LAB destroyed by blenders?

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 03:41 pm
Hi. All I can find is ancidotal evidence concerning the destruction of Lactic Acid Bacteria in milk kefir when blended in a kitchen blender. Supposedly it disturbs the biofilm etc.

I was wondering (wish I had a good microscope) if there exists any scientific evidence regarding this issue that would be worthy of using as a citation.

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 855 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 08:05 pm
@Lacto Bacto,
Generally speaking, heat generated by say a blender might destroy it ...depends on how fast the blades spin and how high the temp is raised.

What does this mean?:
Quote:
... exists any scientific evidence regarding this issue that would be worthy of using as a citation
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 08:17 pm
I sort of doubt it if you are just pulsing the blender, as in adding kefir to a smoothie concoction. Me, I like mine sort of lumpy anyway, so not all smoothie pooh. But I don't know that much about kefir and this film you're talking about. I have a degree in bacteriology but that was long ago now and I don't remember anything about this film business back then.

My smoothies are never warm at all. Bacteria are very very tiny, relative to getting their cell membranes whacked by a couple of blades.
0 Replies