Local talent you miss

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 10:23 am
I've seen many indie bands come and go, but it's the ones who really had something that just disappear for whatever reasons that I miss the most. One band I miss a lot is Kai and the War Milk Boys, too large a band for the venues they played. Kai was like the Asian Bowie....his voice was a dead ringer for Bowie circa Ziggy Stardust, and he was a talented songwriter. He also had a tendency to get naked onstage, which is quite rock 'n roll, if you ask me. He was signed to a development deal with a music publisher who Mrs. cav was working for at the time, and we all became friends. Sadly, the publisher was bought out, and run into the ground. We haven't heard from Kai since. Here are some pics:

http://www.marcine.com/gallery/commercial/concert/kai.html

Any other favorite missed local band stories are welcome.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,187 • Replies: 11
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 10:54 am
When hardcore punk was just beginning to enjoy it's brief run back in the day, we had a band around here called the Cigaretz. I loved these guys. They made the Dead Boys seem like The Osmonds. The sight of a girl with an "I Was Gang Banged By The Cigaretz" shirt absolutely warmed the heart........
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:04 pm
There was a Vancouver band called Slow who truly rocked...

http://www.canoe.ca/JamMusicPopEncycloPagesS/slow.html
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:09 pm
any toronto people know the band twitch (early 80's)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:11 pm
Never saw Twitch, but I do remember them.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:20 pm
i worked with the bass players girlfriend when i lived in toronto

only ever saw them once at their last show

good old larry's hideway
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:23 pm
Oh, Larry's...heh heh...I saw The Swans there once. Interesting show.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:24 pm
Actually, Larry's reminds me of another semi-legendary T.O. band, A Neon Rome. Those guys were good, until the singer got weird.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:27 pm
the guys from twitch told me how they once opened for a band called the tourists, and how the female singer and giutar player were kinda interesting but they didn't reallty think much of the music and figured the band was doomed

they were half right, the band fell apart but the singer and guitar player went on to become the eurhythmics

you just never know. eh
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:29 pm
So true....Amanda Marshall, pop diva, was a high-school friend of mine. I have an acapella demo tape from her from those days that she made me promise never to release. It's actually pretty good.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 05:16 am
Some news about one of the members of A Neon Rome, who just happens to be the brother of a girl I had a real crush on at university:

http://www.linkhorn.com/artist.php?artist=JBORRA&sid=1081009995
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:09 pm
Through the magic of A2K, Kai found this thread and sent me a PM regarding his new band, Universal Love Attack, who just happen to be playing tomorrow night in Toronto. We're going to check it out. Their site looks awesome, and you can preview some of their tracks. www.universalloveattack.com.
0 Replies