New to Travel Nursing-Desperately need feedback!

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 10:52 pm
Hi everyone.
I glad I found a forum that wasn't just a front for the nursing travel companies. I'm at a place in my life after 36 years of nursing, breast cancer survivor, turning 59...where I want to do some travel nursing for the next few years without the politics of staff and the freedom to take off a few weeks at a time between assignments. It's been many years since I've done travel nursing, so the three companies I'm working with all know that I'm a "newbie." I live in California and I planned on traveling in my home state, hoping to be able to pocket some of the housing stipend. Bottom line: I'm blown away by the low monetary "packages" I'm being offered so far! Example: One company told me today that with the housing stipend and travel allowance, the number she gave me came out to $27.00/hr! I'm being told that, "everyone wants to work in California," "the nurses prefer to make less taxable money and get the rest in housing stipend, etc." it all seems to still come to half of what I'd make an hour on staff. I'd appreciate any feedback as to: is this how it works today? Is it true that the lower the package that the nurse will accept equals more in the company's pocket? I wanted to remain in Southern California, but I'm willing to travel to the bay area if it would mean getting paid what I deserve. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,193 • Replies: 1
No top replies

HeavenD

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 02:13 pm
@Sunshine858,
In addition: How Will You Manage Loneliness?

Travel nursing is an exciting career but there are a few disadvantages. One is being without friends and family to lend emotional support. You'll find people to chum around with on assignment but it isn't like going shopping with your best friend.
0 Replies