memorable shows

djjd62

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 08:45 pm
what shows rocked your world

tom waits at massey hall (franks wild years tour)

stevie ray vaughn at massey hall (not long before his death)

the roches at some small club in toronto (can't for the life of me remember where, great show though)

roy buchanan & mose allison upstairs at the brunswick house (not at the same time mind you, saw each about 2 times)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,117 • Replies: 18
No top replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 08:51 pm
REM at the Myer Music Bowl, in Melbourne about 10 (?) years ago. We had front row seats. The music was great, the atmosphere was electric & it was wonderful to SEE everything clearly, too.

Another one: Elvis Costello at Dallas Brooks Hall in Melbourne. He had a bad cold at the time & was most apologetic. But he was brilliant & enchanted his audience. Very Happy Once again, seats very close to the stage. We could could clearly see him clenching his fists, in an effort to hit the high notes. Boy, he worked hard! Not a bad performance at all, from a sick man! Very Happy
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:01 pm
good shows, a house mate of mine met elvis at a pouges show in toronto, he (elvis) was sitting very quietly at the bar as the band played and my buddy started talking to him and actually didn't know who he was,he said he was very engaging and seemed genuinely nice, not the sort of celebrity nice you might expect
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:06 pm
I can imagine he would be ... He seems quite intelligent, too. Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:12 pm
About the REM concert I mentioned .... Michael Stipe obviously couldn't remember all the words of the many REM songs from over the years .... So he had them all written out & placed on a stand in front of him. As he completed each song, another sheet of paper would flutter to the stage floor. But the audience didn't mind, they thought he was just wonderful. Me too! Very Happy
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:22 pm
I love this thread! I saw Earl "Fatha" Hines at
Baker's Keyboard Lounge, Detroit, Michigan.....
It was.....the best!

I also saw Ella Fitzgerald at the Fisher Theatre,
Detroit, Michigan...It woulda been great if the
people behind me didn't try to sing along!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:25 pm
Elvis was a generous guy too. He gave pink cadillacs to strangers.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:25 pm
shepaints, just made me remember, i saw ceowded house at the state theatre in detroit, really good show, brought the house down wth "six months in a leaky boat" as an encore
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:27 pm
The best concert I've ever been to was the AC/DC concert in Baltimore back in 1981. They were doing their Back In Black tour. I'll never forget that night.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:35 pm
shepaints

I would LOVE to see Ella in the flesh! Tell us a bit more: what is she like? Is she as brilliant in performance as her recorded music. I bet the audience just loved her! Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:45 pm
Ella had one of the most clear singing voice on this planet. I have many of her recordings at home; I've loved her singing since the late fifties.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:50 pm
Agreed, ci.
She's wonderful!
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:50 pm
msolga.....I listened to all Ella's songs repeatedly from the age of twenty till I knew them off by heart...She was .....a maestro and a thrilling performer even when I saw her later when her health was failing from diabetes in Toronto......Then there was the inimitable Tony Bennet (Toronto)....I guess you can tell....I love jazz!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:57 pm
Oh, I figured that out, shepaints! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:04 pm
I just remembered 2 other concerts I really enjoyed, both at the Dallas Brooks Hall in Melbourne:

A long time ago: Sonny Terry & Brownie MaGee (Sp?) ... They were wonderful in that intimate performing space. Very moving & very powerful.

The other was Ry Cooder. All alone on the stage, with just a guitar to accompany him. Now there's a musician I really respect! He was great. Nothing loud, nothing boisterous, just good music, impeccably performed.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:12 pm
Prince
Sade
Al Green
Jackson Five
Tina Turner
Miles Davis
Buddy Guy/Koko Taylor
James Brown

All in Chicago
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:15 pm
I really love the piano skills of Erroll Garner. That's real jazz.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:16 pm
Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons at Painters Mill in Baltimore back in '78 or '79 was a good show too. Tony Bennet at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore in the mid 80's singing I Left My Heart In San Francisco was a treat too.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 01:00 am
msolga wrote:
REM at the Myer Music Bowl, in Melbourne about 10 (?) years ago. We had front row seats. The music was great, the atmosphere was electric & it was wonderful to SEE everything clearly, too.

another vote for REM - this time during "fan tour" 1997th or 1998th - in Vienna, Austria...it was small european tour only for fans in small venues, and it was really great - small club for about 400 people and 2,5 hours concert of REM.
0 Replies