Catholic School Boycotts St Pat's Day Parade Because of Gays

Miller

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 10:55 am

Catholic school boycotts St. Patrick's Day parade because gay group will march

March 3, 2014

A Catholic school boycotts the St. Patrick's Day parade in Boston by deciding not to march in it and this news has traveled around the country. The decision came after the school learned that a gay group would be marching in the parade. On March 3, WCVB reported that The Immaculate Heart of Mary School in Harvard, Mass. will not be participating in this year's parade "after learning that a gay military veterans group" will be marching.

"The familiar scene of Saint Patrick joyfully giving his blessing to the crowds has, sad to say, come to an end. In the footsteps of Saint Patrick, IHM does not condone and will not appear to condone the homosexual lifestyle," Principal Thomas Dalton said (via WCVB).

The Catholic school is boycotting the St. Patrick's Day parade because participating in something that includes gay members of the community is against the teachings of the school. Since the Catholic church is not open to homosexuality, their decision wasn't difficult and it makes sense to them. Unfortunately said decision is based on their faith and the decision really only punishes themselves -- the parade is one of the biggest St. Patrick's Day celebrations in the country drawing about one million people each year. This year, they won't be a part of it.

"We must stand firm with the Church which states in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, promulgated by Pope John Paul II, that 'homosexual acts are acts of grave depravity' and 'are intrinsically disordered…Under no circumstances can they be approved,'" Dalton said (via WCVB).

The Catholic school's decision to boycott the St. Patrick's Day parade is crazy to some people. What do you make of it?

Examiner.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 6,892 • Replies: 34

coldjoint

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 11:17 am
@Miller,
It is their right to boycott anything they want. Somehow the poor gays will survive.
Miller

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 11:23 am
@coldjoint,
The Catholics will also survive.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 11:35 am
@Miller,
Miller? Can you explain to me why someone so conservative still lives in Massachusetts?

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 12:02 pm
@Miller,
Well, I'm waiting for Catholics to return to the medieval adage of "blessed are the poor" (it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than a rich man go to Heaven). Protestants and Jews can handle money according to the theology that good Christians (aka, Catholics) should not handle money.

I enjoy seeing people "bite their nose, to spite their face," so to speak. It warms the cockles of my heart.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 12:58 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Well, I'm waiting for Catholics to return to the medieval adage

You have Islam in 7th century, I would worry about that. And they are really fond of gays.
BillRM

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:02 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
Since the Catholic church is not open to homosexuality, their decision wasn't difficult

LOL given the studies of the percents of Catholic Priests who are homosexuals that is one hell of a joke.

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_and_Roman_Catholic_priests#Estimating_numbers

Studies find it difficult to quantify specific percentages of Roman Catholic priests who identify as gay priests,[12][not in citation given] although the John Jay Report reported that "homosexual men entered the seminaries in noticeable numbers from the late 1970s through the 1980s",[13] and available figures for homosexual priests in the United States range from 15–58%.[12][14] A 2002 Los Angeles Times nationwide poll of 1,854 priests (responding) reported that 9 percent of priests identified themselves as homosexual, and 6 percent as "somewhere in between but more on the homosexual side." Asked if a "homosexual subculture" (defined as a "definite group of persons that has its own friendships, social gatherings and vocabulary") existed in their diocese or religious order, 17 percent of the priests said "definitely," and 27 percent said "probably." 53 percent of priests who were ordained in the last 20 years (1982-2002) affirmed such a subculture existed in the seminary when they attended.[14]

Anonymous studies have also suggested a prevalence of homosexual leanings in the Roman Catholic priesthood. Studies by Wolf and Sipe from the early 1990s suggest that the percentage of priests in the Catholic Church who admitted to being gay or were in homosexual relationships was well above the national average for the United States of America.[15] Elizabeth Stuart, a former convener of the Catholic Caucus of the Lesbian and Gay Christian movement claimed, "It has been estimated that at least 33 percent of all priests in the RC Church in the United States are homosexual."[16]
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:07 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
Well, I'm waiting for Catholics to return to the medieval adage

You have Islam in 7th century, I would worry about that. And they are really fond of gays.

That's neither relevant nor factually accurate and you know it. Rolling Eyes Fundamentalists are just as monstrously homophobic as militant Christians such as yourself. So? You have that in common. Oh and a hateful disdain for Judaism as well.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Fundamentalists are just as monstrously homophobic as militant Christians such as yourself. So? You have that in common. Oh and a hateful disdain for Judaism as well.

First, Christians do not hang homos. Second, Islam is a fundamentally extreme and it not a small percentage that feel that way about gays. Third, I do not hate anyone. Hate is a word people like you just like using for lack of any cogent argument.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:35 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Catholic school boycotts St. Patrick's Day parade because gay group will march

March 3, 2014

A Catholic school boycotts the St. Patrick's Day parade in Boston by deciding not to march in it and this news has traveled around the country. The decision came after the school learned that a gay group would be marching in the parade. On March 3, WCVB reported that The Immaculate Heart of Mary School in Harvard, Mass. will not be participating in this year's parade "after learning that a gay military veterans group" will be marching.

"The familiar scene of Saint Patrick joyfully giving his blessing to the crowds has, sad to say, come to an end. In the footsteps of Saint Patrick, IHM does not condone and will not appear to condone the homosexual lifestyle," Principal Thomas Dalton said (via WCVB).

The Catholic school is boycotting the St. Patrick's Day parade because participating in something that includes gay members of the community is against the teachings of the school. Since the Catholic church is not open to homosexuality, their decision wasn't difficult and it makes sense to them. Unfortunately said decision is based on their faith and the decision really only punishes themselves -- the parade is one of the biggest St. Patrick's Day celebrations in the country drawing about one million people each year. This year, they won't be a part of it.

"We must stand firm with the Church which states in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, promulgated by Pope John Paul II, that 'homosexual acts are acts of grave depravity' and 'are intrinsically disordered…Under no circumstances can they be approved,'" Dalton said (via WCVB).

The Catholic school's decision to boycott the St. Patrick's Day parade is crazy to some people. What do you make of it?

Examiner.com

Miller, do you know if Dalton was planning to ask his students to stone any homosexuals to death for their depravity...as Dalton's God asks them to do?

Seems to me that would be the logical next step.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:39 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Miller, do you know if Dalton was planning to ask his students to stone any homosexuals to death for their depravity...as Dalton's God asks them to do?

Source.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:43 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:

Source.

The god of the Bible.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:45 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
The god of the Bible.

Gods name is Dalton.

Try again.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:46 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
The god of the Bible.

Gods name is Dalton.

Try again.

Try again for what?

And I do not think "Gods (sic) name is Dalton.)
coldjoint

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I asked for a source that verifies what you said Dalton was "planning" to say.
That you cannot produce one is no surprise.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:52 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

I asked for a source that verifies what you said Dalton was "planning" to say.
That you cannot produce one is no surprise.

Learn to read before posting, CJ.

I never said Dalton was "planning to say" anything.

Jeez!
coldjoint

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:54 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
if Dalton was planning to ask his students

When you ask do you have to say something? I think so. Now how about a source.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:56 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
if Dalton was planning to ask his students

When you ask do you have to say something? I think so. Now how about a source.

I never said Dalton was planning to ask his students anything, CJ.

If you think I did...quote it and provide a link...and we can discuss it. But you really should ask one of your school mates to help you read my post, because I did not say what you say I said.

(And it wasn't even written in cursive!)
coldjoint

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 03:21 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You did Frank, and as usual have zip to back it up. Carry on.
George

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 03:23 pm
BOSTON (CBS) – Organizers of the South Boston St. Patrick’s Day parade
have revoked their invitation to a gay rights advocacy group to march with
them on March 16.

In a statement released Tuesday, the parade organizers, the South Boston
Allied War Veterans Council, claimed they were “misled” by the group
calling themselves LGBT Veterans of Equality, which is an affiliate of Mass
Equality.

. . .

The possible inclusion of the gay group prompted a small Catholic school
in Harvard, Massachusetts to withdraw from the parade Monday.

But the principal of The Immaculate Heart of Mary School, Br. Thomas
Dalton, told WBZ-TV Tuesday his students will now participate.

Dalton said his students applauded when the decision to deny the LGBT
group from the parade was announced.

1. Forums
  2. » Catholic School Boycotts St Pat's Day Parade Because of Gays
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:06:37