Persistent Plug-In Offer

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 05:22 pm
I was looking up some lyrics for a thread on A2K. I went to a lyrics site, and up popped a box that asked if I wanted to download some plug-in. Naturally, I didn't want to, you I clicked, "no". Then another box popped up saying that in order to view the site, I would have to download the plug-in.

Again I clicked "no". This went back and forth a few times. I even wanted to delete the site from the toolbar (taskbar? I never know the difference), and that didn't work.

Anyhow, after 6-8 times playing cat and mouse, the plug-in download box finally disappeared, and I was able to access my lyrics.

Oh, I tried it again, and found that if you are persistent enough, the box will go away.

Link to Obnoxious site.

Why does this happen? Is it legal?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 691 • Replies: 8
No top replies

panzade

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 05:24 pm
The Lyric site is particularly bad...I steer clear.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 05:40 pm
Re: Persistent Plug-In Offer
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Why does this happen?

Because some webmasters care more about making money than satisfying their visitors.

This usually happens on non-sticky sites about topics that are hard to draw "legit" ads. They draw in one-time visitors through searches and then bombard them with popups and such. They don't care because they don't expect you to come back. Lyrics sites are notorious for this.

In other words it's intentional. The webmaster is allowing that kind of advertising to make money.

On A2K, we block those. We had one the other day and we severed ties with the entire advertising network because of that one ad (coupled with the fact that the network provided no way for me to block the specific ad).

Quote:
Is it legal?

In most areas (in fact in all areas as far as I know) yes.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 05:48 pm
Craven- Thanks! Very Happy

At one time I had the occasion to access a lot of lyrics sites. I have a pop up blocker (Google toolbar) that makes a noise when it blocks popups. When I went to those sites, it sounded like fireworks were going off! Also, that was about the time that I installed Ad Aware and Spybot. Boy, did I have a lot of cleaning up to do. Now that I don't often go to the lyrics sites, I rarely pick up the nasty stuff!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:38 pm
I had a similar thing happen to me recently. I clicked on a link, and a message came up saying "Do you want to see the filthiest sluts on the net?" or some **** like that. I clicked on "no" and a new box popped up saying "wrong answer" with only an "o.k." button. Pretty funny. I hit the "o.k." button and just closed the new window when it came up. No big deal. I could see how this kind of crap could be pretty annoying though.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 09:02 pm
The problem with the plugins is that if you finally click ok, that installs software (usually a trojan or spyware) onto your computer.

The whole point of the multiple prompts is to try to make you just give up and click ok.

Thankfully with default security settings the ability to make "no" the "wrong answer" is not possible.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 09:30 pm
When "OK" is the only option, try using CTRL, ALT, DELETE. Usually you can pick out the problem with the task manager and delete it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 09:31 pm
Or just make the window the focused window and hit Alt F4.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 10:08 pm
yeps that's a nasty
0 Replies