Is paper money obsolete?

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 01:15 pm
I notice that lately a lot of people everywhere are paying for even small items with debit cards or credit cards. How long do you think we have before paper money is completely done away with? Or will we always need some form of hard currency?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,796 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 01:19 pm
We will always need "hard currency" but increasingly it seems it is being regulated to inter personal exchanges. I have had a few instances where currency has been refused as it would leave no record of the transaction.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 01:22 pm
paper currency is here to stay... unless beer vendors start carrying debit card swipers.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 01:26 pm
"Loan me a fiver and user your credit card."

"Gimme a dime-bag and charge it to my card."

Hard currency is here to stay, but we could eliminate many kinds of crime if we all had a chip in either our right hand or our forehead whithout which no man may buy or sell.

tee hee
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 01:35 pm
Paper money will be with us way past your life time. There's too much in circulation around the world.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 04:13 pm
I can imagine our great-great-great grandchildren at the Smithsonian looking through a piece of glass into an exhibit. "They actually used paper for money!? What uncivilized clots!"
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 04:56 pm
Individual, There won't be any need to visit any museum in the world, because we'll have three dimensional visuals right in our living rooms. Wink
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 06:23 pm
paper money is useless, if you would all of yours to me, i'll make sure it's disposed of properly.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 06:34 pm
I love my paper money! As Craven alluded to earlier, how else would I buy all my drugs? :wink:
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 06:59 pm
Good evening to y'all...I don't know where we will be in 10 or 20 years re cash but...
I run a small chain of retail stores. each of the three an hour apart.
Store #1 is in a self-described "sophisticated" city; home to a great University: 80% credit card sales, 15% cash; 5% checks;
Store #3 is kind of in a bed-room community for DC: 70% credit card, 15% cash and 15% checks.
Store #2 is the interesting one. There is a University there but it is not elite. Credit cards 60%; checks 15% and cash 25%. The people there are mostly farm-folk. They pay as they go.
-johnboy-
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:31 pm
I we think about it, it hasn't been that long ago that everybody used hard, cold, cash. I think over 90 percent of people now carry credit cards. They are convenient, especially on world travel. We now need to exchange a minimal amount of local currency for the country we visit, and use credit card on large purchases. It works out real fine!
0 Replies