I can't imagine a more mismatched group than a Soviet Air Force pilot (and a woman), a Wehrmacht panzer colonel, & a Polish Jew partisan leader.

(End spoiler.)

He manages to make EVERYTHING in his books believable.
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 10:12 pm
It gets even better when he continues the same series in colonzation.

He jumps the story to 1964.....
0 Replies