“Sometimes things just don’t work out,”. Should Jerry Remy Retire permanently from radio?

Miller

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 09:49 am
Case Spurs Fan Debate Over Boston Announcer

By KATHARINE Q. SEELYEMARCH 24, 2014

BOSTON — Jerry Remy, the longtime color announcer and former second baseman for the Boston Red Sox, has been a superstar in New England for decades. He owns several restaurants bearing his name and reigns as president of Red Sox Nation, the team’s crazed, irreverent, die-hard fans.

But in August, Mr. Remy’s fame turned to notoriety. His son, Jared, now 35, was accused of murdering his girlfriend, Jennifer Martel, 27. The two had a daughter, Arianna Remy, then 4, who, the police said, was at home when her father stabbed her mother repeatedly with a knife. With her father behind bars and her mother dead, the little girl has been living for several months with a foster family.

Now, Jerry Remy and his wife, Phoebe, are seeking custody of Arianna. So are Ms. Martel’s parents, Brian and Patricia Martel, as are their son Brian Jr. and his wife, Andrea, who have young children of their own.

The families are set to face off against each other in a custody battle on Tuesday in a courtroom in Cambridge, Mass.; the proceedings are closed to the news media.
Photo
Jared Remy is accused of murdering his girlfriend Jennifer Martel. Credit Pool photo by Ted Fitzgerald

The case has drawn national attention largely because of Jerry Remy’s celebrity and the questions it raises about the extent of parental responsibility. Mr. Remy, who said at the time of the murder that he felt “disgust and remorse,” immediately took a leave of absence from the broadcast booth and sat out the rest of the season, even as the Red Sox went on to win the World Series.

He has returned this season, his 27th, and has been in Florida providing color commentary during spring training. But as he prepares for opening day at Fenway Park on April 4, his decision to go back to work has drawn mixed reviews. Supporters on websites and social media have said that Mr. Remy should not be blamed or punished for his son’s problems; opponents, some of them outraged, suggest that he enabled his son’s behavior and that his jocular patter in the booth was inappropriate while his son faces murder charges.

While the murder has been widely covered in Boston, a four-page report in The Boston Globe on Sunday detailed Jared Remy’s history of violence over 17 years and showed a pattern of leniency toward him in various courts. In almost 20 cases in which he was the defendant, the article said, he was let off; the murder case is the exception.

The most recent episode was on Aug. 14, the night before Ms. Martel’s murder. Jared Remy was arraigned on charges that he slammed her head into a bathroom mirror. But Ms. Martel did not appear in court to extend a restraining order she had against him, and he was let go. The next day, witnesses told the police that they saw Mr. Remy stabbing Ms. Martel on the patio of their suburban townhouse. Neighbors called 911 while one tried to pull Mr. Remy, a large, hulking man, off Ms. Martel. The police found Mr. Remy, shirtless and covered in blood, at the scene. He has pleaded not guilty and is scheduled for trial in October.

Jerry Remy has never offered a defense of his son.

“Words cannot describe my wife’s and my grief,” he said in a statement at the time of the murder. “Son or not, I am at loss for words articulating my disgust and remorse over this senseless and tragic act.”

Jerry Remy, a private man despite his very public job, lay low over the winter. As thoughts turned to spring training, many Red Sox fans wondered whether he would return to the broadcast booth, and whether he should.

“Is Remy obligated to retire permanently because of his son’s alleged transgression?” asked Dan Shaughnessy, a sports columnist for The Globe. Referring to Don Orsillo, Mr. Remy’s partner in the booth, Mr. Shaughnessy asked, “How is it possible to go back to the magical Remy-Orsillo formula of humor and banter during Sox telecasts?”

In January, Mr. Remy, 61, broke his silence and told reporters that he would return to his job with the New England Sports Network, which broadcasts the games.

Jennifer Martel, who was killed in August. She was the mother of a young daughter, Arianna, who is now the subject of a custody dispute. Credit The Jennifer Martel Memorial Fund.

“I felt for a couple of months, for two or three months, that it was over, there’s no way I was coming back,” he said then. “I had two main concerns: what the public would think and whether I could be myself.” But at the prompting of friends and his wife, he decided to come back.

“I’ve never been a quitter, and I don’t intend to be one now,” he said. “I’ve been in professional baseball in some capacity for 40 years. It’s where I feel I belong.”

He also spoke of his son. “Jared’s had issues from a very young age,” he said. “And we as a family have tried to do the very best we can to address those issues.”

“Sometimes things just don’t work out,” he added. “We’ve tried the best we possibly could to get him the help he needed.”

He also expressed concern for the Martels, saying his return to the booth was not meant in any way to minimize their grief.

In a statement on behalf of the Martels, Nancy Sterling, their family spokeswoman, said they had “no opinion” on Jerry Remy’s return to broadcasting because their sole focus was on gaining custody of Arianna, who is now 5.

Richard Martel, 77, grandfather of Jennifer and great-grandfather of Arianna, said in a telephone interview that it would be “a joke” if Jerry Remy were to win custody.

“It’s his son called up on murder charges,” Mr. Martel said.

“He thinks everything is on his side because he has money,” he added. “Money won’t love that child.”

Mr. Remy was largely silent in the booth on Sunday. It was not clear whether he would attend the custody proceedings in Cambridge on Tuesday.

A version of this article appears in print on March 25, 2014, on page A19 of the New York edition with the headline: Case Spurs Fan Debate Over Boston Announcer.

Miller

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 09:54 am
Jerry Remy, in my opinion, should retire from Red Sox baseball, and devote his time to setting up and managing a well funded trust for his little grandchild, who's mother was murdered.

Stay off of Red Sox radio shows, and keep a low profile.
Miller

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 09:57 am
@Miller,
SOURCE: NYTimes.com
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 08:41 pm
Who cares?

Never having met Mr. Remy and knowing virtually nothing about him, I repeat: Who cares?
Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 06:06 am
@Miller,
Not just radio - what about being the color announcer on TV?

I am mixed about this. I know someone mentioned who cares - but the thing is it seems odd/uncomfortable for a viewer to watch him joking and crap on TV with Don when his son is in court for murderer the mother of his child.

It appears and many people/fans of red sox feel Jerry had a hand indirectly in this. Jerry hired and paid for his high priced lawyer that kept Jared out of jail for a whole list of court appearances - many around abusing women and girl friends. Many feel that Jerry's celebrity status in the area helped this as well. Jerry got him a job as security at Fenway and kept his job after serving his one and only small stint in jail. It seems Jerry is enabler of Jared's behaviour. His other children have all had issues with the law as well.

To me, I thought he was great at his job as color annoucer --loved the interaction between him and Don -- but I don't know, I think if Jerry was truly a good guy - he would have done the right thing and retired from this - for the Red Sox.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 06:11 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Who cares?

Never having met Mr. Remy and knowing virtually nothing about him, I repeat: Who cares?

then why are you responding?

You probably don't understand because Red Sox fans are passionate - a sad situation all around - for a fan it is uncomfortable and hard to balance seeing Jerry as he was -- and have him act and announce in the same comical and fun way under the circumstances.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 09:10 am
Remy's son has been charged in the past with at least 17 count fo assault against women.

Who cares?

The people who wouldn't care are men who enjoy beating up on women and women (: who enjoy being degraded and physically/mentally abused by men. And anyone, who has to ask the question why?, who care? needs to re-examine his own abusive ( if such should be the case ) treatment of women.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 07:26 am
I suspect that Mr. Remy has to work to support his son's lawyer as well as his family. As you may recall, the lawyer representing his son is the same on who represented Whitey Bulger. Recall that this lawyer's fee is a minimum ofr $500/hour.

If Remy would quit his Red Sox job, could he still afford to pay the lawyer's fees?

I doubt it.

Also, it looks to me ( and of course I could be wrong ), like Remy is bringing some bad luck to the Red Sox. Poor performance in recent days by the Red Sox has been widely noted.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 10:16 am
This would be so funny if the situation were not so tragic....

"Accused killer and domestic abuser Jared Remy is lashing out at Herald columnist Margery Eagan for her criticism of his famous father — telling her to “leave my mom & DaD and Doughter out of this” in an obscenity-laced, semi-literate jailhouse letter.

“I did expect you to talk all kinds of unfactful negitiveity, about me. but it was below the belt to include my family, in my aleged duing” the heavily misspelled April 21 letter states. “one they have 1) no crimanal history, 2) and are not crimanals.”

Remy wrote to Eagan in apparent response to her March 26 and April 1 columns, which said Jerry Remy and his wife, Phoebe, had failed as parents, urged Jerry Remy to step down as the Red Sox’s jokey color man on NESN and chastised the Remys for seeking custody of 5-year-old Arianna Remy, Jared’s daughter with the woman he’s accused of murdering, Jennifer Martel.

“Go (expletive) yourself ... at least thay dident have to (expletive) and (expletive) to hold the jobe you have now,” the letter states. “whats the next thing your gonna say about me I was verberly ausalting you in this letter only 30 day time served .....”

The letter was written on legal-sized paper and contains at least 55 spelling errors. It was dictated by Remy to a fellow inmate who identified himself as his publisher, “BIG E.” Middlesex Sheriff Peter Koutoujian’s office confirmed the letter’s authenticity after a request from the Herald.

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2014/04/jared_remy_s_jailhouse_screed_leave_my_dad_out_of_this
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 10:31 am
No.

No one would ask an actor to stop making films or being on stage because one of his relatives, even a son, was accused of murder. What if were a comic? Would a comic have to stop being funny, even about things that had nothing to do with the trial?

You don't want to hear his voice?
Shoot, that's why they put those 'off' buttons on your remote.

Joe(click)Nation
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 11:57 am

i imagine the victim's family would want him to stay on the air so he can continue to support them financially...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 02:05 pm
As they say, "Big bucks buys the best justice".

When the Court case is finished, the victims family members should sue the Remy family for child support for the little girl now left motherless. As I see it, a round figure for the care of the little girl would be in the ball park of about $10-20 million.

And...as mentioned previously, Jerry Remy ( in my opinion ) has put a big curse on "Red Sox Nation".
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 02:10 pm
@Linkat,
Of course, you've heard of the latest incident in the jail! Why is it necessary for Remy, Jr to attack another prisoner with a bar of soap and a chair?

Also why the gay hatred?
Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 03:51 pm
@Miller,
I don't know - but that letter speaks volumes of the type of person this Jared creature is...
Miller

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 03:09 am
@Linkat,
Yes, it does. It would appear that he has issues with women.
0 Replies