Favorable quotes from famous authors don't mean a thing.

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 01:05 am
I bought a paperback horror novel recently called "The Walking" by a guy named Bentley Little. On the cover it had two quotes.

"The horror event of the year"
--Stephen King

"Unusually clever . . . highly entertaining."
--Dean Koontz

So I read it, and . . . what a piece of ****! Even for a horror novel it was bad. All the characters were about as deep as a pizza box.

So my question is, how do they get these authors to do these reviews? You would think that King and Koontz are rich enough that they wouldn't have to give quotes on books that suck. Do the publishing companies have some kind of pull that they use to get them to write favorable reviews like this? What da dealio?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,749 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Tobruk

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 12:36 am
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Does that answer your question.

Apparently King now puts his name on book now he didn't write for $$$$$$$$$$$$$.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 07:44 am
These quotes could also being taken out of context. As you probably noticed the . . . in the Dean Koontz quote, I wonder what is between "Unusually clever" and "highly entertaining" perhaps "Â…crap that only an moron would find.."
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 08:43 am
Yeah, I guess you could be right. I also heard yesterday that this book is the one Stephen King was reading at the time when he got hit by a drunk driver and almost died. Maybe he was delusional at the time. Smile
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 08:55 am
No, you can't rely on this. It's a professional courtesy from successful writers to the new ones. Someone gave them a leg up when they were starting out - they now do the same. It may cost them a bit of credibility, but that's what's happening.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 11:27 am
Or, how do you know it's "the" Stephen King and "the" Dean Koontz--maybe the quotes are from Stephen Herbert King of Hicksville, Ohio and Dean Alfonso Koontz of Nome, Alaska.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 11:35 am
And don't you hear the same about movie reviews? I would be more curious on what has been left out from the review. I did hear one reviewer state that movie ads will take quotes out of context in order to market their movie.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 11:39 am
Good point lab rat. So many ways to twist a truth, so little time. Now, as I suggested in KC's horror novel threads, Patrick Suskind's 'Perfume' will not dissapoint you. You can check out a teaser from the first chapter at Amazon. Wink
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 11:51 am
Roger is right. Blurbs are often (usually?) done as favors between friends or by an established writer being nice to a new one. There are very few writers whose blurbs mean much to me, and those are by people, like DeLillo and Pynchon, who rarely do them.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:07 am
Linkat wrote:
And don?t you hear the same about movie reviews? I would be more curious on what has been left out from the review. I did hear one reviewer state that movie ads will take quotes out of context in order to market their movie.

Heehee - or they are completely misunderstood! My favourite was some movie proudly putting on ALL its advertising material this critic's opinion: "Even more saccharine than The Sound of Music"!!!!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:08 am
cavfancier wrote:
Good point lab rat. So many ways to twist a truth, so little time. Now, as I suggested in KC's horror novel threads, Patrick Suskind's 'Perfume' will not dissapoint you. You can check out a teaser from the first chapter at Amazon. Wink

Perfume is MARVELLOUS!!!!!
0 Replies

Zedd

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 08:33 am
Notice that most of quotes used had "..." in the middle of it, this means that it's not a complete quote, maybe in that long sentence the reviewer had said there were bad stuff about the books in it. THe publishers and the author (of course) who did not wish to publish something that was bad, they would eliminate it and would only use the favorable part. (I do the same thing when I write research papers).

Anways, the other thing is you must remember that there are many different people in the world here. Some books you may have hated from the first page, but some people would cling to their every word.

I guess it's essential next time, to seek opionions of your peers before you read something! Well, good luck in the future!

~> Zedd
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 08:37 am
Rather than new bestsellers, I read classics.
Rather than new cars, I buy second-hand.

I like to experiment, but not with my money.

Relative.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 09:37 am
Zedd, yeah, I agree. I should have checked around, but it was getting ready to board a plane and didn't have time to really check it all out. I was just surprised at what a stupid book it was.

I have since looked it up on Amazon, and there are some good reviews on it, but a lot of people had the same complaints about the characters' complete lack of depth. I added one to their reviews page too, so some other sucker doesn't get taken. Smile
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 07:11 pm
Relative wrote:
Rather than new bestsellers, I read classics.
Rather than new cars, I buy second-hand.

I like to experiment, but not with my money.

Relative.

I buy books from authors I know I like. Smile Salvatore, Dale Brown, Clive Cussler, Harry Turtledove,etc.
0 Replies

imdtckdkr

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:07 am
Also the marketers are not above out right lying. There have been some authors that "endorsed" books but I heard them interviewed and they said that they had never even read the book. So it's quite possible that the quotes are made up.

But most likely it's the fact that the quotes are taken out of context.
0 Replies