Interracial marriage

Linkat

Mon 3 Mar, 2014 02:34 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
personal note my own family is of mixed races.

Actually I think having mixed races within a family in the US is more common than not having mixed race within your family.

very few families (at least that I am aware of) do not have some mixed races in their immediate family
Ragman

Mon 3 Mar, 2014 02:38 pm
@Linkat,
America is not a race. It would be categorized as a nationality.

However, that being said, he/she might be an anti-American.
Baldimo

Mon 3 Mar, 2014 03:02 pm
@Wilso,
I'd be willing to bet, that the US for all it's flack as a "racist" nation has a higher rate of interracial marriage then the EU.

Any takers?
Linkat

Mon 3 Mar, 2014 03:31 pm
@Ragman,
I do realize this of course (I would hope anyone with a 3rd grade education level would) --- I was trying to be funny ---
Ragman

Mon 3 Mar, 2014 03:37 pm
@Linkat,
No Problemmo. I was attempting to be too dense to realize it.
Linkat

Mon 3 Mar, 2014 03:45 pm
@Ragman,
well i do have my blond/senior moments.
0 Replies

contrex

Mon 3 Mar, 2014 04:46 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

I'd be willing to bet, that the US for all it's flack as a "racist" nation has a higher rate of interracial marriage then the EU.

How would anybody know, given that EU countries don't record the 'race' of people getting married? There is very little published data.

BillRM

Mon 3 Mar, 2014 05:11 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
How would anybody know, given that EU countries don't record the 'race' of people getting married? There is very little published data.

No one have done a survey in the EU?
chai2

Mon 3 Mar, 2014 05:28 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Wilso wrote:
I stand corrected.

British people who happen to be black are often amused when white Americans call them "African Americans". I guess it's because they don't know what else to say?

Wow, some Americans actually say that to a British black person? They call a British person as a (fill in the blank)-American?

Well, that's just plain dumb.

For the record, I've been corrected maybe twice by black people who stated they wished to be called "african-american"....yes, they are americans. In other words, from what I see, it's not that common to want to be referred to that way.

contrex

Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:52 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

No one have done a survey in the EU?

The EU is 28 separate countries. Some publish figures for foreign marriage partners but 'race' is not usually surveyed.
BillRM

Tue 4 Mar, 2014 03:39 am
@contrex,
Quote:
The EU is 28 separate countries. Some publish figures for foreign marriage partners but 'race' is not usually surveyed.

With hundreds of universities in the EU no one had apply and gotten a grant to do such a study?

Off hand that seems kind of strange unless the EU is not the same as the US in their professors not dreaming up every possible reason/excuse to apply for a research grant.
contrex

Tue 4 Mar, 2014 10:32 am
@BillRM,
Around 10% of children under 16 on the UK have mixed race parentage according to the Office Of National Statistics.
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 4 Mar, 2014 12:32 pm
About the only study I could find in the US of interracial couples was the following:

2008 Pew Research Center Report (U.S. Census Bureau’s 2008 American Community Survey)The study found that in 2008:[12]

A record 14.6% of all new marriages in the United States in 2008 were between spouses of a different race or ethnicity from one another. This compares to 8.0% of all current marriages regardless of when they occurred. This includes marriages between a Hispanic and non-Hispanic (Hispanics are an ethnic group, not a race) as well as marriages between spouses of different races – be they white, black, Asian, American Indian or those who identify as being of multiple races or some other race.
http://pewsocialtrends.org/files/2010/10/755-marrying-out.pdf

Anything I can find on Europe is broken down by the particular country so you cannot really compare Europe to America -- and almost like the US - it depends alot of where you are from -- some countries in Europe (like Great Britain) have a higher percentage of this similar to certain parts of the US.
Baldimo

Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:13 pm
@Linkat,
A comparison between any country and the US will work. Remember the US is a single country like France or the UK. Comparing it to the EU would only work if you were using North America. A country to country comparison would work fine.
gungasnake

Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:19 pm
@mabdy,
Quote:
Can an Arab royal marry a black woman?

Arab royals have been known to PURCHASE black women; MARRYING one would be highly unusual, it's probably never happened.

0 Replies

contrex

Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:44 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Wow, some Americans actually say that to a British black person? They call a British person as a (fill in the blank)-American?

There's no need to fill in any blanks; they say "African-American", even though the people they are talking about are British with roots in the West Indies. It's because they are scared to say 'black'. I was originally thinking about white Americans visiting the UK and being unsure how to politely refer to British black people (The answer is 'black' if their colour really needs to be mentioned for some reason). I have heard of British black people getting really pissed off when they go to the USA and get told they are "African Americans".

Apparently when he visited the USA an American interviewer started her question: 'As an African-American...' causing even him a wear a look of disdain momentarily.

I found this...

http://niketalk.com/content/type/61/id/553256/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:58 pm
We've got a mixed bag of coloureds here in Britain..Smile
A nice negro type is usually innocently referred to as a "blackie" it's not meant to be offensive.
If people wanted to be mildly offensive they'd refer to him as a "black".
Brits refer to nice Indians and Pakistanis as "Asians".
They call nice Muslims "Muslims" and nice Somalians "Somalians"

But if any of the above groups are not nice they get called n*ggers.
The Brits are a tolerant race but can only be pushed so far..Wink
contrex

Tue 4 Mar, 2014 02:12 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

We've got a mixed bag of coloureds here in Britain..Smile
A nice negro type is usually innocently referred to as a "blackie" it's not meant to be offensive.

This is rubbish.
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 4 Mar, 2014 03:49 pm
@Baldimo,
of course - but some one mentioned comparing the US to Europe -- this was in response to that -- that I could not find any data for all of Europe so I can't compare all of Europe to the US -- only a country to country comparasion.
Baldimo

Tue 4 Mar, 2014 03:59 pm
@Linkat,
It was me, I think. It is easy to forget how large the US is compared to other countries in the EU. You almost want to look at the EU as one big country.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 12:22:59